Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Total Snowfall 2010

Posted

Here you go from the 1st January how much total snowfall you had. I don't record but I'd say about a foot here.

'here' being where, please?

Posted

This winter I've probably had 6-7 inches I'd imagine, however there are places near Reading that have probably had an awful lot of snow, given they did well in December cold spell and also the Jan snow event as well, those places must be pushing 16-20 inches I'd imagine. Further north and wouldn't surprise me if places in Scotland have had way more then even that

Posted

Cambridge hasn't done as well as places further inland from me (Hertfordshire, Bucks for example) I had 6 inches between 17th/18th December, that was the only good fall of snow this winter, it layed on the ground until Christmas day In the January spell I had about 2-3 inches, and again this layed on the ground for about a week, since then nothing noteable has fallen, February 2009 was much better IMBY, when over the space of 2 weeks I had about 18 inches of cumulative snowfall, which most of melted the next day after falling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I had 2inch on the 17th december then after that about 3 dustings of snow lol bad isnt it.

Posted

Had 8 inches of snow, and a 3 foot drift here in the last cold snap: Not bad for us near the coast, and being the dryest part of the country its very good indeed

Posted

Here in Snowless Salop the greatest depth this winter has been a paltry 6cm, with the greatest fall from any event only 4cm, on 13-14 Jan. Cumulatively I make it only about 15cm/6"; 3cm on 6th Jan, 2cm early on 11th (without which we would have had a break in the 10-day >50% snowcover, was down to about 65-70% cover late on the 10th), 4cm on 13th-14th- that's 9cm total for the main Jan spell. Add 1cm on each of 24th Dec, 30 and 31 Jan and 1 Feb gives 13cm; the dustings on 2/3/5 Jan about another 2cm between them.

The cumulative total in 1995/6 by comparison was about 35cm, with a max depth 15cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Here you go from the 1st January how much total snowfall you had. I don't record but I'd say about a foot here.

I live in Tyneside.

For the whole winter I'd say more than a foot - 2 inches in December, 11 inches in early January, 3 inches late January. So 16 inches in total, but that's approximate as some melted on the 2nd January and got topped up on the 3rd so its hard to say the exact figure.

And its snowing moderately now so I might edit this post later.

Posted

Had 8 inches of snow, and a 3 foot drift here in the last cold snap: Not bad for us near the coast, and being the dryest part of the country its very good indeed

not much use to any of us as you have not put your location in your avatar?

Updated the post John.

thanks for that

Posted

A total of 22cm for here-most of that=16cm on 5 January-not much by what some have had in lowland UK but its fairly impressive for this area-22 days with snow falling, and 24 days more than 1/2 cover at 9am-so far from 1Dec-so overall much snowier than for many winters.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

about 10 inches overall out of a 4 week period of ice days... shows how much we couldve got if more snow hadve come through..rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Since Jan' 1st I've recorded a total of 46.6cm ( just over 18" )and the total for the winter so far is 63.5cm

(25"). To put that into some sort of perspective the cumulative snowfall in the snowiest winters since 1977 is;

1979 142.9cm (56")

1986 96.2cm ( 38" )

1994 92.6cm ( 36.5")

1984 88.4cm ( 35" )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Let's see - 2inches + 1 inch + 5 inches + 5inches + 2inches + 2 inches + 2 inches + quite a few dusting probably adding up to maybe 2-3 inches = 22 inches or just under 2 feet cumulatively with the highest depth at any point being 10 inches on the 9th January. Not too shabby really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Winter 2009/10 Norwich: 17th/18th Dec, 3 inches. 19th-21st Dec, 1 inch. 3rd-9th January, 5 inches. 29th/30th January, 1.5 inches. 10/11 February, 1.5 inches. About 1 inch total from all of the other events of the season.

Total- 13 inches.

Cleadon (Tyne and Wear): 17th/18th Dec, 2 inches. 19th Dec, 1 inch. 1st January, 5 inches. 3 January, 1 inch. 5th-9th January, 5 inches total (which accumulated on top of an existing 4-5 inch cover at that stage). 29th/30th January, 6 inches. 19th/20th February, 1 inch. About 1 inch cumulatively from the other events of the winter.

Total- 22 inches.

The Cleadon stats are particularly remarkable- I doubt that any other winter since before 1993 has cumulatively produced more than 10 inches there, let alone 22.

Since 1st January, the respective cumulative figures are: Norwich 9 inches, Cleadon 19 inches.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Not a lot around 23cm for some reason I didn't put the depth down for December. We've only had 3cm of lying snow this month for a day.

Posted

add another 7cm to my total please?

total now=29cm

days with snow=23

days snow lying=26

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I should really quote Cleadon & Norwich's snow depths in cm.

Since 1st January:

Cleadon: 12 + 3 + 14 + 16 + 2 + 3 = 50 cm

Norwich: 12 + 5 + 3 + 2 = 22 cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The accumulated snowfall here this winter now stands at 73.6cm making it the 6th snowiest winter by this measure in the last 33 years. It will take a little over 11cm to catch 1991 and 15cm to reach 1984.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

32cm of accumulated snow here this January and February (December only had 1cm).

This made up from fresh falls of:

4cm on Jan 1st- Jan 2nd

4cm on Jan 5th

6cm on Jan 6th

8cm on Jan 13th

1cm on Jan 30th

4cm on Jan 31st

3cm on Feb 19th

1cm on Feb 20th

1cm on Feb 21st

Maximum depth of 16cm on Jan 13th is not unusual.

Snow lying (> half of the surface at 0900) this Winter to date: 22 days (Dec 2; Jan 16; Feb so far 4).

Snow or sleet observed falling: 32 days (8; 15; 9).

Snow has been visible whether lying here, shade remnants here, or of drift remnants still surviving on hills 4 miles away, since New Year!

Bearing in mind that although this has been a snowy Winter, I have measured 31cm from a single fall in Coventry (December 1990), and more than 32cm almost certainly lay here in January 1982 - I have seen photos of the snow from back then in the Aberystwyth area, where it was a foot or more even along the Promenade.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Another mighty 2cm on Sunday morning which din't last beyond noon, takes us to 17cm now.

Besides simple accumulated snowfall, is anyone else on here familiar with "Eden Days"? Named of course after Philip Eden, they were in vogue on uk.sci.weather a few years back as a way of assessing snowiness. It's a simple calculation; just add up the depths from each morning you've had snow lying. So 3 days with 5cm, plus 4 days with 2cm, and then one day with 15cm gives 38 Eden Days. The main difference from accumulated depths is that Eden Days keep accumulating providing snow stays on the ground, even if no more falls.

Here are the "Eden Days" for Shrewsbury since 93/4:

1993/4: 35

1994/5: 14

1995/6: 95

1996/7: 41

1997/8: 3

1998/9: 1

1999/0: 0

2000/1: 16

2001/2: 13

2002/3: 5

2003/4: 13

2004/5: 9

2005/6: 23

2006/7: 14

2007/8: 0

2008/9: 15

2009/0: 41 to 22nd Feb

So this winter has just equalled 1996/7 (which had reached that total in January), is not significantly snowier than 1993/4, and is still way behind 1995/6. Last winter was barely snowier than 2006/7.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

Ok, make that 145 Eden days, so pretty good here!