Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
<BR>Black road is a pretty nasty single track country road - glad you saw for your own eyes what I was getting all day today - sorry I live at the top of a mountain (admittedly not that high) but the snow today was amazing - I've not seen snow in the summer yet (not as bad as dowlais top then) usually out in the garden with the cows and sheep catching some rays or mowing the oversized football pitch I got out the back - keeps me fit anyway - you should have called in mate - I would have made you a cuppa!<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>

The snow line i would say varied in height, whilst travelling east to west in south wales earlier.

Around Pencoed for much of the morning was a heavy mixture of 60/40 mixture in favour of rain over snow.(guess thats rainy sleet then).

Slightly further east and later on the snow line appeared to be much lower, with a mainly snow/sleet mixture, and also the beginnings of the snow line could be seen only about 50-75ft higher, so i have no doubt that up where you are it must have been very heavy snow.

There is quite a bit of difference in height between ponty and pen y coed cae as it is.

Lucky Andy gets his snow once more lol.

I think some people are frustrated with the sleety mush they had.

I missed out today, as i was just inder the snow line.

I guess that will please a few people.

But hey win some lose some.

Posted

Nice to stir conversation do agree andy saturday night looks perfect for snow for wales hopefully a good covering will occur , with heavy persistant showers moving across wales.

Posted
<BR>Black road is a pretty nasty single track country road - glad you saw for your own eyes what I was getting all day today - sorry I live at the top of a mountain (admittedly not that high) but the snow today was amazing - I've not seen snow in the summer yet (not as bad as dowlais top then) usually out in the garden with the cows and sheep catching some rays or mowing the oversized football pitch I got out the back - keeps me fit anyway - you should have called in mate - I would have made you a cuppa!<BR>
<BR>

to be honest andy i missed the turn by the pub to go up the lane then went on further and sat nav took me another way then they had closed the road so went all way back to pub then up lane lol,by the time we got there and turned around we had to rush and pick up the mrs as we was going to be late for my boys training lol,when i was down by the pub i thought no way can it be as bad as you said but the further i went up that lane the worse it become and yes Andy did have the snow and it was still snowing while i was there,Andy i would have called in by didnt know what house but i did see a pajero covered in snow lol and didnt have time, i am going to take a ride up the bwlch now in the truck if its open,dont think it will be but i will get up there shall let you know what it finished like up there later.<BR><BR>

Posted

Yeah and the good thing is the set-up over the weekend could easily give some snow, so thats going to be one that needs to be watched IMO for this region, the snow line for Wales maybe a bit further north as the angle of attack from the system looks more W-E rather then today where it came up from the SSW..that may also help those areas near the Severn whoe today had a onshore flow at times which probably made it more marginal then areas inland.

Posted

Haha andy Im not denying your snow I just don't see where the mega blizzard comes from? Im am glad you had snow however and yes I know your on about saturday but Im talking about tomorrow no point looking ahead untill tomororw is doen and i do believe snow is a possibility for me tomorrow :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Haha andy Im not denying your snow I just don't see where the mega blizzard comes from? Im am glad you had snow however and yes I know your on about saturday but Im talking about tomorrow no point looking ahead untill tomororw is doen and i do believe snow is a possibility for me tomorrow smile.gif

Chwarae teg adam. Daeth eira trwm i Gaerdydd heddi, ond rhy wlyb i sticio. Llawer mwy tebygol o sticio lan yn y cymoedd.

Fair play adam. We had heavy(ish) snow in Cardiff today, but too wet to stick. More likely to hang around in the valleys.

Bring on the next round!

Posted

Just rain here at the moment, the snow was pretty heavy earlier (morning/afternoon) but didnt settle at all. sad.gif

Lol sorry Ourson for basically repeating your comment, we must have posted at the same time.

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

Chwarae teg adam. Daeth eira trwm i Gaerdydd heddi, ond rhy wlyb i sticio. Llawer mwy tebygol o sticio lan yn y cymoedd.

Fair play adam. We had heavy(ish) snow in Cardiff today, but too wet to stick. More likely to hang around in the valleys.

Bring on the next round!

Dwi ddim yn dweud llai, cawsom ni eira lan fan hyn hefyd a dwi'n byw yn y Mynyddoedd felly'n deall y tywydd fynyddig yn net, doeddwn i ddim yn ceisio dweud nad oedd wedi bwrw eira yn drwm ond bod e'n anhebygol bod yr eira wedi bod mor drwm ac arbennig fel y gwnaethpwyd allan i fod yn enwedig wrth ystyried y maint o eira a oedd wedi casglu wedyn. Ond pawb a'i farn a do welais i'r lluniau a'r clipiau ar y newyddion gynne' o'r eira yng Nghaerdydd braf o beth :D.

