Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

No showers here which were forecast and also much cloudier now than expected :unsure:

Odd i woke up to two centimeters this morning and heavy falling snow.

Posted

the track of the showers are not quite getting to swansea

Posted

Whats the chances of Mondays snow happening? I see the MO have a an early warning out!

pretty good - we'll have some rain sunday in the day then the temps will drop over night into monday - it will be marginal - but will improve the further into monday we go as the -5 upper air follows the front across - so overnight sunday into monday morning should deliver snow into Wales

Posted

Just had sleet here washed alot of the snow away shame as well but I knew it would become more marginal in the day wont expect snwo till this evening now unless we have beefier showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Blinking heck. Coming down heavy in Merthyr right at this moment yahoo.gif

Sticking to cars.

Fine stuff but lots of it

Skies a bit lighter now. Easying off. wallbash.gif

Edited by Blackjack

Posted

Blinking heck. Coming down heavy in Merthyr right at this moment yahoo.gif

Sticking to cars.

Fine stuff but lots of it

Skies a bit lighter now. Easying off. wallbash.gif

That must have been the showers that past to my north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

That must have been the showers that past to my north

Sun out now. mad.gif

A bit of premature excitement

Posted

We have had nothing here and only 2 miles from you strange.The gfs has heavy rain for monday 0% chance of snow so why the meto warning

Edited by wizzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Mixture of sun and cloud here, and temp now 6.8C but drops in any clouds. Went to pyle garden centre earlier today and the top of the hills around there where covered in snow! Would be nice to get some this weekend. some darker clouds to my north but looks like they will miss me :S

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Awful weather conditions here today - Snow down to sea level with around 8cm of snow now in my garden. Better now with some dark clouds around. Temperature @ 0.6C. If South Wales had this, the warnings would be flying in - Nothing here!

Posted

The showers are on a WNW wind so not much happening for the south but the north of wales is having lots of showers.

These are predicted to become a bit more widespread later as the wind turns.

Currently here: 5.5C.

WNW wind, calm.

Partly cloudy.

Exposed snow has melted but there's still lots left in the shaded areas.

Posted

We have had nothing here and only 2 miles from you strange.The gfs has heavy rain for monday 0% chance of snow so why the meto warning

What time did you wake up because it had all gone by about half ten? you should have had snwo because people in ammanford were facebooking snow and people from llandeilo :/.

Also because gfs isnt the only model and they are very sketchy atm and changing every five minutes.

Awful weather conditions here today - Snow down to sea level with around 8cm of snow now in my garden. Better now with some dark clouds around. Temperature @ 0.6C. If South Wales had this, the warnings would be flying in - Nothing here!

That's nonsense Wales is snubbed as much as the rest of the Uk outside of London when it comes to weather warnings. and i recall you had a warning last night for icy roads, the roads in carmarthenshire were lethal and we had a snow cover we had no warnings, so where you make such a bold statement from I don't now.

Posted

What time did you wake up because it had all gone by about half ten? you should have had snwo because people in ammanford were facebooking snow and people from llandeilo :/.

Also because gfs isnt the only model and they are very sketchy atm and changing every five minutes.

That's nonsense Wales is snubbed as much as the rest of the Uk outside of London when it comes to weather warnings. and i recall you had a warning last night for icy roads, the roads in carmarthenshire were lethal and we had a snow cover we had no warnings, so where you make such a bold statement from I don't now.

Yes Ice, but no snow - when we do have snow, forecasters always seems to say a wintry shower and that it - if the wintry showers happens down South, it's seems to be a big issue. That my opinion, I'll make a bold statement if I want. Here's some pictures to show that a warning should have been in force here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8523943.stm

27189_341973941423_587311423_4791472_2050537_n.jpg27189_341974066423_587311423_4791483_761302_n.jpg

Posted

First point, the snow showers are highly localised. Have a great location at home where I can see the snow showers pushing in over the hills. I can vouch that even a mile or two can make the difference between snow and no snow.

