Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I said last week that this week would see puddles and wet snow, not what most people want to see. The METO warnings are a disgraceful waste of time and money.

If there's a chance that something severe could happen it's good sense to warn the population. Much better than not putting a warning out and letting people go on their merry way into a possibly dangerous situation surely.

hi thanks for the update

You should be ok, whilst the temp has now dropped to 2.2c from 4c the snow is not settling even on the grass. I know that it could well change in the space of 2 hrs and if it does you won't be able to miss the post with lots of smileys.

Hope your meeting goes well

Posted

Welcome to soggy Solihull.

Was a few wet flakes now it's all rain/drizzle.

Darren Bett, you have a lot to answer for!!

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

As i previously thought, this wont be a settling snow event for me. Its too warm, too wet already and its not even started raining yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks nice in Worcestershire. Im going now. Any snow will be a bonus. Looks unlikely now until this evening at least.

Posted

I would echo Phil's comments earlier, here just outside of Sutton Coldfield we saw nothing in the way of sleet all day yesterday, just rain rain rain. It is the same today, just rain.

I would be cautious as to the track of the low, I think it could continue north for a little while yet. I am sure it will veer east after a time however I can see the north east tip of the main band veer a little NW if anything at present. I think if it does begin to veer east it may not happen until the band reaches the latitude of Linc rather than Northants or Leicester. Of course I am not expert but I think we in the midlands are only 2-3 hrs from the main event rather than 6-10hrs... and based on what we are getting here in Sutton at the moment that doesn't look great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Still going strong here - depth is about 2" now. You should all move here......

.....actually, come to think of it, don't! ;)

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

no snow in wolverhampton yetwhistling.gif

Posted

Just seen on Midlands today there is heavy snow in Worcester and everything is white already!

I'm amazed that places with higher elevation than here have been reporting rain/sleet when it's been snow more or less all the way here in Worcester.

Posted

I'm amazed that places with higher elevation than here have been reporting rain/sleet when it's been snow more or less all the way here in Worcester.

thats probably just down to intensity.

looks at though north of birmingham wont get much until after dark - when the fun and games startdrinks.gif

Posted

I agree - although it's been snow all the way here, it's amazing that it's settled in Worcester but not here. Never known that to happen with frontal snow, especially coming from south. I guess maybe due to the complicated way the cold/less cold sectors have been wrapped around the low pressure area given the existing circulation from the original low.....

Edit (just seen previous comment) - it's certainly been pretty intense here, just not quite cold enough to settle

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted

thats probably just down to intensity.

looks at though north of birmingham wont get much until after dark - when the fun and games startdrinks.gif

what do people think the northern limit will be??

Posted

Oh I dunno now. Was rain ratio 90:10

Now sleet, but in heavier bursts, big feathery flakes 90:10 ratio. Until it slows down then back to predominantly rain or wet sleet.

MAKE YOUR SODDING MIND UP YOU WEATHERFRONT, SNOW, SLEET, RAIN OR WHAT??

Regardless. No walking in a Winter wonderland. Ground is too wet and lapse rate too high for anything snowflakey to settle.

Still, here's hoping.

Phil.

Posted

Been snowing here for an hour in Wellingborough..beefy flakes now and beginning to settle...I love snow but not when it costs me money, no income day again!....

stopped in wellingborough now !! is this it now !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Is it just me, or is anyone else in here absolutley fed up with all the whinging & moaning going on in this thread.....Check the net-weather forecasters and listen to some of the more experienced and mature people who post....This afternoon is expected to bring precip in the form of rain/sleet apart from areas with the highest elevation and areas on the NW of the frontal zone, only this evening when colder air to the north mixes in with northen flanks of the front will heavy readily accumulating snows will happen! ;)

Posted

Is it just me, or is anyone else in here absolutley fed up with all the whinging & moaning going on in this thread.....Check the net-weather forecasters and listen to some of the more experienced and mature people who post....This afternoon is expected to bring precip in the form of rain/sleet apart from areas with the highest elevation and areas on the NW of the frontal zone, only this evening when colder air to the north mixes in with northen flanks of the front will heavy readily accumulating snows will happen! ;)

I was thinking that. Several NW team members have popped up on here throughout today, with I believe one talking about a hook feature (or something!) that will be bringing us the accumulations forecast.

I patiently wait ;)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Repeat performance of yesterday.... rain and just the occasional hint of sleet.

In fact, make that worse than yesterday, as there was more sleet and temperatures were lower than now = Temp +3ºC Dew point +1ºC

Is it just me, or is anyone else in here absolutley fed up with all the whinging & moaning going on in this thread.....Check the net-weather forecasters and listen to some of the more experienced and mature people who post....

.... and ignore the Met Office Warnings and BBC Weather graphics!! ;)

Edited by kar999

Posted

Moderate snowfall in Birmingham now, obviously not sticking though. My temp is 3C and DP 1C so this is a good omen.

I see it as it's taken three hours to hit us, has stopped moving, is due to change direction and this will take some time. I think it will still be with us once the temps start to drop and accumulations are still very possible.

Posted

Me? Whinge, AJ?? Never!

I don't contribute to the model outlook section. Regardless of whether rain or snow today. I'm more than satisfied with Winter 2009/2010 which began on 17th December 2009. Climax being 6th/7th January 2010 when 4.5 inches of level snow fell. In all, 29 days of lying snow (Ice too!) which I've not been able to record since 1981/82.

And also something that I did in early January that I've not been able to do for years was have a good snowball fight. (Yeah I know, nearly 40 but something about snow that brings the child out in you!)

Update : 14:11... Precip ceased and now becoming misty.

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

HEAVY SETTLING SNOW IN REDDITCH , dont worry those further north in staff its only turned hear the last half hour, and as the evening gets closer things will rapidly go down hill or uphill for us lot so to speak ,very heavy snow as i speak . the further north the better it gets cause it will then stall before goin east .