Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I suppose so, just fascinates me that two locations so similar and so close together can differ so much. The consolation in cold weather though is it doesn't seem to generate a notable difference in snow cover, when you were away ski-ing and I came to take some pics for you, we'd received the same amount, ditto last February.

Wonder what the differences will be like in the summer.

Yes the main difference tends to be how long the snowcover lasts for the higher up and sometimes it can just be enough to get a temporary covering in super marginal events when it doesnt at say 200m.

Mind you I have seen it before when the golf course gets a slight covering and nothing else does just because it has a few more metres ect. Its quite interesting.

The summers tend to be cooler and duller up here with more rain which is a draw back wallbash.gif I notice the difference most when you go south of mendips down towards the levels!

Will they keep thread open for summer?

wow that front is close now i think i shall know whats falling very soon. temps rising alot too -1c

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Yes the main difference tends to be how long the snowcover lasts for the higher up and sometimes it can just be enough to get a temporary covering in super marginal events when it doesnt at say 200m.

Mind you I have seen it before when the golf course gets a slight covering and nothing else does just because it has a few more metres ect. Its quite interesting.

The summers tend to be cooler and duller up here with more rain which is a draw back wallbash.gif I notice the difference most when you go south of mendips down towards the levels!

Will they keep thread open for summer?

wow that front is close now i think i shall know whats falling very soon. temps rising alot too -1c

Rain here.

Posted

rain/sleet just started too fall, with the frost still around, im amazed its marginal!

The problem is the front is bringing in temps that whilst close, are just the wrong side of marginal for the SE, its quite a tight difference though, afterall some parts of Wales are getting good snows and its not that far away really, but thats what happens when you have a flow coming in from the SE, never does favour southern parts too well...

Posted

It is snowing outside although quite wet and settling.

Im of to bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the mother of all disappointments here this morning! Have had nothing overnight, barely any rain either, just a dampening on the roads. And this is after the temperature had gotten down to -3.1C - why no snow?! Losing faith in the rest of this week now.

On a lighter note, we should all say Happy Birthday to Ian Fergusson today!

Happy Birthday Ian. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Yep just plain old rain here last night in Weston.

2 misses in a row nownonono.gif

Posted

Was not as good as I expected this morning. cc_confused.gif

Some ice and slush on the ground and it was a nightmare driving out of the village but nothing much to speek of snow wise as it seems to have melted or turned into rain at some point. wallbash.gif

I find it hard to read the model thread of late with all those up north saying what a spectacular feb we have all had when in fact west country has just been a little colder than average with 0 days snow cover! wallbash.gif tats below average for me.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Just had rain last night.

Very annoying considering when i went to bed just before it came in.. It was very frosty and everything was frozen sold.

Then it just rained.

Ah well.

Maybe this is a sign now that winter is over and any " OMG its gonna be blizzards " over the next week or so REALLY need to be taken lightly.

Unless we get a very cold pool of air over us now . We have nothing.

Posted

What annoys me more than the absolute lack of snow down here in the south is the stupid 7 day forecasts for local areas on the front page. They have us down for an 83% snow risk an hour ago and equally high totals for the majority of the day. These never ever verify and just give false hope to those less able to grasp any understanding of current synoptics. I do realise that these are based on gfs runs and just gives credence to the fact that these model outputs are utterly useless.

Edit that last post. Its now a balmy 7 degrees sun is breaking through. Upgrade the term useless to preposterous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Ok, While im here lets have a look at the charts for monday..

NAE for monday morning... Rain.

10022206_2106.gif

NAE 850's show slightly under -0 . :)

10022206_2106.gif

Dewpoints are not great either.

10022206_2106.gif

Afternoon doesnt show anything better either.

Just rain for us at the moment ( unless we get an upgrade today.. )

Who knows.

But its not looking good at the moment.

Posted

Ok, While im here lets have a look at the charts for monday..

Just rain for us at the moment ( unless we get an upgrade today.. )

Actually we expect a downgrade - UKMO are revising the advisories right now and I suspect they'll be removed, with possible exception of parts of Midlands and northern districts of East Anglia. But the latest run paints this (and Wed, and Thurs events) as all rain for us.

Posted

Gah! No outdoor pe for us on Wednesday then. :shok:

Was it very icy this morning? I have just got used to sleeping in so I have only been out of my pit for 1/2 an hour, typically back to work tomorrow. rolleyes.gif

I am really hoping that Spring is on its way now. Though it will snow on March 2nd...remember you read it here first! :shok:

Posted

V.disappointed to wake up this morn and see no white. I thought we were going to se some action last night, but i did wake up at about 4 and here the rain against the window.

And after seeing Ian's post this morning my fears seem to be confirmed that this winter for us is basically over in terms of snow - i think i'll give up for now on the model thread as there appears to be a lot of hopecasting and straw clutching going on in there for us southerners.

Just stick with Ian's forecasts - much more realisitic, me thinks.smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Country Tracks is rain rain rain rain rain rain every darn day!

Positively balmy down here, almost double figures this week. Shame there won't be any sun. Did I mention it was going to rain?

Posted

Country Tracks is rain rain rain rain rain rain every darn day!

Positively balmy down here, almost double figures this week. Shame there won't be any sun. Did I mention it was going to rain?

Great! rolleyes.gif

Ski jacket can go back in the cupboard then...

Now where did I put my wellies??! whistling.gif

Posted

it all had to end some time I guess, bring on the summer rolleyes.gif

Yep. I think this could be curtains for the SW winter!...

Just hope we get some nice dry and mild weather in March now... Want to get some jobs done in the garden before the summer arrives!