Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

ame='pascalsbongo' date='18 February 2010 - 19:53 ' timestamp='1266522838' post='1780239']

Very heavy rain blown on a 3 mile per hour wind that looks like snow tease.gif

I suppose were it to be dark , and if you had a faulty street lamp giving off stroboscopic effects, whilst wearing some 3d glasses, and living at an altitude so high that the oxygen content makes you feel so merry, then it may well look like a blizzard.

Then again , the area Andy is in, today most definately had the heavy snow fall, and a few localised gusts would have made it a knife edge blizzard situation to say the least.

We just have to trust in Andy

lol

In Andy we trust.

Posted

I really wouldn't worry to much andymusic, I've had many disputes on this forum, people just always think that they're right and nobody else is.

It's not a case of who's right or wrong i haven't disputed the snow here, there is a gang on here tha ramp and ramp and ruing this thread i t hink I will join tony and keep away for a few day's its a damn nuiscance having ramping all the time and people who change the weather to suite their preference, Nos da.

Posted

Funny that Adam cause the snow was being blown diagonally with the wind on top of the mountain where I live!whistling.gif

hehehehe what angle and how much does the snow have to fall to become a blizzard?

Need some of that technical jargon i slated the other day now.

What a terrible mistake that was.

Are talking any where between 45 degrees and horizontal?

How far do you have to be able to see??

Is there a special blizzard instrument that flashes when your in a blizzard? and can you see it flashing ? or is that just a fault with the instrument?

If Andy says he had a blizzard then he did indeed have a blizzard, an andymusic blizzard.

Most missed out today but not our hero mr music.

So tell us Andy how do you define your blizzards?

This has opened a right can of worms - may be I should get a wikipedia description of a blizzard - see what that says -

A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and heavy snow. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. Ground blizzards are a variation on the traditional blizzard, in that ground blizzards require high winds to stir up snow that has already fallen, rather than fresh snowfall. Regardless of the variety of blizzard, they can bring near-whiteout conditions, which restrict visibility to near zero. Blizzards have a negative impact on local economies and for days at a time can paralyze regions where snowfall is unusual or rare.

I'd say out of the above description I had three and a half out of five bits - which means I win, I think

1. Heavy snow for 7 hours

2. Whiteout conditions for most of the day

3. Can paralyze regions where snowfall is unusual or rare

4. I'll have half a point for winds as the snow was falling diagonally but the winds weren't severe

I really wouldn't worry to much andymusic, I've had many disputes on this forum, people just always think that they're right and nobody else is.

I understand that if it didn't happen to him, then it may be doesn't happen to anyone else - I can sympathise - but I got the 3 - 4 inches of snow outside nicely freezing over night now - so I suppose I shouldn't be bothered

Posted

Saturday does indeed look very interesting. As for next week ECM potentially even more interesting with a succession of lows undercutting colder temps to the north. Difficult to tell if this means snow for Wales, but worth watching.

What a fantastic winter we have had ,we had everything ,talking to my mate in sydney he missing gb weather hes sick of the sun, suppose im greedy but it would be great to finish with a blizzard,but im i asking to much?who knows. Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Ok so whats the problem with what Andy is saying, he has provided evidence of blizzard conditions, with weather a lot of the time you have to take peoples word and trust them. Could you imagine in the US for example if a storm chaser had to provide evidence when reporting a tornado on the ground. I know its nothing like that in this situation but hey.

P.S I'm not ganging up anyone just giving my opinion.

Posted

I understand that if it didn't happen to him, then it may be doesn't happen to anyone else - I can sympathise - but I got the 3 - 4 inches of snow outside nicely freezing over night now - so I suppose I shouldn't be bothered

Which at the end of the day - doesn't really matter one way or the other. We got snow, some got a little bit, some got a lot, and more to come so happy days guys. Too much testosterone on this forum right now. Think I might throw my rattle out of the pram as well. Da iawn Jackone for being the Kofi Annan of the evening.

E x

Posted

We all have to trust one another - and what is anyone gaining by telling fibs - they are only fooling themselves - I have some associates that shall we say I avoid as much as possible because they are unable to tell the truth - and I find hanging out with them impossible and tiring because I know virtually everything they say is a fib - so I make myself scarce when they are about - it just makes them look like a fool and irritates me!

Posted

Hi guys i have just come back from bwlch,well half hour ago and the roads are open(thought they may be closed) but there is slight snow on the top,council did well, but there is a hell of a lot of snow on the very top, i would guess about 5 inches all about but where the wind caught the snow there are drifts, looks very good up there and the drifts are at least a foot deep in parts,would drifts be classed due to blizzard conditions?

i myself didnt have one flake stick in my valley but decided to drive to andys address to confirm what he said about the snow and it was very bad there guys with heavy snow that was dry and it was being blown about at the top,im not saying as bad as on top of some mountains but he did have a very good day when most of us had sleet or wet snow,maybe andy does like to talk the snow event up but lets be honest if it wasnt for andy this thread would be boaring and he has had more snow than most of us this winter so i think he is the snow king of wales.

but what i want to know is did you move up there Andy just so you would have more snow than us lol. i tell you what mate if we did have a very bad snow event you would be up there for weeks.

