Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

You may begin again.

Posted

Lovely starry sky and currently -2c with no wind and ground frezing up. We have a medium aurora tonight with 3 yellow/green arcs to the north with occasional moving cutains, the first one I have seen for a long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

A nice fresh thread. Perfect timing for the start of some radar watching.

1.7 C here and slowly dropping.

The front off Aberdeen looks seriously beefy; maybe I should tell Total I need another emergency visit to St. Fergus tomorrow.biggrin.gif

Lots of showers coming in behind, so I guess I'll just have to hope some make it here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Posted

18z NAE once again moves the main threat a touch further north, back close to where it was on the 06z run. Main risk zone for 10cm+ falls is in a triangle between aberdeen, Inverness and Wick, smaller smalls as far south as Dundee westward but it looks like being a fairly sharp cutoff point.

This image shows well what is expected:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/10021700_1518.gif

Also worth watching the 18z NAE has a bullseye of 25-35cms of snowfall, its just a matter of whether that falls near a populated area or near the highlands...

Posted

post-9298-12662708011117_thumb.png

EPIC!

Easy tiger.

Would be nice thoughbiggrin.gif

1.5 C here and still liquid snow unfortunately.

Posted

-1C here now, so the little Fischer's on the Forth Clyde canal the swans were starting to use will be frozen by the morning again.

Nice to see KW adding to the great updates from LS.

I see from the latest updates snow might be a premium here to start with. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Easy tiger.

Would be nice thoughbiggrin.gif

1.5 C here and still liquid snow unfortunately.

How far from Greenlaw are you? we have nothing ;)

Temp 1.2, dp -1.4, hum 83%, baro 991hPa

Posted

-2C white frost here. Had to scrape my car windscreen when i went out at 6.15pm down into Inverness. Free of ice coming back from Inverness......freezing hard up here above Inverness now.

Don't know what happened to the shower band approaching the north west earlier......hitting the mountains in the northwest and fizzling out. May have a dusting by the morn.

Has this thread gone German?........Was that Mein Fuhrer who made an appearance? ;)

Edited by Gilly

Posted

-1C here now, so the little Fischer's on the Forth Clyde canal the swans were starting to use will be frozen by the morning again.

I see from the latest updates snow might be a premium here to start with. nonono.gif

Count yourself lucky you don't live in the south - at least it looks like being cold enough for snow for 90% of this week. The 18Z shows that we can't possibly dismiss snowfall this week - only 66 hours out too!

LS

Posted

I'm afriad your going to be lumbered with me for a little bit yet, i suppose the fact I am part Scottish makes me feel a little more at home ;)

Anyway the models seems to be now suggesting the heaviest precip may just hold slightly to the north of the Aberdeen-Inverness line but we shall see, and as LS said, coiunt yoursefl lucky, I have pretty much no chance of getting snow and quite probably will not see much more snow till next winter now!

Posted

How far from Greenlaw are you? we have nothing sad.gif

Temp 1.2, dp -1.4, hum 83%, baro 991hPa

I did say 'liquid' snow, i.e. good old scots rain biggrin.gif

1.4 C here. must be ~7 miles west of you. Near Blainslie on the edge of the hills to the west of the leader/A68.

Posted

I'm afriad your going to be lumbered with me for a little bit yet, i suppose the fact I am part Scottish makes me feel a little more at home :wallbash:

Anyway the models seems to be now suggesting the heaviest precip may just hold slightly to the north of the Aberdeen-Inverness line but we shall see, and as LS said, coiunt yoursefl lucky, I have pretty much no chance of getting snow and quite probably will not see much more snow till next winter now!

After the December Jan snow, counting anything now as a bonus.

Posted

I'm afriad your going to be lumbered with me for a little bit yet, i suppose the fact I am part Scottish makes me feel a little more at home tongue.gif

Indeed.Thanks for your input also, much appreciated. I think we still have one more event left in the tank left so to speak, for Aberdeen/Inverness maybe more and certainly more potential for one tomorrow night but until things get down to NMM scale all we can really say is that there is potential for major frontal snowfall also for southern, central and eastern Scotland on Thursday and onwards as well. Clear skies here with the temperature at -0.4C and dropping quickly. I love the met office Ice warnings, especially in early January when, with inches of snow on the ground which had turned to pack ice on most minor roads even in populated areas, they still put an ice warning out for places which saw light showers at 3pm with temperatures which dipped to -1C and left the barren wastelands of the north without so much as an advisory! Those were the days. Anyway, ice warnings out for all of western Scotland tonight which also brings the tantalising risk of a cm or two of snow if you get lucky with a few showers. This is likely to continue to be an issue through tomorrow and into Wednesday, though the main activity is further northeast. http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/10021712_1518.gif

Maybe a light covering in Glasgow at some point.

