Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

liking that.biggrin.gif

If it could just nudge NW a bit....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I have only read the last page but has Kilmarnock recieved more snow than Kilmacolm today? :clap:

Driving back from Edinburgh it was dry until i hit the Fenwick moors near Kilmarnock, at about 5:30 it turned to complete darkness within 1 mile of driving from being sunny to very heavy snow. I thought the radio was exaggerating but it was really falling thick and fast covering the road and reducing visibility to a few metres. In the town itself we probably have about 1-2cm on colder surfaces and slush elsewhere. If it had been a degree or two colder we would probably of had a few inches :lol:

p.s Happy birthday CMD

Fenwick moors are always notorious for pockets of cold or heavy snow. Long time no speak :lol:

We were snowed in Xmas and New Year.......in fact it lay for over 28 days and some side roads were no go areas for a lot of that time. Funny.......Liz is my real name and my family are in southern England too, Gilly is a nickname

Hey there is hope yet for Catch to have snow on his birthday if it has reached Paisley......

Just out of interest... your surname doesn't happen to begin with B and end with H does it?

For once Bishopton is colder than the airport (-4.6C against -3C).

From what I can see in the gloom outside this morning's frost seems thicker than yesterday's frost and I thought yesterday that we had snow the frost was so thick!

Edit: The NMM is still keen on a burst of heavy precip over the west of Scotland today, radar not showing anything yet. (GFS takes the precip out over the Firth of Clyde)

2nd Edit: Fogged in again :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all. Another clear,cold morning here. Temp -3.9c dew point -4.2c and a westerly wind. Hoping for at least a snowflake or two within the next few days as I find this sort of weather quite boring!

Posted

Cold start today - -4 in my garden. White with frost as we only got rain & sleet last night. 11+mm of it! Imagine if that had all been snow...

Happy Birthday for yesterday, to all those who were celebrating!

Posted

There are no comments on the model thread this morning as yet. Things are pretty much the status quo I think. Don't know about the ECM as I haven't been following it. God, I need to get a life!

Posted

Fenwick moors are always notorious for pockets of cold or heavy snow. Long time no speak :)

Just out of interest... your surname doesn't happen to begin with B and end with H does it?

No it doesnt............but I did laugh.....when I read that sentence!:):):)

Temp 1C........ the snow showers are clearing and running to the north of us now.

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Good hard frost again here. Currently -4.3 C and clear; classic high pressure weather.

Wait a minute, is it not a low pressure over us?

Can't believe with all the fronts and troughs around it is so dry for many of us. Must be that fife snow shield growing - you guys want to turn down the power on that a bitbiggrin.gif

A well, potential for prep over the next few days looks not bad.

There are no comments on the model thread this morning as yet. Things are pretty much the status quo I think. Don't know about the ECM as I haven't been following it. God, I need to get a life!

I will do an update later, if someone reminds me of my duties, I might forget since I'm now a year older :D

Extremely foggy and frosty again today, that's the ninth air frost of February so far; some whole winters recently struggled to get to double figures (2006-2007 managed just 12 frosts, including 1 in March :D).

Posted

Skies clearing and temperature falling currently -1c with one inch frozen snow from yesterday and everything icing up, very slippy to walk on.

We are about five miles from the sea as the crow flies and I can see about another one mile inland everything including the trees are completely white.Snow shoers to the north across the Firth.

Posted

Morning. Currently -3.1°C (26.4°F) DP -3.4°C (Wet bulb: -3.2°C). Very frosty outside. I am hoping that the snow is saving itself for my birthday on Sunday, although i don't want too much, need the folks to get her with my pressies :unsure:

I was hoping we would get snow last night, stv weather was wrong.rolleyes.gif

Posted

I will do an update later, if someone reminds me of my duties, I might forget since I'm now a year older :cold:

Not Dementia already surely.........:clap::unsure:

Snow is too wet even 650feet up and will slowly melt .......the harder frost promised tomorrow is also ebbing now.

Edited by Gilly

The side of Port Glasgow closest to me has snow, so some places did get snow yesterday and overnight (not much though).

I hope you get snow for your birthday too :clap: All the best people have birthdays in February :unsure:

Posted

Morning. Currently -3.1°C (26.4°F) DP -3.4°C (Wet bulb: -3.2°C). Very frosty outside. I am hoping that the snow is saving itself for my birthday on Sunday, although i don't want too much, need the folks to get her with my pressies :unsure:

Every chance in the wee hours of Saturday morning and maybe on Sunday night too.......fingers crossed for you. Weather is very unpredictable at the moment and this has been emphasised on the MT more than once.

Posted

Wow - that was a hard frost in Stirling last night - everything is White !

Going to Edinburgh today with the kids, so I hope it stays dry..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Bright and frosty here this morning. The low of -5C was the lowest for me since the 8th of January.

Yesterdays max of 1.8C was the lowest for a fortnight.

Posted

Is it just me? or is the 6z off on one after T120. There just doesn't seem to be any continuity. Will wait on the Catch update if he has time. Certainly a cold one this morning here.-0.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Apologies TWS, gotta pull you up on this one:

The Atlantic varying in FI is a direct function of Heisenbergs uncertainty principle and nothing to do with power-factor which is simply the product between voltage and current in sinusoidal AC systems.

I just had to copy this from the model output thread.

Can some genius please tell me what this means as I haven't a scoobie.

SS2

Posted

Is it just me? or is the 6z off on one after T120. There just doesn't seem to be any continuity. Will wait on the Catch update if he has time. Certainly a cold one this morning here.-0.2c.

Looks like it Blitzen!z

The 850on the 6Z is showing a lot of scatter.

The Atlantic varying in FI is a direct function of Heisenbergs uncertainty principle and nothing to do with power-factor which is simply the product between voltage and current in sinusoidal AC systems.

SS2

Ignore that post. Someone was having a bit of fun and used a Greek symbol instead of saying FI and it was misunderstood.......:unsure:

post-2738-12664065451117_thumb.txt

Edited by Gilly

Posted

SS2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A408638

Just in case your bored, just saw your post Gilly

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A408638

Just in case your bored, just saw your post Gilly

Yes..........I read your link. Thanks for that, heavy stuff!

I was replying on the basis of the post below......smile

Post by Thundery Wintery Sshowers said "The original post was meant to be a joke using the Greek letter as a pun on FI- not meant seriously! "

A quick scout about the models shows a similar situation to yesterday. Staying cool/cold until around the 23rd/24th and then similarly to the 06z ensembles something milder may well follow:

post-2844-12664153909017_thumb.png

As Gilly pointed out earlier, lots of scatter so don't dust off the BBQ just yet, but equally, don't renew the hire on your sledge yet.