Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Very Light Snow approaching from NW 0.03mm/hr

made me laugh that,ive been out all day tree planting not a cloud in the sky and it ended up t-shirt weather.

not to worry though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I've never seen such a difference in snow cover from Stanley to Consett in the 3 years I've worked in Consett.

Nothing at all in Stanley, it was pretty much gone by Sunday morning. Driving towards Consett there's little sign of snow until you get beyond Greencroft and the road bends towards Pontop Pike, then it's like a winter wonderland.

Yesteday there must have been easily two inches in Consett, more patchy today but still another world compared to Stanley. Even over towards Tow Law which I think is higher the fields are green.

Feels like a little micro-climate in Consett at the moment.

Posted

GFS is no longer showing Sunday nights fantasy (while since i checked models i mean the Wed-Fri FI shown on sunday) island sad.gif

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Walking Ponteland golf course on Monday and Wednesday this week the near Cheviots were glistening white-cannot say for certain how far away from me but not that far -perhaps the snowline would be 4 to 5 miles away. It would be interesting to know the current depth up there.

Posted

I was in Chester le Street today, when I hit the snow just to the south of the Tyne in Low Fell I thought I'd see some there, but after the Angel of the North it turned back to rain. Interestingly, when you looked across towards the Stanley area the snowline seemed higher, which suggests there was a localised fall of accumulating snow around Low Fell courtesy of a heavier burst of precipitation.

It's usually to do with altitude when it's so marginal. You will find that in places Chester-le-street is only 15-20 mts asl, very low lying for an inland town.

The snowline wasn't higher towards Stanley, as I said it was very clear looking out of the window. The area you were refering to around Wrekenton tops out at >140 mts asl!! and the snow line was around 90-100mts. In winters gone by in similar conditions the higher ground around Wrekenton would be white whilst here it would be wet.