Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

ok, i know i dont know much about the weather but am very interested in it and love reading the posts and also posting on here.

I accept we are unlikly now to see snow here anymore at the moment, but when I have just watched my local weather and not just to see if its going to snow but whatever the weather is going to do i think we deserve a better forecast than....

"its colder than it should be" that was the forecast

Great!!!! so does that mean it will rain/sleet/snow/hurricane/...what?

great forecast....sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate it when they get so non-commital with the forecast. you would think they could at least explain why its so hard to forecast ahead when the synoptics are confusing ;)

Guest archiesmummy

i hate it when they get so non-commital with the forecast. you would think they could at least explain why its so hard to forecast ahead when the synoptics are confusing smile.gif

exactly! its like they just picked a junior researcher from somewhere and said "do us a favour we have no one to read the weather, just go with its cold, that will be fine!"

biggrin.gif

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

Snowed heavily for a while here earlier, laid easily on the already frozen ground and snow already down. Turned back to drizzle for the bit then sleet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Rain...mega_shok.gifmad.gif

Same here, heavy rain, and its my birthday, YUK!

This vile low from the North has well and truly pushed out all the cold air now. :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Happy Birthday Snowray!! It's mine on Saturday and I'm hoping for some quiet weather! I know what you mean about the rain, up to 35mm we could get today, yippee, not! It was lovely, cold but dry last week and this week, well.......nonono.gif I want a combination of heavy PPN and the cold!! I wonder what the house prices are like in Scotland......... smile.gif

Posted

This vile low from the North has well and truly pushed out all the cold air now. :aggressive:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Unfortunately so.....we will have to wait to the back end of the week for anything colder again (in terms of temps and ppn) of course! who knows though, charts are once again, up in the air although the GFS is leaning towards a colder scenario for the last part of feb into the first week of march as shown by the charts on this thread for the 3rd also March was shown as being possible colder than average too!

Edited by snowfish

Guest archiesmummy

This vile low from the North has well and truly pushed out all the cold air now. nonono.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

rain here too, all morning...some sites suggesting wet and rainy through daylight hours and that cold air pushing up tonight could turn it snowy?????????????

Posted

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

rain here too, all morning...some sites suggesting wet and rainy through daylight hours and that cold air pushing up tonight could turn it snowy?????????????

I have sleet in the heavier precipitation. With this front moving nowhere fast and even backing-double across the region later, I wouldn't write off anything more wintry for later, especially out of town.

Posted

I have sleet in the heavier precipitation. With this front moving nowhere fast and even backing-double across the region later, I wouldn't write off anything more wintry for later, especially out of town.

Yes its more likly to turn wintry as it backtracks on us later, as it backtracks we pull cooler contential winds.

The further north of our region you are the better chance of seeing snow, hence meto warnings.

wouldent give much hope for ppl like me on the southcoast

p.s Happy bday snowray!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Yes its more likly to turn wintry as it backtracks on us later, as it backtracks we pull cooler contential winds.

The further north of our region you are the better chance of seeing snow, hence meto warnings.

p.s Happy bday snowray!drunk.gif

Sometimes I love living on the south coast as only a short drive to the beach in the summer etc but during winter it becomes a bit frustrating! But I'm entering into the spirit of the wet weather; I'm going for a swim! (not in the sea though...smile.gif )

Posted

Sometimes I love living on the south coast as only a short drive to the beach in the summer etc but during winter it becomes a bit frustrating! But I'm entering into the spirit of the wet weather; I'm going for a swim! (not in the sea though...smile.gif )

Yes its very fustating in winter, looking out your window seeing rain and knowing that 10 miles inland theres snow!

Have fun, think i might find my nearest hill and drive up it, to see if i can find sleet. :lol:

Just had a look at NW radar, wow!

post-10842-12663173391217_thumb.png

Some really heavy ppn moving in. could see an intresting mix of ppn in one of them pink spots.

shouldent be posting NW radar but have to show it off. net weather radar £3.49 a month. bargin!8)

Edited by thegreat316

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

This low sticking its feet in has certainly bought the leftovers of last weeks fun and games to a rapid end. A pretty depressing grey morning with yuksville south westerly winds and rain. Apart from a very few forlorn rapidly dwindling blobs of snow left, the rest of the remaining snow cover as of up to yesterday evening has gone.

Perhaps a little sleet for a few areas of the region later on today, but the outlook for this region for the rest of the week and into the weekend too is fairly forgettable with rain from time to time and the wind in completely the wrong direction after joys of last week. In the circumstances the best to hope for is as few showers as possible and maybe the chance of some overnight frost.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

This low sticking its feet in has certainly bought the leftovers of last weeks fun and games to a rapid end. A pretty depressing grey morning with yuksville south westerly winds and rain. Apart from a very few forlorn rapidly dwindling blobs of snow left, the rest of the remaining snow cover as of up to yesterday evening has gone.