Posted

Right, so back to weather. Anyone got any ideas about any possible snow risk next week?

snow will be here much sooner than that - friday night/saturday morning!

Posted

"Blizzards have a negative impact on local economies and for days at a time can paralyze regions where snowfall is unusual or rare"

The above is evidence that you did not have a blizzard.

The blizzard that you say had a positive impact as it made you extra happy, and snowfall is not unusual or rare in your area.

Therefore on a technicality i rule in favour of no blizzard.

However after a re trial ,it was found that this was an Andy music blizzard , which is not defined in wikipedia.

So the jury is still out.........

Posted

I do understand why some on here dispute my description of the weather I had today. I would probably feel the same about someone else's description of similar weather if I wasn't getting the same weather so close by - either with differing heights or for some other reason. I would be quite happy though to believe that person especially if I could see on radar or by other means that they could back it up - my evidence was a photo - radar - with a twisting front, the axis being over us for most of that 7 hours and another eye witness in welsh wizard

Andy, if anyone deserved a blizzard like day, it was you. I was amazed today at driving through the counties how rapidly things changed from no snow, to little bit snow and like you said, blizzard like conditions, so much so, that me and my son turned back for safety reasons. I had no snow here today but hey, stuff happens and hopefully will get some before winter is out. Keep me informed of the current snow events because you make me look forward to coming onto netweather and checking it all out in your usual, lovely enthusiastic way. Keep up the good work. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

any snow for carms/pembs border?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Good evening. Is there going to be any snow on the western side of Wales over the coming days? Monday looks interesting?

The MetOffice radar is looking good for tomorrow:

uk_radar_20100218_033.gif

Edited by soupsurfer7

Posted

Interesting fact: I teach the daughter of the man who decides whether to close (or not) the bwlch rd. Isn't that cool!

that is cool,tell his daughter next week in school that her dad done well today in keeping it open. but normaly when we have snow they close it, well the snow does that but he shuts it so his kids can play all on their own up there lol

Posted

Well tomorrow looks fairly dry for most of Wales with perhaps a little snow for the very West. However, Saturday morning looks for pretty good, especially for Mid Wales. Anyone else got any thoughts?

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

Hi guys i have just come back from bwlch,well half hour ago and the roads are open(thought they may be closed) but there is slight snow on the top,council did well, but there is a hell of a lot of snow on the very top, i would guess about 5 inches all about but where the wind caught the snow there are drifts, looks very good up there and the drifts are at least a foot deep in parts,would drifts be classed due to blizzard conditions?

i myself didnt have one flake stick in my valley but decided to drive to andys address to confirm what he said about the snow and it was very bad there guys with heavy snow that was dry and it was being blown about at the top,im not saying as bad as on top of some mountains but he did have a very good day when most of us had sleet or wet snow,maybe andy does like to talk the snow event up but lets be honest if it wasnt for andy this thread would be boaring and he has had more snow than most of us this winter so i think he is the snow king of wales.

but what i want to know is did you move up there Andy just so you would have more snow than us lol. i tell you what mate if we did have a very bad snow event you would be up there for weeks.

Thanks welshwizard for all your comments - I actually moved up here cause my girl is here and she comes from Ponty - I just happen to love the mountains as well - and during the January event we did get stuck up here - in fact, as some on here know my volvo car got stuck in a bowl on black rd and had to be pulled out by tractor - I love the weather as a hobby and living here now it's a very useful hobby to tell me when to rush out to tescos to get the larder full to the brim so that I don't have to worry about supplies!

Sounds like you've had a cracking snow day yourself up on the bwlch mountain

Posted

This is the netweather watch for those who haven't seen it. Looking good:

Overnight, where skies clear in the west, widespread ice is likely on untreated roads and pavements where rain, sleet and snow has fallen today.

During Friday, sleet and snow will clear Eastern England through morning, while further west, sleet and snow showers will develop in the cold northwesterly flow across N. Ireland, and down across Wales and SW England, accumulations of a few cm are possible at lower levels, several cm over Welsh mountains and SW Moors, leading to treacherous driving conditions in places.

Confidence: 80%

Posted

any snow for carms/pembs border?

snow for you friday night/saturday morning I think

Well tomorrow looks fairly dry for most of Wales with perhaps a little snow for the very East. However, Saturday morning looks for pretty good, especially for Mid Wales. Anyone else got any thoughts?

Yep - GFS is going for a front to pass over wales overnight friday into saturday - should be good

Saturday morning

rart_10022006_1812.gif?3052c98088534fc1e1adea26ff93714c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Can we please stop with the Blizzard debate...its rather boring now.

Ditto.

More Interesting weather ahead seems likely now,

30-505.GIF?18-12

Lifted Index looks good for convective showers (the lower the number the more likely to trigger convective showers)

Saturday-Risk.gif

Also a slight risk from Met Monkey

Edited by Marcus_surfer