Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

This is dancing daisy's daughter. This Is annoying me..we have had so many weather warnings this year already! And they have come to nothing (What a suprise) When it happens it will happen! yahoo.gif Bring On the Summer!

We all know how you feel.

Theres still a chance this weekend and next week.

I think it will just come out of the blue one day and you will be surprised.

Hopefully winter will go out with a bang.

Started snowing again here.

We have about 2Cm on the roads and card and grass at the mo

Posted

The distance from Yeovil to Bristol is only 36 miles, however the difference in temps is 6C.

This really shows how marginal things are IMO.

Also that this distance criticality is likely to continue for the next week, shifting northwards and southwards by 40-50 miles.

Posted

In Longford, near Gloucester- about 2cm on the grass- estate roads all white. Snow is falling fast at the moment-- i reckon Gloucester must be one of the worst hit places so far today- which is very unusual. My dad reports down new Wickwar (not sure how to spell it tbh- near Stroud) there is not much snow on the ground so very localised indeed!!

Posted

brightened up in bath now, light drizzle. Had a period earlier with heavy rain with some pretty big sleet flakes mixed in but other than that, nothing.

Been told that it's a winter wonderland up on lansdown though!

Posted

No im confused also.

Theres some beefy showers about, but i cant see where the rush hour problems will be.

Note focus has always been more on Glos throughout this event - Bristol and environs always marginal, as repeatedly stressed. Glos potential, however, continues exactly as forecast (we're aware of various problems there in some districts on roads) whereas Bristol and environs on cusp of worst hit area. All depends on the pivot and 'backwash' for further Bristol snow now. It's been a very very tricky forecast of extremely small margins of error geographically, offering very sizeable differences in outcome. Given the lead time of their advisory and warning over such a rather narrow band, I think the UKMO played a blinder on this one and the NAE performed pretty well over at least 6 successive runs.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

Note focus has always been more on Glos throughout this event - Bristol and environs always marginal, as repeatedly stressed. Glos potential, however, continues exactly as forecast (we're aware of various problems there in some districts on roads) whereas Bristol and environs on cusp of worst hit area. All depends on the pivot and 'backwash' for further Bristol snow now. It's been a very very tricky forecast of extremely small margins of error geographically, offering very sizeable differences in outcome. Given the lead time of their advisory and warning over such a rather narrow band, I think the UKMO played a blinder on this one and the NAE performed pretty well over at least 6 successive runs.

thanks ian , yes its been spot on .

Posted

brightened up in bath now, light drizzle. Had a period earlier with heavy rain with some pretty big sleet flakes mixed in but other than that, nothing.

Been told that it's a winter wonderland up on lansdown though!

Yep... It was earlier!...

The rain we had just after lunchtime made a dent in it though and I think the temps have risen slightly too, so it's starting to melt...

Still fairly white though!

Posted

Big big flakes in Gloucester now-- infact some of biggest I have seen. I would suggest about 3cm on bins/ grass etc-- less on roads but coming down fast! I am glad I am visiting Gloucester from Nottingham for the next few days!

Posted

Big big flakes in Gloucester now-- infact some of biggest I have seen. I would suggest about 3cm on bins/ grass etc-- less on roads but coming down fast! I am glad I am visiting Gloucester from Nottingham for the next few days!

They are some of the biggest i have seem also! Amazing size lol

Posted

Eagle-eyed amongst you in S Glos / North Bristol - where it's been snowing again for around the last 15 mins - might have noticed how this continual lighter snow is quite markedly different to the intensity-dependent 'big flake' stuff earlier. This is because the WBFL has now duly dropped pretty much to the deck as expected, allowing effectively any PPN rate to come all the way down as snow here, even at low levels. Quite a reasonable covering in these parts albeit readily slush-ified.....

Posted

We have had snow here most of the day (very light now but still going), yet no more than a couple of miles down the road they have had virtually nothing. Sounds like they have had loads down in the forest with roads being cut offshok.gif

Posted

Here in Cirencester it's been a heady mix of drizzle, moderate rain and sleety heavy rain.

I thought we would be in prime position for snow as it seems to be all around us!!

Any chance of snow tonight or has the main band gone through?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Some proper snow now, not the large, wet flakes of earlier, but the smaller, drier type abeit lighter and absolutely bitter in the wind. It's more like the snow from early last week where it was bitterly cold with light snow.

Any more PPN heading this way? Thick clouds hiding the hills higher up.

I've put the BBQ back away for another few days. nonono.gif

Posted

Eagle-eyed amongst you in S Glos / North Bristol - where it's been snowing again for around the last 15 mins - might have noticed how this continual lighter snow is quite markedly different to the intensity-dependent 'big flake' stuff earlier. This is because the WBFL has now duly dropped pretty much to the deck as expected, allowing effectively any PPN rate to come all the way down as snow here, even at low levels. Quite a reasonable covering in these parts albeit readily slush-ified.....

Yes Ian - very noticeable sudden drop in temperature of around 2 C around 3.30pm with a change in wind direction to more norherly. Light rain sudddenly became light snow and started settling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

flood warnings

Areas affected may include riverside locations between Broadclyst and Clyst St Mary, including Clyst St Lawrence, Broadclyst, Burrow, Clyst Honiton, Clyst Road, Topsham, the A3052 (former A30 Road) at Clyst Honiton and the B3181 at Broadclyst.shok.gif

Posted

Still snowing in Gloucester- the local radio reporting a lack of buses into the forest now and roads very slow! The flakes are much smaller now but still coming down!

Posted

Snow getting heavier now, but still the small, drier flakes. Looking good as we go into evening... considering its already 0.3C with a DP of -0.9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Although it has turned to proper snow well so i have been told, cannot see it pivoting around towards north somerset and mendip area which is just heart breaking. cray.gif

I had a phone call at mid day to say that we had had a temporary acumalation of around 1cm but it had all melted so looks like I missed it while at work. wallbash.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Don't worry M, least you still have Katy to look forward to...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hi Ian, any idea what is expected to happen with the front later? It seems to be all to our north and west now. Perhaps it will rotate back south or have we seen most of today's precipitation already?

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowing in Brislington Bristol yahoo.gif

Well it was for 5 mins lol

Edited by Valhalla

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Clouds have lifted slightly in the last hour allowing a view to the snowcovered Wraxall hills southwest of Bristol. Looks like some decent stuff over there and cars are coming from there with 3-4cm on them. Hmmm - so close!