On the weather warning issue. There does seem to be a tendancy for severe snow warnings to be ignored for the west of Wales. It is assumed that because Pembs is surrounded by water on three sides, that snow never falls. I had an argument with the Met Office once about no snow warning for Pembs, when I knew full well four foot drifts and heavy snow was falling! A similar incident occured a few weekends ago, when a streamer delivered a fair few cms and yet there was little about it on the met website.

There is all this talk of local forecasting, but that tends to work for some areas better than others. We have to remember that for most of our media and weather forecasters are English or based in England. There is a lack of relatability to Wales, Scotland and NI apart from in the broadest terms.

Posted

We had plenty of snow here Yesterday and the National News were harping on about the Midlands. good.gif

Posted

The National BBC weather seems to have the overnight showers over Devon and Cornwall and into the south of England. I guess we'll have to see what Derek says in a few minutes time!

UPD: Just a few showers tomorrow says Derek! Seems like that band has pushed southwards?

Edited by marclt

Posted

Liam what your saying isnt fair its asif your blaming the people of southern Wales for this :/ the met is in London an anglo centric base that snubs most of Wales all the time if its any consolation we never get warnings here in Sir Gâr either but i've learned to go by my own accord, Lluniau neis , nice pictures :lol:

Posted

On the news/weather they tend to focus on the places where most disruption/large population effected, even though other places may be worse off.

The National BBC weather seems to have the overnight showers over Devon and Cornwall and into the south of England. I guess we'll have to see what Derek says in a few minutes time!

UPD: Just a few showers tomorrow says Derek! Seems like that band has pushed southwards?

Yeh it looks like it's heading Devon/Cornwall.

On the radar it shows snow Sunday morning for us however.

Edited by Jamie.ed

Posted

It will start as rain but turn to snow overnight as the cold air packs in behind the front

Liam what your saying isnt fair its asif your blaming the people of southern Wales for this :/ the met is in London an anglo centric base that snubs most of Wales all the time if its any consolation we never get warnings here in Sir Gâr either but i've learned to go by my own accord, Lluniau neis , nice pictures smile.gif

London and the south east will always be the focus - because that is where most people live in the UK!

It's unfair and it shouldn't be like that - but it's also about money too - they put a lot of money into the met via the government - so they answer to them

Edited by andymusic

Posted

It will start as rain but turn to snow overnight as the cold air packs in behind the front

London and the south east will always be the focus - because that is where most people live in the UK!

Still not right everybody pays taxes it should be fair, Wales is always snubbed, i personaly feel we should have a national Welsh, Scottish and English Met office with the main office handling specific data then sending it to the national weather offices of Wales Scotland and England and then they can look into it further with the local knowledge etc that they have.

Posted

Still not right everybody pays taxes it should be fair, Wales is always snubbed, i personaly feel we should have a national Welsh, Scottish and English Met office with the main office handling specific data then sending it to the national weather offices of Wales Scotland and England and then they can look into it further with the local knowledge etc that they have.

I think you're right Adam - a much more locally focused team would help to much improve the forecasts - something for the welsh assembly to sort out

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Snow still on for tomorrow morning mate?

It's looking doubtful for any snow tomorrow now as the front has moved further south but - we'll need to check the models later this afternoon to be doubly sure that is the case. Otherwise we got rain coming in the day sunday turning to heavy snow over night into monday

Posted

Yes hopefully it will be a parliament by then, would work much better :huh:, also i don't know i think we're still in for a chance of that snow tomorrow night maybe early hours of Sunday morning from the tail end baking round and catching southern Wales maybe an inch or two before the rain washes it away, personally I don't think Sunday during the day is going to be that clear cut could very well bring snow to Wales from the onset the boundary between cold and mild its shifting back and forth atm, but the fact that the front we were expecting yesterday is going straight down the English channel is evidence that the cold is becoming more entrenched yet again, and with this cooler temperatures will result in more favourable conditions for snow.