Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Bad form really.diablo.gif There are some Welsh speakers and non Welsh speakers on this thread who are really proud of their language and heritage and would like to have parity I think. Diolch yn fawr. Thank you very much

Posted

Thank You / Diolch

Looking OK for this weeks snow wise - Tomorrow we could see some hail / sleety showers with snow falling above 200m, later in the week looks good with snow showers on Friday. Currently 2C here after some heavy rain earlier. 10mm of rain / sleet has fallen today - Snow above 800m

Posted

Sleet/snowing here right now!!!!!!!!!!!

in fact it's snowing yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Morning mate, looks dark over the hills here maybe i will see snow too!

morning Jay - potential for snow certainly over the next few days!

Full on snow here - not sticking though as weirdly we had a rain shower before it - very strange

This set up reminds me of the snow we had earlier this winter - very localised - where the low was dragging in precip off the Bristol Channel and dumping it onto South Wales - big difference then though was it happened over night and it was quite a bit colder

Posted

morning Jay - potential for snow certainly over the next few days!

Full on snow here - not sticking though as weirdly we had a rain shower before it - very strange

This set up reminds me of the snow we had earlier this winter - very localised - where the low was dragging in precip off the Bristol Channel and dumping it onto South Wales - big difference then though was it happened over night and it was quite a bit colder

Yep. was about to say that lol.

Posted

Drizzle here in Nantgarw. I shall be watching the top of the mountain for it to turn white.

Lovely low hill-hugging clouds earlier. I could see the top of the hill above a long line of clouds.

Posted

Drizzle here in Nantgarw. I shall be watching the top of the mountain for it to turn white.

Lovely low hill-hugging clouds earlier. I could see the top of the hill above a long line of clouds.

the "snow" line then must be about 200m and above at the mo - that's snow falling - not accumulating - senghenydd hill was bathed in a white snow mist as it was assaulted with the snow

I think the top of Senghenydd hill is about 300m

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I'm on Treforest Industrial Estate, looking at Mynydd Meio which has a peak of 320m near the communications masts.

It's dry here now.

Posted

GFS 06z - once again the GFS is revising it's idea about how long the cold would like to stay in Wales - it was up to next monday yesterday - now it's up to tuesday next week - so - the cold -5 uppers are refusing to "leave the building" as Elvis might say! - + chances for snow along the way - once again - a little outside of the reliable time frame but looking "interesting" is a set up for sunday night into monday morning - low moves up from the south west (as per usual) this could dump a few inches of snow!

Later on in FI (fantasy island) part of the GFS - (where you can spot possible future trends only) - GFS has now shown for about the third time a set up which is being discussed quite a bit on the model thread - a low moves up and across britain - south west to northeast and finally drags the bitter cold (kicking and screaming) that's been sitting over the scandinavian contries for a while - right over us and then once again the fun can really start - I must warn you though - this is only a trend and something to look forward to for the last bit of February and then into March - winter still has some cards up her sleeve me thinks - a few aces would be nice!cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had rain here overnight, heavy at times. I think we are a fair bit too low down and near the coast for snow atm, maybe a bit later in the week? but i dont think we will see any more significant snow now till next winter here! good luck to those a bit higher up and further inland this week though smile.gif

Temp now 6.8C with hardly any wind and a few blue patches in the broken cloud.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Had rain here overnight, heavy at times. I think we are a fair bit too low down and near the coast for snow atm, maybe a bit later in the week? but i dont think we will see any more significant snow now till next winter here! good luck to those a bit higher up and further inland this week though smile.gif

Temp now 6.8C with hardly any wind and a few blue patches in the broken cloud.

Not sure you can say that just yet Deepsnow - winter will only relent after the 2nd week of march - then you might be able to say that easter is coming and spring is sprung

here's a quote from a poster on the model thread

"Again another run and another shift south and east. It could well be that what we are

looking at on the models for the end of the week could all be a good couple of hundred

miles further south and east.

This would mean colder still than what the models are currently showing.

The synoptics in deep FI are realistic imo but at a earlier time frame and it could very

well be a case of cold over the UK with snow where any precipitation falls to becoming

very cold (bitterly cold) with snow for many.

Again just to repeat what I said the other day

I think the end of February and at least

the first week of March to be the coldest and most wintry for many, many years (much

colder than 2005/6 and 1995/6)."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just thought i'd post this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/webcams/pages/snowdon.shtml

Doesn't look like Mount Snowdon has had much snow at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

We woke up to a light covering of snow this morning =)air_kiss.gif

But it's now 5C and a rapid thaw is taking place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Not sure you can say that just yet Deepsnow - winter will only relent after the 2nd week of march - then you might be able to say that easter is coming and spring is sprung

here's a quote from a poster on the model thread

"Again another run and another shift south and east. It could well be that what we are

looking at on the models for the end of the week could all be a good couple of hundred

miles further south and east.

This would mean colder still than what the models are currently showing.

The synoptics in deep FI are realistic imo but at a earlier time frame and it could very

well be a case of cold over the UK with snow where any precipitation falls to becoming

very cold (bitterly cold) with snow for many.

Again just to repeat what I said the other day

I think the end of February and at least

the first week of March to be the coldest and most wintry for many, many years (much

colder than 2005/6 and 1995/6)."

I hope so, hope i am wrong! It would be nice to get another decent snow cover but it always seems to be "next weekend and next week" and then nothing happenes (well not here) so thats why im just not that optamistic atm - sorry :S But like i said, hope i am wrong and prob am writing it off a bit to early.

Temp now a balmy 10.1C, atleast the sun is out to dry everything :D light WSW breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Got a few hail showers here this afternoon

Posted

Hi all back with the van and must say it was mild while we were away,didnt need heating on in night as it would have been to hot,and i see no snow again lol, the models were saying snow for the last weekend but now i see its another 7 days away. so whats is the latest guys? i was driving home and saw very small amount of sleet in with heavy rain and was expecting to see some snow on top of bwlch mountain, but nothing at all and that is one of the highest about in s Wales.we have had very local heavy hail but no snow. have we seen the last of the snow or are we going to have more in 7 days, mind you we have been going to have snow for about a month now according to models,but it moves every 2 days further away.

Posted

snowing again here - total white out on senghenydd mountain!

Hi all back with the van and must say it was mild while we were away,didnt need heating on in night as it would have been to hot,and i see no snow again lol, the models were saying snow for the last weekend but now i see its another 7 days away. so whats is the latest guys? i was driving home and saw very small amount of sleet in with heavy rain and was expecting to see some snow on top of bwlch mountain, but nothing at all and that is one of the highest about in s Wales.we have had very local heavy hail but no snow. have we seen the last of the snow or are we going to have more in 7 days, mind you we have been going to have snow for about a month now according to models,but it moves every 2 days further away.

Too wet for any snow to stick right now - but that will change with colder nights coming - uppers are now -5 and the prospects for the next couple of weeks are good too

Strike that - Senghenydd mountain now has a nice white covering from that last snow shower! - so around 300m at the mo something can settle even in the middle of the day with the sun! - what's possible at night eh!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

snowing again here - total white out on senghenydd mountain!

Too wet for any snow to stick right now - but that will change with colder nights coming - uppers are now -5 and the prospects for the next couple of weeks are good too

Strike that - Senghenydd mountain now has a nice white covering from that last snow shower! - so around 300m at the mo something can settle even in the middle of the day with the sun! - what's possible at night eh!

More data to add to the log.

I need more temperatures and dew points please.

The log will be printed at the end of winter.