Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 9

Posted

630! You'll be lucky lol! Temp is 1.2c here now with wet snow. According to the forecast MK will get more than here! Northampton seems to be the best spot for tommorow morning. If the forecasts are correct then the snow will die out as you head south in the morning. Doubt it will be that bad to be honest...Depends how badly you want to get there lol!

I dont really want to go, Id rather be in the office in MK, but this is one of those times when I have to be somewhere!!

That line of heavey precip is not moving anywhere fast, it is just sitting there with its NW edge stretching from Reading, to Luton to Cambridge.

When is it supposed to be on the move, already if the beeb are to be believed.

Posted

This is the longest it has stayed as snow now, settling on cars.

I feel this may keep as snow now, maybe not but it has been for a little while now compared to the other couple of times.

Posted

I dont really want to go, Id rather be in the office in MK, but this is one of those times when I have to be somewhere!!

That line of heavey precip is not moving anywhere fast, it is just sitting there with its NW edge stretching from Reading, to Luton to Cambridge.

When is it supposed to be on the move, already if the beeb are to be believed.

Its due to pivot so the line will move NW. I think the northern extent will be a bit further south than forecast and the 18z has revised it further south. Could be snow in MK until mid day I rekon. It will loose intnsity through the morning, the worst of it could fall in rush hour though. I rekon you should leave a bit later tommorow to miss the worst of the traffic. Remember that which ever way you go you will cross higher ground so it will be worse there. Parts of the M1 around north Luton are 200m ASL! Going to bed soon hope to wake to a winter wonderland but expect it to be mud and slush - tru brit tyle!

Still sleet here by the way, no sign of settling yet

**Edit**

More like snow now and temp has dropped to 0.9c so expect it to start settling soon

Met office have removed the warnings for our area. Areas now shown at risk are West midlands and NW England!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

Its due to pivot so the line will move NW. I think the northern extent will be a bit further south than forecast and the 18z has revised it further south. Could be snow in MK until mid day I rekon. It will loose intnsity through the morning, the worst of it could fall in rush hour though. I rekon you should leave a bit later tommorow to miss the worst of the traffic. Remember that which ever way you go you will cross higher ground so it will be worse there. Parts of the M1 around north Luton are 200m ASL! Going to bed soon hope to wake to a winter wonderland but expect it to be mud and slush - tru brit tyle!

Still sleet here by the way, no sign of settling yet

**Edit**

More like snow now and temp has dropped to 0.9c so expect it to start settling soon

Met office have removed the warnings for our area. Areas now shown at risk are West midlands and NW England!

They need to start nowcasting, it is that marginal, we saw this in Jan and the beeb took a hamering on this forum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Light sleet just started hererolleyes.gif

Posted

It's trying to do something out there albeit very lightly. Main threat for snow is now further north and west later in the day tomorrow. (sigh)

There's still Thursday to watch out for though and that could be a good one if all goes to plan ala GFS 18z.

Posted

It's trying to do something out there albeit very lightly. Main threat for snow is now further north and west later in the day tomorrow. (sigh)

There's still Thursday to watch out for though and that could be a good one if all goes to plan ala GFS 18z.

Just some light rain by the looks of it outside. The band seems to be dying on its backside with only some light showers forming further west. Oh well i'll open the curtains in about 6 hours time and see. Its pleasing there is the prospect of Thursday so soon, not the usual GFS snowfall event in 4-5 days that never materialises once the big day is upon us. Not to say it will either, but you'd expect the chances are higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Astonishing- it was raining in Norwich an hour ago, so I was shocked to look out of the window and see falling and accumulating snow out there!

Posted

Absolutely amazing here... we have had the most amazing fall of completely thin air overnight!! whistling.gifcc_confused.gif

Grey.. again!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The snow accumulated between 0:30 and 1:30am in Norwich giving about a centimetre on the ground but I assume it warmed up with light rain after that (it was starting to turn sleety again by 1:30) because there's now just a tiny smattering on the ground in parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Woke up to .........................................damp grey drizzle mad.gif

I am so pleased I didn't get my 'snow hopes' up too much, just had a bad feeling it would be a damp squib.

