Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I am in the red zone, therefore if I don't get more than 5cm of snow you will have an angry message in your inbox :whistling:

I dare you. :p

Posted

Gate crashing your thread... Thanks for diagram Blizzards.... Im in the red area too!! lol However if it does move a bit SE wards that will suit me fine!! lol

Will scuttle off to EA thread lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

I am hoping us in Tamworth get something decent. Although it has been a great winter, we have not managed more than 4-5cms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nah, the diagram's fine. So long as Birmingham is right in the middle of the 'red zone', then that's all that matters. :p

Tbh i think heat from the city of B'ham will seriously affect your chances so the next map will have a big fat green zone over Birmingham but especially Great Barr. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I really do stress thats its a quick, rough diagram. Tbh when i look at it again i would bring the Red zone slightly SE Wards.

Tough....whats done is done....If there's not a foot of snow on the ground here by friday morning then the threatograms and visits from "Da Management' will begin :whistling:

:p

Posted

You should all be thankful ive done a map for you lot. You ungrateful ______ (<- You fill in the gap). :whistling:

Makes a change from reading text all the time.

Some nice heavy hail showers the past few days giving whats looks like snow in places, it has felt lovely and crisp when walking and you can see your breath in the late afternoon, very nice spell of weather with what could be more interesting stuff tomorrow into the weekend, not a poor outlook for snow fans in the midlands and wales thats for sure :whistling:

Posted

Yep that aswell azores. :whistling:

Timing could be an issue to begin with but the majority of this should come at a time suitable enough for us.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Like i did earlier for the 06z output, ive drawn another quick map regarding the risk from 12z output.

It should give the general idea, perhaps modifications are needed here and there. I would actually bring the Red Zone slightly SE Wards.

Red area- High risk of heavy prolonged snowfall.

Orange area- Low to Moderate risk of heavy snowfall. Uncertainty regarding the extent of the snowfall and in the South of the orange zone where the boundary of rain sleet and snow will be.

Green area- No real risk of snow.

post-6797-12664348619017_thumb.png

A fair assessment as things stand. However on the 18z it might be on the move again, who knows? Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm just trying to stress don't get your hopes up. Even if things look really rosy for your location right now they could very quickly change! Trust me, I know from experience.

Posted

A fair assessment as things stand. However on the 18z it might be on the move again, who knows? Wouldn't be the first time.

I'm just trying to stress don't get your hopes up. Even if things look really rosy for your location right now they could very quickly change! Trust me, I know from experience.

Last night is a perfect example of those sudden changes.

Later i will issue another map regarding 18z changes if they are significant enough. (Hopefully not for me of course :yahoo: )

Posted

Hmm... I think i'll have another pop at this map lark. Keep your eyes peeled (and start peeling them if the 18z pushes everything away...)

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think it's a very optimistic map Blizzards and I would put everything considerably further SE, but your location and areas around Birmingham should do well assuming it is snow !

I'm presuming you reckon the Beeb and Met Office are wrong then Ian? They both go pretty much exactly with Blizzards' map. Although I think north Staffs will be very lucky to get anything of note tomorrow.

Posted

I think it's a very optimistic map Blizzards and I would put everything considerably further SE, but your location and areas around Birmingham should do well assuming it is snow !

Yeah, i would move things SE wards, not loads but a bit.

Posted

A bit of sleet for an hour or two here in Solihull, then steady rain for the last hour. Not much to report really.

Now if I'd been able to get online on 17th December 2009, (Maddest and heaviest half hour blizzard I've EVER seen! A proper whiteout from a Cb).

25th December 2009 (White Christmas as snow fell at around 12:30am that Christmas morning!)

And more especially... 7th January 2010 when 4.5 inches of lying snow settled. (Not seen for a few years here in one single snowfall).

I'll put up all my snow record stats in good time from the start of the cold snap on 15th December 2009 to 15th January 2010, then more isolated snow days from 10th February 2010 to the present.

I'll include some pics as well. :yahoo:

Phil.

Posted

It is hard to believe what is being forecast for tomorrow after todays rain , but they really are going for it on the BBC / Metoffice and all the local forecasts and weather websites. I am in the highest risk area or so they make out .. Don't know what to think , i'm use to them talking about 2-5cm of Snow not 10-15 cm ...

Posted

A bit of sleet for an hour or two here in Solihull, then steady rain for the last hour. Not much to report really.

Now if I'd been able to get online on 17th December 2009, (Maddest and heaviest half hour blizzard I've EVER seen! A proper whiteout from a Cb).

Phil.

Just checked my phone and I've got some pictures of that event,At 1.30pm I watched as it rolled in from the Tamworth direction and just gave about 5 minutes or so of the heaviest snow I have ever seen aswell before rolling off towards you. I recall the wind just getting really strong and then everything turned white in about 10 seconds lol. Thats one event that will stick with me for a long timerolleyes.gif ps I was in Coleshill at the timesmile.gif

Posted

yes this ties in with Jay Wynne's forecast a few moments ago

and Ian's Fergusson

Well they are based on the NAE just spruced up so they would look good for the west.

Sorry if I sound snappy I'm just disappointed that it's looking so marginal again for here.

Posted

Well they are based on the NAE just spruced up so they would look good for the west.

Sorry if I sound snappy I'm just disappointed that it's looking so marginal again for here.

Very understandable after last nights changes too. I would be too if in the same position!

Posted

25th December 2009 (White Christmas as snow fell at around 12:30am that Christmas morning!)

And more especially... 7th January 2010 when 4.5 inches of lying snow settled. (Not seen for a few years here in one single snowfall).

I'll put up all my snow record stats in good time from the start of the cold snap on 15th December 2009 to 15th January 2010, then more isolated snow days from 10th February 2010 to the present.

I'll include some pics as well. :)

Phil.

Break your PC more often please Phil :yahoo:

Posted

maybe Im reading too much into Mr Wynne's forecast but to me the guy seemed sooooo confident of wide spread dispruptive snow event for tomorrow for us and the Midlander's.

Posted

maybe Im reading too much into Mr Wynne's forecast but to me the guy seemed sooooo confident of wide spread dispruptive snow event for tomorrow for us and the Midlander's.

Until I see it lying in my garden I am remaining very, very cautious! But the BBC forecasts are going into ramp mode big time tonight.

Posted

Right oh, here we are - a rather vague map.

PLEASE bear in mind this is not for snow, this is mearly total rainfall in the Midlands during the start of Thurday to 6am on Friday.

post-10818-12664389525317_thumb.png

Dispite the colours, only the red zone is anything substantial.

Edited by Hailsowen