Im not saying different, we also had snow here and i live ina mountanious area therefore I understand elevation effects etc, i wasn't trying to say that it hadn't snowed heavy just that is was ilikely that the snow had been so heavy and special as made out especially when considering the accumilation depths. But everyone to their own opinions and yes I saw the pictures and clips on the news earlier of the snow in Cardiff, what a lovely event :).

Posted

Haha andy Im not denying your snow I just don't see where the mega blizzard comes from? Im am glad you had snow however and yes I know your on about saturday but Im talking about tomorrow no point looking ahead untill tomororw is doen and i do believe snow is a possibility for me tomorrow smile.gif

Blizzard conditions don't just mean the amount of snow piled up on the ground mind - in my opinion - It also means heavy blown snow falling as well - whether sticking or not surely - therefore the 7 hours of full on heavy blown snow we had today constitutes a blizzard in my book! - and it did lead to (looking at my garden chairs) a good 3 - 4 + inches of snow + very dodgy driving conditions

Posted

We had 5cm of snow here. Would've been more but the ground was so wet it didn't start accumulating till around 11am when the snow chilled the air and the temp dipped to 0.5c from 1.5c at 9am.

Not bad at all though, wasn't really expecting much...

BBC online is useless - heavy rain showers and sleet was forecast for my area and the radio said snow wasn't starting until Tonight rolleyes.gif.

Posted

Blizzard conditions don't just mean the amount of snow piled up on the ground mind - in my opinion - It also means heavy blown snow falling as well - whether sticking or not surely - therefore the 7 hours of full on heavy blown snow we had today constitutes a blizzard in my book! - and it did lead to (looking at my garden chairs) a good 3 - 4 + inches of snow + very dodgy driving conditions

The winds werent conducive to blizzard conditions, blizzard like but not blizzard, you can ramp and go ott for as long as you wish but It won't change nothing. im not doubting your heavy snow mate but sometimes excitement comes before reality.

Posted

We had 5cm of snow here. Would've been more but the ground was so wet it didn't start accumulating till around 11am when the snow chilled the air and the temp dipped to 0.5c from 1.5c at 9am.

Not bad at all though, wasn't really expecting much...

BBC online is useless - heavy rain showers and sleet was forecast for my area and the radio said snow wasn't starting until Tonight rolleyes.gif.

I think the beebs online updating service lags so far behind that it just isn't a reliable form of checking the weather - I know I don't use it at all - whichever web dept is updating it - they must be about 12 to 24 hours behind the forecast at least - making it a joke - they need to be on top of things - I just complained to the meto about their website - I don't know whether you've noticed, but in their text forecasts recently there have been a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes - so I pointed this out to them - they sent me an e-mail back thanking me for doing this and saying they would improve things in the future - then they went on about their new developments on the site - I was more concerned with them looking silly with so many using the site and their bad use of the english language on there - let's hope it improves

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Dwi ddim yn dweud llai, cawsom ni eira lan fan hyn hefyd a dwi'n byw yn y Mynyddoedd felly'n deall y tywydd fynyddig yn net, doeddwn i ddim yn ceisio dweud nad oedd wedi bwrw eira yn drwm ond bod e'n anhebygol bod yr eira wedi bod mor drwm ac arbennig fel y gwnaethpwyd allan i fod yn enwedig wrth ystyried y maint o eira a oedd wedi casglu wedyn. Ond pawb a'i farn a do welais i'r lluniau a'r clipiau ar y newyddion gynne' o'r eira yng Nghaerdydd braf o beth smile.gif.

Im not saying different, we also had snow here and i live ina mountanious area therefore I understand elevation effects etc, i wasn't trying to say that it hadn't snowed heavy just that is was ilikely that the snow had been so heavy and special as made out especially when considering the accumilation depths. But everyone to their own opinions and yes I saw the pictures and clips on the news earlier of the snow in Cardiff, what a lovely event smile.gif.

Bawb a'i farn wir! Tybed ai natur ffisegol yr eira sy'n effeithio ar faint sy'n ymgasglu? Yn sicr oedd yr eira yn Nghaerdydd a mannau cyfagos heddiw yn wlyb iawn, ac o bosibl yn "ddwysach" nag eira cyffredin. Felly er iddi fwrw am sbel yn y cymoedd ni fyddai cymaint wedi ymgasglu o'i herwydd.

Each to his own, no worries! I wonder if the physical nature of the snow effects how much accumilates? The snow that arrived here today was very wet and possibly "denser" than normal snow. So although it came down for a while in some parts of the valleys there would have been less accumilation.

I don't know. I'm just a beginner to be honest! Whilst here, I'm trying to get to grips with dew points cc_confused.gif Has anyone got an idiots guide to what that's all about??