Question is where did the snow go (St Albans did you get it ? ) , or did it just fizzle out cc_confused.gif

I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow morning, looking at the Beeb forcast I stand a better chance of seeing some snow there (that's not why I'm going though whistling.gif honest !)

Hopefully Snowman or TEITS (who I don't think has posted on this regional thread for ages) will give us their views on the outlook for Friday and the weekend later today

.....come on guys, give us a little hope acute.gif pleeeeeese !

Posted

Woke up to .........................................damp grey drizzle mad.gif

I am so pleased I didn't get my 'snow hopes' up too much, just had a bad feeling it would be a damp squib.

Question is where did the snow go (St Albans did you get it ? ) , or did it just fizzle out cc_confused.gif

I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow morning, looking at the Beeb forcast I stand a better chance of seeing some snow there (that's not why I'm going though whistling.gif honest !)

Hopefully Snowman or TEITS (who I don't think has posted on this regional thread for ages) will give us their views on the outlook for Friday and the weekend later today

.....come on guys, give us a little hope acute.gif pleeeeeese !

At this range there is a chance for a snow event Saturday night, some quite heavy PPN, we will have colder uppers than last night, I will go into more detail this evening.....

And Thursday possibly in some areas aswell, but most likely in Northern and Western areas of the region. We are likely to have the snow supporting uppers for some time yet IMO, so there will be chances for snow

Edit: Advisories for tomorrow have been issued for some of our region, they suggest 5-10cm in places, I would think in this region TEITS location (Peterborough) would do best

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Ok so looking likely that those in the more northern and western part of the region, may well do quite nicely out of tomorrows event.

Of course as I am sure TEITS and maybe a few of the other more experienced posters will advise,others in the region should keep an eye on this as well.

The current track and indeed areas to be impacted reminds me of one of the snow events in Feb 2009.

Posted

Ok so looking likely that those in the more northern and western part of the region, may well do quite nicely out of tomorrows event.

Of course as I am sure TEITS and maybe a few of the other more experienced posters will advise,others in the region should keep an eye on this as well.

The current track and indeed areas to be impacted reminds me of one of the snow events in Feb 2009.

Im thinking Feb 5th 2009, where the line between rain and snow was about 20 miles south of me, I got a decent amount of snow on that day, while others had rain....

Posted

Im thinking Feb 5th 2009, where the line between rain and snow was about 20 miles south of me, I got a decent amount of snow on that day, while others had rain....

Yes certainly was after the 2nd Feb event, the track then on 5th as you suggest looks similar to this. Certainly looks very interesting.

You are quite correct, I think places literally 10-20 miles north and west had some decent snow amounts and we got mainly lighter snow and sleet/rain here in East Herts.

Edited by Hammer

Posted

Yes certainly was after the 2nd Feb event, the track then on 5th as you suggest looks similar to this. Certainly looks very interesting.

You are quite correct, I think places literally 10-20 miles north and west had some decent snow amounts and we got mainly lighter snow and sleet/rain here in East Herts.

Its going to be marginal tomorrow, the further north and west the better I should think as the western flank of the front contains the coldest air, the latest GFS shows me just within the snow line, we shall see later on how this develops...

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Its going to be marginal tomorrow, the further north and west the better I should think as the western flank of the front contains the coldest air, the latest GFS shows me just within the snow line, we shall see later on how this develops...

Yes agree about the locations on current data, and about it being marginal. I am hoping the track is futher south and east, so that I am included in that snow line. Certainly a possibility with the event being about 24 hours or so away.

Posted

Raising the St Ives snowshield tonight just to be sure

Poor old Ants have already been snowed in once this winter and would hate for it to happen again