Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

12Z GFS & 12Z NAE all show things a bit further North bringing the West Midlands a bit more into play again. Some could do very well from this however a quite marginal situation again but heavy perhaps very heavy ppn could do the trick. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Ugh, just seen the NAE. And so the westward shift begins!

Incredible, it really is. Just when I think, hey-ho we might get something decent, it decides to take a more westward trajectory.

I give up. :wallbash:

Posted

The Nae is only out to +24 atm. And why do the midlands not get a sub topic like snowmageddon lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Post pictures of the snow!

If we had some snow we would!

Posted

The accumulative totals on the 12 nae is all the way out to +48 but the other charts arent. Based on that though birmingham looks roughly to get the most precip

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

If we had some snow we would!

Yeah Nick, we want to see your dusting of slush! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well if the NAE 12Z is right, the PPN accumulation chart would suggest some 15-20cm here by the end of tomorrow. I doubt it will be that much if its right however some very heavy snow perhaps prolonged looks likely but im thinking more 10cm possible.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

The accumulative totals on the 12 nae is all the way out to +48 but the other charts arent. Based on that though birmingham looks roughly to get the most precip

Leicestershire and S Derbyshire still look more than OK. If I were you I'd bank this one! Not quite in the bullseye, but a lot closer to it than us.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/17/basis12/ukuk/rsum/10021912_1712.gif

Posted

I'm not sure its any further west its just the angle of the front is a little different to the 06z thats all.

Still the timing is better for those further east on the 12z run, things very marginal for the west Midlands during the afternoon but the 12z NAE takes long enough to eject the system ENE that any rain probably would turn to snow overnight...

The slower the better for the west Midlands, the E.Midlands should have that worry unless it takes sooo long that it doesn't really set in till the sun is already up.

Posted

The only danger on the NAE is the dewpoints, Alot more marginal as you go south and east, bringing maybe parts of the south east midlands into rain/sleet rather than snow. Not a trend that we want to see continue.

Posted

The only danger on the NAE is the dewpoints, Alot more marginal as you go south and east, bringing maybe parts of the south east midlands into rain/sleet rather than snow. Not a trend that we want to see continue.

Yes dewpoints have shot up for here on this output to ensure we get a rainfest tomorrow. :wallbash:

Meh, I still don't trust it anyway. Last night it was still farting about with today's front at 18z.

Posted

Sorry what's the timing on this event? My computer isn't playing ball.

If Birmingham's going to get the brunt I think I may take an executive lunch (go home :wallbash:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yeah Nick, we want to see your dusting of slush! :wallbash:

Sorry but it's all melted!

Posted

Sorry what's the timing on this event? My computer isn't playing ball.

If Birmingham's going to get the brunt I think I may take an executive lunch (go home :wallbash:)

Not till evening tommorow, NAE has it starting around 6pm albeit lightly for us, gfs has the heavy stuff here by then. It really gets going about midnight though based on the nae, depends which is correct. Just watch the bbc forecast after the 10pm news to get the best idea. The mettoffice must have better info and more likely to be accurate than we are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Just waiting for the NMM to come out and complete the set before I raid the cupboard for some prozac.

rofl.gifgood.gif

Posted

Not till evening tommorow, NAE has it starting around 6pm albeit lightly for us, gfs has the heavy stuff here by then. It really gets going about midnight though based on the nae, depends which is correct. Just watch the bbc forecast after the 10pm news to get the best idea. The mettoffice must have better info and more likely to be accurate than we are.

Thanks!

Here's hoping. Do NOT want a repeat of January trying to climb up hills at 6:45pm in heavy snow...

Posted

Interestingly the UKMO, whilst not high-res like the NAE and NMM, takes the main threat further south and east:

UW30-594.GIF?17-17

UW36-594.GIF?17-17

The plot thickens!

That would leave most with next to nothing in england as the precip would be bang over where the dewpoints are to high for it to fall as snow.