Posted

The winds werent conducive to blizzard conditions, blizzard like but not blizzard, you can ramp and go ott for as long as you wish but It won't change nothing. im not doubting your heavy snow mate but sometimes excitement comes before reality.

Funny that Adam cause the snow was being blown diagonally with the wind on top of the mountain where I live!whistling.gif

Bawb a'i farn wir! Tybed ai natur ffisegol yr eira sy'n effeithio ar faint sy'n ymgasglu? Yn sicr oedd yr eira yn Nghaerdydd a mannau cyfagos heddiw yn wlyb iawn, ac o bosibl yn "ddwysach" nag eira cyffredin. Felly er iddi fwrw am sbel yn y cymoedd ni fyddai cymaint wedi ymgasglu o'i herwydd.

Each to his own, no worries! I wonder if the physical nature of the snow effects how much accumilates? The snow that arrived here today was very wet and possibly "denser" than normal snow. So although it came down for a while in some parts of the valleys there would have been less accumilation.

I don't know. I'm just a beginner to be honest! Whilst here, I'm trying to get to grips with dew points cc_confused.gif Has anyone got an idiots guide to what that's all about??

dewpoints have to be 0 or below for it to snow usually - If it had snowed like it snowed today over night last night with colder ground conditions like we had back in january - then today's snow would have piled up even more - I expect my finishing totals would have been more like 6 - 7 inches may be

Posted

Na rwyt ti'n iawn ourson mae'r eira'n ddwysach yn y tywydd sydd ohoni achos bod y lleithder yn uwch ond roedd yr eira fel y ddywedaist yn wlyb iawn.

No you are right our son the snow was dencer due to the weather conditions of it being a frontal event and the tempreatures fluxuating etc hence very wet snow.

Andy seriously Im not doubting your snow but sometimes there is a case for realism and exaggeration in the mean time Joia'r Eira :D

Posted

Sorry Adam - sometimes I'm like a dog with a bone - but as welshwizard found out today I am on the top of a mountain and this kind of weather can get worse than elsewhere here - and I was sitting here staring out the window into a whiteout for most of that 7 hour period with big chunky diagonal falling snow - I just have to describe it the way I saw it

Posted

Pretty good agreement that there will be another snow event for Wales looking at the models tonight, however some real uncertainties about the exacts of this set-up it has to be said. The GFS certainly would give you guys a decent event for Saturday morning, esp the further northern region of Wales, as the angle is more favourable for those further north compared with today from the looks of things.

However things are far from certain it has to be said!

Posted

Blizzard or no blizzard. That seems to be the question. It certainly snowed heavily where I was today but wasn't enough wind IMO to make it a blizzard. ( and not one snowflake stuck!). However I suspect that some people probably did have blizzard conditions. It is probably down to microclimates at differing altitudes etc. We had a mini tornado in work a couple of years back, it travelled down the steps to the yard, across the red-gra and disappeared - amazing! Wasn't on the news though!!

Posted

Funny that Adam cause the snow was being blown diagonally with the wind on top of the mountain where I live!whistling.gif

hehehehe what angle and how much does the snow have to fall to become a blizzard?

Need some of that technical jargon i slated the other day now.

What a terrible mistake that was.

Are talking any where between 45 degrees and horizontal?

How far do you have to be able to see??

Is there a special blizzard instrument that flashes when your in a blizzard? and can you see it flashing ? or is that just a fault with the instrument?

If Andy says he had a blizzard then he did indeed have a blizzard, an andymusic blizzard.

Most missed out today but not our hero mr music.

So tell us Andy how do you define your blizzards?

Posted

hehehehe what angle and how much does the snow have to fall to become a blizzard?

Need some of that technical jargon i slated the other day now.

What a terrible mistake that was.

Are talking any where between 45 degrees and horizontal?

How far do you have to be able to see??

Is there a special blizzard instrument that flashes when your in a blizzard? and can you see it flashing ? or is that just a fault with the instrument?

If Andy says he had a blizzard then he did indeed have a blizzard, an andymusic blizzard.

Most missed out today but not our hero mr music.

So tell us Andy how do you define your blizzards?

Very heavy rain blown on a 3 mile per hour wind that looks like snow :)

Posted

I do understand why some on here dispute my description of the weather I had today. I would probably feel the same about someone else's description of similar weather if I wasn't getting the same weather so close by - either with differing heights or for some other reason. I would be quite happy though to believe that person especially if I could see on radar or by other means that they could back it up - my evidence was a photo - radar - with a twisting front, the axis being over us for most of that 7 hours and another eye witness in welsh wizard

Saturday does indeed look very interesting. As for next week ECM potentially even more interesting with a succession of lows undercutting colder temps to the north. Difficult to tell if this means snow for Wales, but worth watching.