Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why Do People Say Norway Is Hotter Than Sweden/finland?

mooncow

Posted

You certainly are furthest away from Antartica :doh: :doh: Norway is south of The Artic

Actually technically she's got that wrong as well as south Norway is nearest the Antartic lol!

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Well you dont seem to know much about your own country do you. Apart from all the temperature nonsense, you came out with this howler

"I live in the South of Norway (furthest away from Antarctica). And around December 2009 it was so cold that cars stopped in the roads because the engines froze"

You certainly are furthest away from Antartica :doh: :doh: Norway is south of The Artic

No need to be so rude......despite being Norwegian, he/she at least writes better English than you do - what on earth are "Antartica" & "The Artic"? Well, I know what an "Artic" is, actually...it's a long lorry with a bend in the middle. The ArCtic, on the other hand, is a cold place in the far north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well you dont seem to know much about your own country do you. Apart from all the temperature nonsense, you came out with this howler

"I live in the South of Norway (furthest away from Antarctica). And around December 2009 it was so cold that cars stopped in the roads because the engines froze"

You certainly are furthest away from Antartica :cc_confused::) Norway is south of The Artic

If you're going to correct somebody you need to be correct yourself. It is the Arctic.

Posted

Western Norway is predominantly controlled by the Atlantic, its why Bergen is known as the "Wettest City in Europe", however my theory as to how Sweden/Finland could be warmer than Norway on occasions is down to a Foehn from the Central Norwegian Mountain Range which is topped by Galdhoppigen at 8000ft ASL.

As the Atlantic winds race in, they climb the mountains and meet the Inversion layer from a Arctic Airmass above, this in turn drives the winds back down the mountains and raises the temperatures on the Eastern side of the Scandinavian Landmass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looks like os beat you to it by about 40 minutes :D

Erm, ok?

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Really? In Egypt it was pretty much 55C+ plus for the whole time, nearer 60C in the Valley of the Kings, and from what I heard that was pretty common.

Similarly in Namibia, in the Namib.

With all due respect, I'm very certain that it would not have been '55+ plus for the whole time' you were in Egypt. In fact I doubt anywhere in the world has recorded a week of 55+, considering the highest ever recorded temperature is something like 57.8 (although I believe there are other contestants ever so slightly higher) in Al'Aziziyah, Libya, and the highest temperature ever in Egypt was recorded at Kharga with 50.3C. It seems more plausible it was in the low-mid 40's although possibly getting into the high 40's. As someone else said it was may have been that in direct sun exposure and possibly have been higher in terms of the 'heat index' although this is largely influenced by humidity which will have been very low in such desert conditions. I'm sorry if I sound rather blunt explaining this, but it does annoy me when people have wholly unrealistic views on temperatures they experienced on holiday somewhere.

The indoor temp during June-July (hottest months) are usually around 20-23. But now they were 30+

I posted this on a Norwegian discussion board as well. They said it had happened all over Hedmark (which is the state that I live in).

And stations to measure temperature are far from my house, so they said it could vary a lot due to distance. It could be hotter where I live, than where the stations are located.

Well, my own people say its possible so I'll rather stick to them than someone who lives in India and United Shops of McDonald that think they know more than me about Norway.

Bye!

Your ignorance, stubbornness and rudeness doesn't endear you to anyone I'm afraid and this comment "than someone who lives in India and United Shops of McDonald" was totally unnecessary. As stated above the highest temperature EVER recorded ANYWHERE in the world is something like 57.8C. Its literally impossible that you recorded a legitimate 55C reading. It may have said that on your thermometer (or even various ones at that) but that result is certainly corrupted by what could be a number of factors, although in this case its seems most probable that it was effected by direct or indirect sunlight. I would have no hesitation to bet my life that the recording is incorrect and ignoring the sound, friendly advice given by others that you are wrong, only makes you seem frankly ridiculous.

Maybe just for one second, stop and think about how a part of Norway managed to get to only 3 degrees lower than the world record, even though it is massively cooler than African and Middle Eastern deserts that fail to reach such dizzying heights, for example Egypt (a hot desert) has 'only' got to 50.3 as its highest on record, how is it possible Norway got to 5 degrees above that - its not. I know you will probably continue to ignore what has been said and I'm sorry if I've come across as rude, but my annoyance got the better of me and I needed to express how silly your claims are.

KK