LS

Posted

18z NAE once again moves the main threat a touch further north, back close to where it was on the 06z run. Main risk zone for 10cm+ falls is in a triangle between aberdeen, Inverness and Wick, smaller smalls as far south as Dundee westward but it looks like being a fairly sharp cutoff point.

This image shows well what is expected:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/15/basis18/ukuk/prty/10021700_1518.gif

Also worth watching the 18z NAE has a bullseye of 25-35cms of snowfall, its just a matter of whether that falls near a populated area or near the highlands...

I noticed the mountain forecast(MWIS) mentioned the Moray Firth area a lot about heavy snow for tomorrow and I thought it was a bit out of their remit to be discussing low ground so maybe we will end up quite white tomorrow as we are right in the firing line. This winter up here will be truly amazing if this occurs. According to latest figures some 3500 farm buildings in Scotland collapsed under the weight of snow in January and February so any more heavy falls will not be welcome by some.

Posted

I noticed the mountain forecast(MWIS) mentioned the Moray Firth area a lot about heavy snow for tomorrow and I thought it was a bit out of their remit to be discussing low ground so maybe we will end up quite white tomorrow as we are right in the firing line. This winter up here will be truly amazing if this occurs. According to latest figures some 3500 farm buildings in Scotland collapsed under the weight of snow in January and February so any more heavy falls will not be welcome by some.

I think 15-20cm would not be an unreasonable guess for your location NL. Even if the precipitation is pushed further north that still looks a reasonable guess, but more than that is not out of the question at all.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Looks to me like temps and dps will be a touch high for settling snow if you're within a few miles of the sea and at low level. There'll certainly be plenty off ppn from that angle though, but quite where is not yet settled. Somewhere will get a pasting, that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-2C white frost here. Had to scrape my car windscreen when i went out at 6.15pm down into Inverness. Free of ice coming back from Inverness......freezing hard up here above Inverness now.

Don't know what happened to the shower band approaching the north west earlier......hitting the mountains in the northwest and fizzling out. May have a dusting by the morn.

Has this thread gone German?........Was that Mein Fuhrer who made an appearance? :wallbash:

Looking like the possibility of snow for you in Sneck tomorrow morning, probably going to be quite prolonged and heavy at times. We all know how much Inbhir Nis loves its NE winds ;)

P.S, looking forward to that road that you will eventually get connecting you to Slacbuie? :D

Posted

I think 15-20cm would not be an unreasonable guess for your location NL. Even if the precipitation is pushed further north that still looks a reasonable guess, but more than that is not out of the question at all.

LS

Thanks for the update still frosty here at -2c so good base available for snow..

Mean"t to say December and January when refering to building collpses. Mrs Northernlights returns to the class room after the mid term break tomorrow and with Moray Firth radio broadcasting a message today from Highland Council to say that it must not be assumed that there is any salt left to treat the side roads then driving to work may not be to clever. Winter road maintenance planning for next year is going to be interesting, several stretches of the A96 just below us have just been resurfaced this last week as they were totally disintegrating into a mass of potholes caused by the severe weather of December and January.

Posted

Just let Misty the 14 year old one eyed cat back in and there is still a small aurora to the north with some flickering curtains partly obscured by cloud.

Posted

:wallbash:

Looking like the possibility of snow for you in Sneck tomorrow morning, probably going to be quite prolonged and heavy at times. We all know how much Inbhir Nis loves its NE winds ;)

P.S, looking forward to that road that you will eventually get connecting you to Slacbuie? :D

Hmmmmph ........That will be a rat run, that new road passes by my house at Milton of Leys!! I would rather travel three miles instead of two for a pinta!!

Were you at the meeting in the Town House tonight in respect of the new Bypass? It will never happen not in the next 20 years anyway:nonono:

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

:wallbash:

Hmmmmph ........That will be a rat run, that new road passes by my house at Milton of Leys!! I would rather travel three miles instead of two for a pinta!!

Were you at the meeting in the Town House tonight in respect of the new Bypass? It will never happen not in the next 20 years anyway:nonono:

Unfortunately I'm in Glasgow at uni at the moment so the Highland Council have escaped my fury :D

Posted

Nice feeder band working its way westwards at the moment from Aberdeen to just south of Wick, some decent returns which I'd imagione away from the immediate coast is probably falling as snow, that band in its on right could be giving a few cms giving its very slow motion.

I'd say bullseye zone could well see a good 20-30cms over the next 48hrs so well worth watching to see where that ends up.