Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Nothing here in tamworth yet.

You and me both mate. The topography of our area is to blame (and sod's law of course)

Posted

The forecast is for the cold air to start wrapping itself around the north of the low later on and create plenty of snow so its way to early to start whinging yet but I notice that its the same people who always whinge on here rather than being mature and being appreciative that anyone in our area is getting any snow nonono.gifnonono.gif Its way to early to write it off yet and I think all will see snow fall at some point with the central across to the eastern regions in particular faring better than most. In fact I'll go as far as saying that the east mids should get a right pasting this evening and tonight. I dont think that the likes of myself and nick or anyone else for that matter in the Staffordshire area will see as much as those further east but it was never forecast to be that way anyway so we cant really complain.tease.gif Good luck to all who do see some snow and make sure you can get some pictures up so that the whingeing minority have even more reason to feel hard done by cray.gif lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Just hoping for some guidence pls from a more some1 more knoledgable than me . . . .

I think i can see the wrap around developing towards the south coast and it looks like chucking things on a more north-west tilt , and im guessing thats what the bbc show in there graphics as at 1800hrs it looks to pivot somewhat with bham in the middle , any thoughts il be greatfull,

thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Heavy sleet/snow mix here now. Heavy precip moving north should make it here within the next couple of hours or more and then later shift east-north-east.

Hi

do you think PPN will make the Stoke/Crewe area

C.S

Posted

The precipitation is certainly further north than the BBC suggested, I'm more inclined to go with the GFS on this one as it was very good last night. Whether this a good thing for the midlands I don't really know.

Posted

For those is the Sutton area bemused by the lack of precipitation, according to the radar you've been under a hole for a little while, you should see something wet falling by 1600hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

just started sleeting/snowing in Shrewsbury, first stuff coming from above we have had all day... so still coming north and west this front...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Back in Bewdley now and it's moderate sleet at 1.6°C. Slightly snowier in the heavier bursts, but no chance of anything settling, though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Here in S. Wales there's ~4 inches on the mountain a 20 minute walk away from me, piles of the stuff up there. But that's 400m or so, looks like 300-350m is the snowline for proper accumulations here so I think a most places in Midlands will struggle to see lying snow, air should turn colder later though so better chance for all then. But don't your hopes too high up.

Not sure why you would want to get you 'hopes' too high up.

I think you suggesting you should get your feet/car etc high up ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Light snow here now, pathetically small flakes though :lol:

Posted

Should be some light precip already around those regions currently. The risk of snowfall and accumulations are less likely than further south of your region.

Just to update on the conditions here: Snowfall becoming heavy now and within the next 2-3 hours, I think things could get quite interesting!

Hi weather09, what part of North Birmingham are you in?

Posted

Still moderate snow here. It's simply not heavy enough to settle. Although everything is getting colder and the roofs of cars are starting to look slushy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Should be some light precip already around those regions currently. The risk of snowfall and accumulations are less likely than further south of your region.

Just to update on the conditions here: Snowfall becoming heavy now and within the next 2-3 hours, I think things could get quite interesting!

Thanks for the reply

dry here but temps to high 3c DP 1c

C.S

Posted

Temperature is dropping at a fair rate of knots now, my little weather station has shown a 0.5c drop in the past half hour, showing 1.4c now.

Posted

Right well tracking this front should beocme much easier now, the LP is wrapping around convective stuff making it quite obvious on the radar where the LP is centered, now all we have to do is watch the track of the LP and that should give a good indication about how much more latitude this front will gain.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if this is about as far north as this system gets, wrap around should be developing soon as well which is a sign of this system becoming a mature system...

Finally, settling snow should become more widespread over the next 3hrs so hope to hear more reports soon!

Posted

Heavy snow here still looking like it could be potentially very good with the position of the precip and the area of low presure for this area, should stay in the precip for quite some band with potentially very heavy but smaller areas of precip as the low moves eastwards, somewhere will definately get 10cms

Posted

Here is a picture of the snow in leicestershire LE8 , and its still tipping it down

Wow, that's more than here in LE2. We've got about a centimeter on all surfaces.

Posted

Just seen a few flakes here in South Normanton, M1 J28, looks like Alfreton, Sutton, Mansfield area in a big hole in the ppn.

Temp 1.8C

DP 0.6C

920mB falling

Posted

Just seen a few flakes here in South Normanton, M1 J28, looks like Alfreton, Sutton, Mansfield area in a big hole in the ppn.

Temp 1.8C

DP 0.6C

920mB falling

Are you sure about that? :D