Perhaps a little sleet for a few areas of the region later on today, but the outlook for this region for the rest of the week and into the weekend too is fairly forgettable with rain from time to time and the wind in completely the wrong direction after joys of last week. In the circumstances the best to hope for is as few showers as possible and maybe the chance of some overnight frost.

i agree that this is the most likly outcome, however theres still a small chance that we see rain to snow, snow to rain events this week into the weekend.

Although us in the south of this region will likly see alot of rain, those further north stil could see a few snow events.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

i agree that this is the most likly outcome, however theres still a small chance that we see rain to snow, snow to rain events this week into the weekend.

Although us in the south of this region will likly see alot of rain, those further north stil could see a few snow events.

Yes, the end of the week and weekend could indeed see some marginal snow north of London - but I very much doubt it will amount to much if it occurs. Most of the time though just looks rather wet for most.

Posted

New meto warnings for...............

cted Warning type Valid from Valid to London & South East England: Brighton + Hove E Sussex W Sussex Heavy Rain 1248 Tue 16 2100 Tue 16 Outbreaks of showery rain are expected during the rest of this afternoon and into the evening. Some of this will be heavy bringing 15mm in three hours locally and up to 25mm in places by mid evening.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1249 Tue 16 Feb

:wallbash:

the ppn towards the IOW looks intense,

post-10842-12663256536117_thumb.png

Edited by thegreat316

Posted

Yep the maion risk down here is probably from heavy rain rather then heavy snow, can't even rule out localised flooding...however I also think to totally rule out the risk of snow is also foolish given todays morning models have changed the synoptic evolution and some ensemble members don't even show any southerly drag infront of the lows any more...however I do agree that the main risk is indeed for those north of our region, from Midlands northwards.

So whilst the attention will be on the north, its worth watching just in case we get a few surprises...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Happy Birthday Snowray!! It's mine on Saturday and I'm hoping for some quiet weather! I know what you mean about the rain, up to 35mm we could get today, yippee, not! It was lovely, cold but dry last week and this week, well.......nonono.gif I want a combination of heavy PPN and the cold!! I wonder what the house prices are like in Scotland......... smile.gif

:lol: Yup, lets all move to Scotland, but move back South for the Summer because they dont get one up there! :lol:

Thanks slb, I would have loved the birthday snow treat today that MO had up on Sunday on their website.

Happy birthday to you for Saturday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Unfortunately so.....we will have to wait to the back end of the week for anything colder again (in terms of temps and ppn) of course! who knows though, charts are once again, up in the air although the GFS is leaning towards a colder scenario for the last part of feb into the first week of march as shown by the charts on this thread for the 3rd also March was shown as being possible colder than average too!

Thanks Snowfish. Well I defo think we have still got some fun and games to come. :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Hey thanks. :) I'm not expecting and snow later here, but still keeping my fingers very crossed, just in case!

p.s Happy bday snowray!:drunk:

Thanks!! :D Yup in think places North of London and on higher ground might get lucky later tonight.

New meto warnings for...............

cted Warning type Valid from Valid to London & South East England: Brighton + Hove E Sussex W Sussex Heavy Rain 1248 Tue 16 2100 Tue 16 Outbreaks of showery rain are expected during the rest of this afternoon and into the evening. Some of this will be heavy bringing 15mm in three hours locally and up to 25mm in places by mid evening.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1249 Tue 16 Feb

:wallbash:

Yukkkkkkkkkkk, Why dont we get all this PPN when temps are cold enogh for snowfall?????????? :acute:

Edited by snowray

Posted

Yukkkkkkkkkkk, Why dont we get all this PPN when temps are cold enogh for snowfall?????????? :nonono:

I know! could of been 20cm of snow rather then 20mm of rain, oh well.

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

You have to laugh at the MetoOffice warnings. It was a fairly wet morning in Brighton, until about 12:45 when it stopped raining. About 5 minutes later the MetoOffice issue a severe weather warning for Brighton & Hove and it hasn't rained since! I realise it has been very wet in parts of West Sussex and Surrey this afternoon, but not here in Brighton. !!

Posted

You have to laugh at the MetoOffice warnings. It was a fairly wet morning in Brighton, until about 12:45 when it stopped raining. About 5 minutes later the MetoOffice issue a severe weather warning for Brighton & Hove and it hasn't rained since! I realise it has been very wet in parts of West Sussex and Surrey this afternoon, but not here in Brighton. !!

I was just laughing at that as well, it hasn't rained for the last few hours..