Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

thanks for the reply........it is a truly wonderful site outside with the tree so heavily laden!! just want it to freeze now, so my little boy can see it and build a snowman in the morning. Just been outside and its so wet snow, going to make a great snowman!! just had a power flicker to!!

Because it's very marginal and borderline snow/rain, so the snow is already half melted when it reaches the ground. Not nice snow at all. But it is still nice to look at.

Posted

Its down to -0.4C here in moderate to heavy snow and the layer of slush at the bottom is beginning to freeze now. That'll make for a fun journey to work in the morning. They'll wonder what all the fuss is about in Bedford. Having said that the temperature might rise a tad when this snow stops as the skies won't be clearing.

Doesn't really seem to have been a marginal event in this part of Northamptonshire to be fair. Since I got home its been 100% snow which has all settled, even in the ligher interludes. And I'm only about 85m up.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Its down to -0.4C here in moderate to heavy snow and the layer of slush at the bottom is beginning to freeze now. That'll make for a fun journey to work in the morning. They'll wonder what all the fuss is about in Bedford. Having said that the temperature might rise a tad when this snow stops as the skies won't be clearing.

Snow on the verge of and around the M1 at Bedford Junction. :nonono:

Posted

Snow on the verge of and around the M1 at Bedford Junction. :nonono:

They need some snow there, If this keeps up i'll be rather late for work. Heaviest snow all day now, really getting thick. More snow than we got here at any one sitting in January. 3-4 inches on the grass, about 2.5 inches on the roads/pavements. Visibility is really poor as well.

Posted

Just woken up and I'm surprised to see it's snowing moderately. There's probably been some showery outbreaks overnight and we've accumulated around 2/3cm so it's nothing major, just nice to see everything covered in white again.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Suprised to see there has been an overnight thaw.

It was still snizzling at 11:30 last night and we had got 2-3cms lying. This morning (just as dawn is breaking) plenty still lying and on the branches but the paths and driveway has all but melted. The sky is partially cloudy so guess we didnt have the hard frost they forecast. Sunlight will soon shift it all.

Cosford weather station now -1C but it looks like it was above freezing for most of the night.

post-1596-12665648623617_thumb.png

Hopefully my comute to the Black Country wont take 3 hours..... at least mums wont be taking little Johnny 1/2 mile to schools as its half term. That should see 100,000 less cars on the road!! :lol:

Edited by kar999

Posted

Good to see here that the snow hasn't thawed except for the roads, which is good as motorbikes and snow don't mix!

For the weekend and especially next week, the gfs and ecm are still showing 'snowmageddon' with some scarey looking snow estimates (1'-2'plus!!) and temperatures over the snowfields down to -10'c !! :lol: :80:

I don't know if I'm pleased or not? this winter's been good but my work is suffering for lack of custom now (garden centre/nursery) and I'm already on 6 hours a day so, a repete of 1947 isn't a prospect I'm really looking forward to lol! :D

Posted

Well I never really got anything out of this amazingly! If only that system had occured at the height of January cold.

About a 0.5 cm cover at 10pm last night, then awoke to find holes punched in it!

Oh well maybe next time!

uksnowdepth.png

The Midlands disappeared for 40 days and 40 nights under 40cm of snow.

Good lord!

Posted

Good to see here that the snow hasn't thawed except for the roads, which is good as motorbikes and snow don't mix!

For the weekend and especially next week, the gfs and ecm are still showing 'snowmageddon' with some scarey looking snow estimates (1'-2'plus!!) and temperatures over the snowfields down to -10'c !! :cold::shok:

I don't know if I'm pleased or not? this winter's been good but my work is suffering for lack of custom now (garden centre/nursery) and I'm already on 6 hours a day so, a repete of 1947 isn't a prospect I'm really looking forward to lol! :D

I think anything next week will have a similar feel to yesterday, Next time we need the snow to fall at night as alot of precip fell here yet we only have an inch on the ground.

Posted

Lots of talk in the Model thread about a big snow event next week, with TEITS favouring the midlands currently.

Let's hope it doesn't disappear like the beast from the east did so many times this February.

Posted

I think anything next week will have a similar feel to yesterday, Next time we need the snow to fall at night as alot of precip fell here yet we only have an inch on the ground.

I agree, but next week is looking colder and slightly less marginal sohopefully well get some of the snow fronts passing through during the night, and daytime maxes are progged to be about 0'c - 2'c so snow melt should be minimal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

still got snow, 1-2 inches, but expecting a thaw, seems to have thawed a bit off trees

post-6661-12665673584117_thumb.jpg

post-6661-12665674195517_thumb.jpg

post-6661-12665674898017_thumb.jpg

post-6661-12665675490417_thumb.jpg

post-6661-12665677801517_thumb.jpg

post-6661-12665688882717_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

still got snow, 1-2 inches, but expecting a thaw, seems to have thawed a bit off trees

abou the same here Mark....moderate thaw though now....snow on roads has melted, still on generous covering on everything else

Posted

When we're talking epic snowfall next week, how much are we actually predicting?

Just fell over walking down the hill. Thanks Mr Snow Plough for making it worse. Still got 5 inches though starting to thaw now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

And so begins the rapid thaw. But it looks absolutely wonderful out there, the little robin is going back and forth between the feeder and the snow covered Hawthorn, perfect Christmas card scene! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

started to snow yesterday evening mixed with rain about 5pm, and then finally turned to all snow about 10pm. Went to bed at 11.30pm to still see it snowing really good. Dreampt about snow all night. Kept dreaming i was going to the window to look outsite and it was all brown and green, and then would wake up still in bed with hope like a small child that it would be like

367367000_54d97b0f5a.jpg?v=0

when reality came at 7.30 am and i jumped out of bed and RAN to the window full of hopes and dreams to only open the curtains to find

spring-creek-prairie.jpg

cray.gif

dare I hope for next week's Bedlam Blizzard?? Can it really get any worse for us in Notts??? lol!!! oh deary me...... At least it wasnt slippy out while walking my dog this morning! laugh.gif

Posted

Advisories have been updated and keep the entire Midlands region in the advisory zone for Monday:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Back garden at 9am this morning:

post-7600-12665751791117_thumb.jpg

Posted

Weather station is recording 5.8c, but it's in the sun with a Stephenson screen - it has to be in the sun or else the solar panel won't charge the batteries up, it's a lose-lose situation.