Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Here is the report of the Attheraces webiste. So what do you think of my chances now? smile.gif

Sunday's meeting at Sedgefield is subject to an 8am inspection due to the threat of further frost.

The Durham venue is unraceable at present but clerk of the course Charlie Moore is hoping conditions will improve in the next 24 hours.

He said: "It got down to minus 4C overnight and the course is not raceable at the moment. We're hopeful it will warm up and the track will be raceable and we've got the fleeces down in the vulnerable areas to try and help us."

He added: "It is forecast to get down to minus 3C, but we wouldn't want it to get any colder than that."

Well I think my chances have gone now were on earth is this snow coming from ? :D

Headline:

Frosty tonight. Sleet and snow tomorrow.

This Evening and Tonight:

A clear and cold night to come with a widespread and sharp frost and perhaps some freezing fog patches in a few places by dawn. An isolated wintry shower is possible during the evening, and more general snow around dawn. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Sunday:

Rather cloudy and cold through the day with outbreaks of sleet and snow. Perhaps falling as sleet close to the coast, but with slight accumulations of snow over hills. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Updated: 1526 on Sat 20 Feb 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Snow has more or less gone here in Peterlee due to the sun, only had a very light covering to start with.

Posted

Met office have issued advnance warnings for heavy snow on Sunday and Wednesday for us missing us off Mondays list. This should gives us some good falls if it can be trusted but do you trust the Meto or should i ignore it?

Posted

Met office have issued advnance warnings for heavy snow on Sunday and Wednesday for us missing us off Mondays list. This should gives us some good falls if it can be trusted but do you trust the Meto or should i ignore it?

I dont know mate this morning they were predicting it to be sunny this morning but been fair to the met they are doing the best they can in this VERY difficult forcast situation.

Posted

Overnight snow has just about disappeared apart from where direct sunlight has been unable to reach, temperature is a staggering 7.3°C..!!! Feels really pleasant out and about almost 'spring like' with hardly a breath of wind...Bring on the warmer days..:whistling:

7.3!!! Thats much higher than forecast but surely thats too high of a reading as even the snow on the ground would of melted in the shade? It was only a 2CM cover you reported so i'm survived the snow has not thawed completely with a temp like that.

We could see some snow tomorrow according to the latest BBC forecast but it is touch and go if any PPN reaches this far north. Eyes down to the radar i suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Neil Bradshaw reported a max of 8.4! I think some thermometers might be proving to be a little exposed, somewhere in the 4-6C region seems more likely.

Posted

Neil Bradshaw reported a max of 8.4! I think some thermometers might be proving to be a little exposed.

TWS what do you think of Sedgefield Races will it be called off? :whistling: and what is it going to be like tommorrow? because the weather in the morning is quite important i need it to be sunny

Posted

I dont know mate this morning they were predicting it to be sunny this morning but been fair to the met they are doing the best they can in this VERY difficult forcast situation.

I'm aware its a difficult situation. I was planning to write my first attempt t a forecast but the models are so inconsistent I've left it. Looking at them I think snow is defietely on the cards its just when and where thats hard.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

7.3!!! Thats much higher than forecast but surely thats too high of a reading as even the snow on the ground would of melted in the shade? It was only a 2CM cover you reported so i'm survived the snow has not thawed completely with a temp like that.

We could see some snow tomorrow according to the latest BBC forecast but it is touch and go if any PPN reaches this far north. Eyes down to the radar i suppose.

After about an hour or so the snow in the shade did melt. The temp actually went up to 8.4°C. I personally didnt take the reading it came from Neil Bradshaws weather station just up the road from me and his station is pretty reliable just ask TWS.OOps just seen TWS reply, yeah i thought it was a little to high but when i was out in the garden i was out in shorts and a jumper(cleaning bins etc) and it really did feel very pleasant.

Ps cant remember what 8°C feels like ...its been that long...!!!

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I have to say tomorrow's snow is in much better shape now, by that I mean there is a chance it could even reach Tyneside.

