Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Note that I've not discounted the snow chances - - it's a lively / noisy signal into the 10-15 days UKMO prog for snow but innumerable caveats attached on a regional scale. This next stalling / waving front event tomorrow will be a forecasting headache for us in many respects (snow forecasts are rightly always left as late as possible and here's the exemplar why)..... I'm not going to be surprised if the likes of Beds, Herts, parts of Bucks, Cambs, Northants, Essex see some snow from all this but maybe a transient point of interest.... hey-ho, roll-on spring / summer and the big convective stuff!

One of your old colleagues Isobel Lang on Sky News said there is a chance of wintry showers in the SE tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

yep. something more reliable to forecast and just as enjoyable to get a good thunder/lightning storm as it is to get snow. :)

.... or both at the same time! Night time blizzard with purple lightning please! :D

(Medium intensity sleet turning slowly to snow at the moment)

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

One of your old colleagues Isobel Lang on Sky News said there is a chance of wintry showers in the SE tomorrow.

And as ever, she is fab. Cover all bases is the watchword, because (note previous remarks) the frontal wave and PPN intensity will prove critical with the WBFL and attendant wintry 'flavour' (or not). It's almost a nowcast gig, frankly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

heavy snow here - ct18 se kent, not forecast... cars roofs close got a dusting in half hour already

Posted

hey-ho, roll-on spring / summer and the big convective stuff!

(PS even the 'warmer' outliers in our 10-15 day analyses want to offer colder air back into the UK by Day 10...... please bear this in mind)

Ian

Get yourself over to the USA One year and see some proper convection :D:)

I have a feeling the Beeb wont allow it sadly LOL

Regards

Paul S

Posted

And as ever, she is fab. Cover all bases is the watchword, because (note previous remarks) the frontal wave and PPN intensity will prove critical with the WBFL and attendant wintry 'flavour' (or not). It's almost a nowcast gig, frankly.

yep. dew points and radar will be the order of the day i think (in my very limited knowledge of weather that is)

the PPN on the Kent coast is nearly into the N Sea now, another band is passing North London. Luton/Beds area just about to hit hemel i think :D

Posted

Ian

Get yourself over to the USA One year and see some proper convection whistling.gifrofl.gif

I have a feeling the Beeb wont allow it sadly LOL

Regards

Paul S

LOL

Paul - my younger brother is a pilot with American Airlines based in Dallas (for over 10 years); my other relatives are in Nashville; so I've seen a fair bit of the 'amusement value' from local storms albeit some of my brother's photos taken from the flightdeck of microbursts and supercell overshooting tops are more than enough to sell any stormchasing tours at ground-level!

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

heavy snow here - ct18 se kent, not forecast... cars roofs close got a dusting in half hour already

same near deal, heavy wet snow, settling on cars

Posted

Yep its one of those classic 50-50 set-ups where any altitude and also the strength of the precip could mean one place gets snow whilst just down the road it remains as rain. I suspect once we get to tomorrow eveing the greatest chances for this region conmmence however its possible for the SE it may not be quite far enough to the SE and any risk is slightly further NW.

Posted

so in summary, whats going on? am i right to deduct its a lottery for kent tomorrow-weds?

Posted

so in summary, whats going on? am i right to deduct its a lottery for kent tomorrow-weds?

From what i gather its a lottery for most of usdrinks.gif

Posted

LOL

Paul - my younger brother is a pilot with American Airlines based in Dallas (for over 10 years); my other relatives are in Nashville; so I've seen a fair bit of the 'amusement value' from local storms albeit some of my brother's photos taken from the flightdeck of microbursts and supercell overshooting tops are more than enough to sell any stormchasing tours at ground-level!

Well he might be flying me back then as I am with AA This year, will listen out for Captain Fergusson on the Tannoy :)

You never know we might get enough Cape and Low level shear for a Supercell this year, the West is due a good un after last years let down :D Make sure you follow the thread in 10 weeks time though.

Cant wait for this cold winter to bugger off personally though!

Paul S

Posted

lol

That thing is still there just across the road from me...

Posted

have you seen the one where they are skiing down old high street on youtube - search folkestone snow february

Posted

have you seen the one where they are skiing down old high street on youtube - search folkestone snow february

Heh... that's steep too!

The snow brought out the artistic in people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCdE1c41IoY

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Snows here when it rains in other places and rains here where it seems to be snowing everywhere else. After another icy frosty day, the remains of my snow from that wonderful party fest last Weds/Thurs is suddenly vanishing far more quickly than any of the sun that it has been exposed to over the last several days. The blizzard like powder snow blowing around suddenly seems a long way awaysad.gif

The proper cold air, still just a stone throw away to the east should be coming in from the east right now - why did this crappy low have to interfere!

Give me my north sea snow maker back anyday. I loathe south westerly winds!girl_devil.giftease.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Snows here when it rains in other places and rains here where it seems to be snowing everywhere else. After another icy frosty day, the remains of my snow from that wonderful party fest last Weds/Thurs is suddenly vanishing far more quickly than any of the sun that it has been exposed to over the last several days. The blizzard like powder snow blowing around suddenly seems a long way awaysad.gif

The proper cold air, still just a stone throw away to the east should be coming in from the east right now - why did this crappy low have to interfere!

Give me my north sea snow maker back anyday. I loathe south westerly winds!girl_devil.giftease.gif

and here we go again :lol: latest model chat is talking about widespread snow come Friday .... yeah, yeah :D

and here we go again rolleyes.gif latest model chat is talking about widespread snow come Friday .... yeah, yeah laugh.gif

Not for our region though.

I know that last week didn't produce snow for everyone, and some of us were very lucky indeed to get the brilliant snow we did, so sorry for appearing to grumble - but that kind of pattern is much better for this region as a whole than the one this week. This is too far north for us. Lots of cold rain and a bit of sleet is about the best I think - for all of us, except a high hillsmile.gif

Posted

Not for our region though.

I know that last week didn't produce snow for everyone, and some of us were very lucky indeed to get the brilliant snow we did, so sorry for appearing to grumble - but that kind of pattern is much better for this region as a whole than the one this week. This is too far north for us. Lots of cold rain and a bit of sleet is about the best I think - for all of us, except a high hillsmile.gif

well lets face it; back end of Feb; sun got some warmth to it; winds coming from west, i suppose it makes a change ;)

well lets face it; back end of Feb; sun got some warmth to it; winds coming from west, i suppose it makes a change rolleyes.gif

If you like that sort of thing!

*me I'll pass*biggrin.gif

Posted

If you like that sort of thing!

*me I'll pass*biggrin.gif

oh dont get me wrong, i would pass too. but unfortunately we have been spoilt this winter and it will have to end eventually ;)

Guest archiesmummy

ok, i know i dont know much about the weather but am very interested in it and love reading the posts and also posting on here.

I accept we are unlikly now to see snow here anymore at the moment, but when I have just watched my local weather and not just to see if its going to snow but whatever the weather is going to do i think we deserve a better forecast than....

"its colder than it should be" that was the forecast

Great!!!! so does that mean it will rain/sleet/snow/hurricane/...what?

great forecast....sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok here is the next date to meet up!air_kiss.gif

h850t850eu.png

Not often you see me look to the last frame in GFS FI!rofl.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection