Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Can't believe how unlucky I have been then. Just bursts of heavy graupel, presuming you had proper snowflakes?

yeah like feathers 2 showers lasting around 25 minutes, still surprised at the amount of snow I have, much more than this time on 31st Jan, todays snow also on roofs and covered bits of grass

wind turned more west now, most showers seem to my north

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

only snowed for 10 mins ?

Well the more intense stuff went to your north east, the radar made it look as if you had snow for half an hour but quite possible that only 10 mins of that was very noticable.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted

We've been unlucky on this side of Birmingham today. Wind just a little too westerly which means that showers have to survive the Welsh mountains to get here. And as we know...that simply does not happen. A lot of cloud drifting in which i assume is just left over clag from the showers.

This little patch of the West Midlands really hasn't done so well since the snow on the morning on the 1st February. And all we needed was a little shift here or there to make it work. (Like it did on the 5th January...so it has happened this winter and therefore eliminates my right to winge!)

I'm not expecting anything great this weekend and next week seems a little too uncertain to make a judgement right now. What is good is that the potential is always there for some point in the near future.

Posted

Well the more intense stuff went to your north east, the radar made it look as if you had snow for half an hour but quite possible that only 10 mins of that was very noticable.

Yes it was really noticeable, especially if it settles on top of snow already here!!!....looks like it isnt going to subside at all over the weekend!!

Can't wait for lovely warm spring days.......!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well the snow stuck here yesterday evening. Was heavy but the flakes were very small for the majority so was dissapointing.

A little disappointed actually to come home from London through brilliant snowfall across the midlands and find next to nothing at this end of Stourbridge.

Anyone know what happened to ensure that this little quarter of Stourbridge recieved very little?

Hi, here near Merry Hill we had a good few cm's of snow yet when i was in Stourbridge near the town centre it was basically just slush. Was very surprised.

Posted

Sunday looks like the next good snow day according to Daniel Corbin on BBC weather.

BBC Look East said mainly rain turning to snow later in the week.

Edited by xanadu

Posted

The 12z barring the UKMO and the GFS ensembles are very good for the Midlands, with a deep LP coming up and cutting E/ENE across southern England and obviously any front that is thrown up by this system is going to hit cold that whilst marginal should be cold enough, esp in the overnight hours.

So its a battle royal between the models, very much all or nothing, if you do get the ECM/12z GFS evolution then the W.Midlands would be prime spot in this region, the East would gt good falls but always a risk of it turning to rain here, esp in the southern part of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The 12z barring the UKMO and the GFS ensembles are very good for the Midlands, with a deep LP coming up and cutting E/ENE across southern England and obviously any front that is thrown up by this system is going to hit cold that whilst marginal should be cold enough, esp in the overnight hours.

So its a battle royal between the models, very much all or nothing, if you do get the ECM/12z GFS evolution then the W.Midlands would be prime spot in this region, the East would gt good falls but always a risk of it turning to rain here, esp in the southern part of the region.

Been away over the last day so i take ot your on about Monday?

Posted

Been away over the last day so i take ot your on about Monday?

still need mondays low further south, gefs control is horrid, the low is way too far north

Posted

Not a flake here today- been sunny while I could see CBs on the horizon in pretty much every direction. Hills in every direction are white, it's just 10-15 mile radius of Shrewsbury with nothing for about the 40th time in the last 3 years :wallbash:

Posted

We also need these systems to arrive at night, because settling snow will be marginal regardless of how things pan out next week. So far here weve had alot of snow fall but only 10-20% has settled. We have about an inch atm but im thinking about what it could have been if temps were below 0.

Posted

temp dropping 0.3C now, should still have remaining snow in morning, high of 5.0C today amazed any snow survived

Posted

Sounds like we were lucky here as over in Stourbridge the settling snow was rubbish tbh yet just 1 or 2 Miles NE here it was all white. Still some snow around too. Clent was looking nice and white from our road today too. :wallbash:

Posted

The Cheshire Gap gates seem to have opened but how far the streamer will reach is unsure but they should definately be of snow. Judging by the forecast for the wind, it will not last too long.

Posted

Sounds like we were lucky here as over in Stourbridge the settling snow was rubbish tbh yet just 1 or 2 Miles NE here it was all white. Still some snow around too. Clent was looking nice and white from our road today too. smile.gif

Here it's a similar height to Clent and finished up with 5 inches of snow by the end of yesterday. Not much melted today on the grass or in the woods - this eve @5.30pm still an average of ~4 inches on the grass on the highest parts of Beacon Hill, with drifts close to a foot in places (honestly not exaggerating) and trees with all their snow intact in the woods. This was despite several hours of strong sunshine, and no top-up of falling snow.

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted

Here it's a similar height to Clent and finished up with 5 inches of snow by the end of yesterday. Not much melted today on the grass or in the woods - this eve @5.30pm still an average of ~4 inches on the grass on the highest parts of Beacon Hill, with drifts close to a foot in places (honestly not exaggerating) and trees with all their snow intact in the woods. This was despite several hours of strong sunshine, and no top-up of falling snow.

Indeed, the hills have really kept the snow well today. A lot has melted today here but a good bit almost everywhere and a lot better than in other places around here which have not done well at all imo. When i compare our location to surrounding areas, particularly to the West we have done very well.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Looking at the Bablake webcam in Coventry just now, I was surprised to see a snow cover has survived, even on the roofs, thought it would all have gone by now, shows the cold air that we are in!

Posted

Yes, this very western strip of Stourbridge can miss out on lying snow sometimes. It happened in mid February last year. It also happened on the 23rd December when there were several cam in Brierley Hill and hardly a dusting here. It happened last month too on the 11th January..half a cm to 1 cm at best in Wordsley out of that one while where i work in Rowley Regis there were 4 inches!

I know we're a little lower down then surrounding areas but we're still 90m. There must be something here that keeps the ground warm!

As for the now...i've noticed the showers are coming in off the Irish Sea at a slightly different point and that might put us in line. However, if my knowledge of North Wales is correct they still have mountains to clear...although not the highest ones. Also i don't know how long the wind will be in favour for them.

Posted

Yes, this very western strip of Stourbridge can miss out on lying snow sometimes. It happened in mid February last year. It also happened on the 23rd December when there were several cam in Brierley Hill and hardly a dusting here. It happened last month too on the 11th January..half a cm to 1 cm at best in Wordsley out of that one while where i work in Rowley Regis there were 4 inches!

I know we're a little lower down then surrounding areas but we're still 90m. There must be something here that keeps the ground warm!

As for the now...i've noticed the showers are coming in off the Irish Sea at a slightly different point and that might put us in line. However, if my knowledge of North Wales is correct they still have mountains to clear...although not the highest ones. Also i don't know how long the wind will be in favour for them.

they are miles away. if they hit here, they will have lost most of their intensity, having to go over the marches. also, the time of day isnt going to help, basically everything is working against it :)

Posted

The roads aside, most of our snow seems to have remained intact from last night (theres still 2-3 inches on the grass). There was no snow at all this morning when I got to the outskirts of Bedford into work, infact there was much less lying snow once you got 4-5 miles down the A6 from Rushden and into the Ouse Valley.

Had a couple of snow showers tonight, the last one about 7pm was quite heavy and settled on the pre-existing stuff and temporarily on the roads. I was a bit surprised they'd lasted the distance through the Cheshire Gap.

Posted

they are miles away. if they hit here, they will have lost most of their intensity, having to go over the marches. also, the time of day isnt going to help, basically everything is working against it :)

Well 1st February saw heavy snow showers work in overnight to the West Midlands very nicely. Tbh i doubt here will get much or anything at all but just a risk for the time being.

Posted

A lot of things work against us when we're looking for snow..doesn't stop us looking though!

I know you're right...nothing to get excited about. But i thought it was worth pointing out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some light snow here atm, cheshire gap streamer in effect.......btw, apparently there was a major murder/mystery cliffhanger finally solved on BBC tonight, so can anyone put me out of my misery and please tell me......Who Shot JR??" :blink: :D