Edited by alza

Posted

Tomorrow mornings snow is very much in the air for this region, the 12z NAE certainly suggests you guys will get in on the act but its still a little soon to know. The upshot is it should arrive in the morning hours, say between 8-10am, which is just the right time for it to settle, after that the sunshine in late Feb tends to take things very much towards marginal quite rapidly IMO.

As for the rest of the week, thats really in the air, the 12z models have strongly moved away from the idea of Mondays event beinbg this far north, but Wednesday's event is still very much in the air and could well end up this far north, who knows though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Tomorrow looks like being cloudy, dry to begin with then snow spreading up from the south-west. The snow is unlikely to produce significant accumulations at low levels because it will coincide with the warmest time of day (I think it will take its time to push in from the SW), but over high ground 5-10cm is quite feasible.

Neil Bradshaw's site is normally good for temperature readings but on very sunny days the daytime maxima can be anomalously high. The two most likely reasons are that either the thermometer is unscreened/exposed, or that his garden becomes a sun-trap. I have the latter problem and so I have devised downward "calibration factors" for the daytime maxima I get on sunny days from March to September inclusive, but on occasion Neil's daytime maxima can be a good couple of degrees higher even than my raw values.

Newcastle Airport and Newton Aycliffe reported maxima of 4C and 4.2C respectively, while Teeside reported 6C. I think 6C sounds about right for South Shields's maximum.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Latest BBC video forecast on their website looks pretty good for tomorrow with snow reaching as far as Northumberland on their graphics.

She mentions the snow lingering around the Newcastle area in the afternoon, maybe giving several cm's of snow! Could be an interesting day tomorrow.

Also good to see TWS and KW coming on here giving your views even though you're not in the area.

Posted

Well that snow is holding up preety well coming straight at us :) I putt :) as im meant to be going to Sedgefield Races.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

First signs on the radar that the band of precip is starting to split and weaken as is croses the pennines it often does this lets hope it peps back up again as it heads northeastwardsdrinks.gif

Posted

Looks like the snow may reach Teesside by about 1o am, Tyneside by about 11am. Reading some of the posts in other regional threads it looks like some places have had about 10cm from this. Will I have the sledges out this afternoon, I hope so.

Also looking good for the rest of the week, after tomorrow anyway. There could be plenty of disrupption on the roads coming up before next weekend, when and where is hard to say but I suspect we are all in for a good dumping this week up here. Fingers crossed eh.

Karl

Posted

I know this may sound stupid im getting slightly worried about the temp and dew point currently the temp is -0.4C and Dewpoint -1.7C compared to 1 hours ago when Temp was -1.7C and Dewpoint - 2.8C.

Posted

I know this may sound stupid im getting slightly worried about the temp and dew point currently the temp is -0.4C and Dewpoint -1.7C compared to 1 hours ago when Temp was -1.7C and Dewpoint - 2.8C.

Don't worry SS1, it's just an indication that the front is getting close and soon you will have snow ! Let us know what time it starts, my guess for you is in the next 15 mins.Could last 3 or 4 hrs.

Posted

I am not so sure now that the snow will reach North Northumberland but it certainly is cold-temperature at 7-30 am was -7c.

Yes,a very cold morning with temperatures below freezing across the whole region.

Scotland even colder.Temperature Map - Britain

Posted

Don't worry SS1, it's just an indication that the front is getting close and soon you will have snow ! Let us know what time it starts, my guess for you is in the next 15 mins.Could last 3 or 4 hrs.

Light snow now falling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The front looks a lot weaker than what it was when it dumped 10cm further South, so I don't think we'll get anything like that. I wouldn't bet against 2-5cm for those who get hit by it though.

Posted

The front looks a lot weaker than what it was when it dumped 10cm further South, so I don't think we'll get anything like that. I wouldn't bet against 2-5cm for those who get hit by it though.

I was thinking that but im going out in 30mins so woont be able to report until later tonight :) Currently Light snow small flakes but need intensity to increase to lay :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I was thinking that but im going out in 30mins so woont be able to report until later tonight :) Currently Light snow small flakes but need intensity to increase to lay :D

Sedgefield is abandoned...

http://www.sedgefield-racecourse.co.uk/horse-racing/going-weather.php