Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

took a few pics of our local resevoir.it's been frozen solid since the end of December.

sorry about the size,i dont know how to make them smaller.

post-5332-12668380678517_thumb.jpg

post-5332-12668381912917_thumb.jpg

post-5332-12668382919517_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hey guys - just to add to the collection of reports! I went up to Alnmouth and Alnwick yesterday morning (ironically an area not covered by MetO warnings when I set off at 9am-ish!), and there was a very heavy snow shower/period of snow, lasting around 30-45 minutes, around midday, after an earlier snow pellet-style shower right on the beach at Alnmouth, which settled everywhere! Some stunning views out to sea up there, and it did appear that the weather there was coming in off the sea, rather than off the land (A glance at the relevant radar imagery confirmed that once I got back to Durham!)

Around 4-5cm of snow had fallen in Alnwick during that snow shower - we arrived there on a bus (a fun journey in itself from Alnmouth to Alnwick, that one! Lots of spinning wheels and effort needed to get up even small hills, due to the intensity and ready accumulation of the snow on the roads!) around 12:45, as it began to ease. The flakes were absolutely massive though, a spectacular sight ;)

A further very heavy snow shower back in Alnmouth around 2pm as we waited for a train back down to Durham. Fascinating stuff to watch first-hand, as the flakes changed from small pellets, to massive settling flakes, back to pellets and so on! We did notice though that anywhere south of about Morpeth, through to just south of Newcastle, had no apparent snow at all! This tallies with your reports and the radar images - but that was partly what motivated me to post this, so that you guys could get an idea of what had been happening pretty much all around you! Really unlucky not to have seen more snow in Newcastle itself yesterday, I feel!

Then back to Durham by around 3:30. It was snowing pretty heavily at that point, but it was very wet snow, not really settling on roads etc, and certainly quite a lot less on the ground than there had been in Alnmouth and Alnwick (a couple of cms tops at that point). The snow did persist for several hours though, pretty much until bedtime! Lovely to see, and here, about a mile South of the city centre, there is a good 5cm or more lf lying snow, particularly on the grass. It struck me, walking through town this morning, that there was a good inch or so more snow here than down in the city centre, despite the very short distance between the two. There was a further hefty snow shower, quite out of the blue, around 8am today, but other than that it's been dry and sunny for much of the time this morning, with the snow thawing off the trees, but not really melting too much elsewhere. :)

Hope that report is of use in terms of establishing the picture across at least some of the area! ;)

Cheers ;)

Edited by Snow Hawk

Posted

Hey guys - just to add to the collection of reports! I went up to Alnmouth and Alnwick yesterday morning (ironically an area not covered by MetO warnings when I set off at 9am-ish!), and there was a very heavy snow shower/period of snow, lasting around 30-45 minutes, around midday, after an earlier snow pellet-style shower right on the beach at Alnmouth, which settled everywhere! Some stunning views out to sea up there, and it did appear that the weather there was coming in off the sea, rather than off the land (A glance at the relevant radar imagery confirmed that once I got back to Durham!)

Around 4-5cm of snow had fallen in Alnwick during that snow shower - we arrived there on a bus (a fun journey in itself from Alnmouth to Alnwick, that one! Lots of spinning wheels and effort needed to get up even small hills, due to the intensity and ready accumulation of the snow on the roads!) around 12:45, as it began to ease. The flakes were absolutely massive though, a spectacular sight :blink:

A further very heavy snow shower back in Alnmouth around 2pm as we waited for a train back down to Durham. Fascinating stuff to watch first-hand, as the flakes changed from small pellets, to massive settling flakes, back to pellets and so on! We did notice though that anywhere south of about Morpeth, through to just south of Newcastle, had no apparent snow at all! This tallies with your reports and the radar images - but that was partly what motivated me to post this, so that you guys could get an idea of what had been happening pretty much all around you! Really unlucky not to have seen more snow in Newcastle itself yesterday, I feel!

Then back to Durham by around 3:30. It was snowing pretty heavily at that point, but it was very wet snow, not really settling on roads etc, and certainly quite a lot less on the ground than there had been in Alnmouth and Alnwick (a couple of cms tops at that point). The snow did persist for several hours though, pretty much until bedtime! Lovely to see, and here, about a mile South of the city centre, there is a good 5cm or more lf lying snow, particularly on the grass. It struck me, walking through town this morning, that there was a good inch or so more snow here than down in the city centre, despite the very short distance between the two. There was a further hefty snow shower, quite out of the blue, around 8am today, but other than that it's been dry and sunny for much of the time this morning, with the snow thawing off the trees, but not really melting too much elsewhere. :)

Hope that report is of use in terms of establishing the picture across at least some of the area! :D

Cheers :drinks:

hello stranger,ive just read a very similar report over on MM lol.bob

Posted

Interestingly met office 5 day forecast is forecasting light snow from wednesday morning till friday night for newcastle. i don't know how accurate that is as the forecasts can be a tad vague before it gets into the hourly forecasts - which are excellent. annoyingly however they have decided to miss tyne and wear out of the weather advisory for wednesday ohmy.gif i don't know if there expecting it to be sleet/rain in these areas or near coastal areas, hopefully not. The GFS has been up and down in the way of forecasting snow probabilities for wednesday and at the minute its forecasting a sleet to rain event for my area mellow.gif i suppose its still a bit up in the air at the minute but i don't have much confidence for wednesday to be honest - for my area that is, areas with a bit of height and distance from the coast should be fine.

Posted

i'm quite hopeful up here lol.

lmao if i had the choice of living inland i would, could be worse though i could be living on the south coast haha. nonono.gif

Posted

could be worse though i could be living on the south coast haha. nonono.gif

:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Well lovely surprise this morning with a icy sugar dusting on all surfaces but all gone by midday but still a nice surprise biggrin.gif

Oh and this week looks a nightmare to forcast especially for us! Because the cold air may fight and stay over us which could create heavy and very significant snowfalls. But atm i need help from other people on here because im quite confused AGAIN :$ lol :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Well lovely surprise this morning with a icy sugar dusting on all surfaces but all gone by midday but still a nice surprise biggrin.gif

Oh and this week looks a nightmare to forcast especially for us! Because the cold air may fight and stay over us which could create heavy and very significant snowfalls. But atm i need help from other people on here because im quite confused AGAIN :$ lol :)

No more confused than the rest of us SS !!

Anything could happen this week and some of it could be very localised. None of us, some of us or all of us could get very wet. All of us, some of us or none of us could get very snowed in.All of us will be cold, but some of us more cold than the rest of us. Those that are colder than the others could get more snowy than wet, and those of us that are warmer than the others could get more wet than snowy. We will all get wet or snowy.

Those that live high up may get very snowy compared to those that live low down, who will get wet, unless of course it is cold enough in which case we will all get snow whether or not we live up high or down low.Of course, if it is too warm we will all just get wet, whether we live up high or low down.

If you live high up near the coast, toss a coin, if you live low down inland, toss a coin.

If you don't have a coin, go to bed until Saturday.Wake up and look out of the window, all will be revealed.

Simple as,

Cheers,

Karl

Posted

It was interesting whilst travelling to Shields that there was only very small evidence of snow with a patchy dusting but around here there was around 2CM's this morning.

The snow has hardly melted today except where the sun has shined. I'm slightly hopeful of a top up on Wednesday morning but it marginal to say the least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Well Well Well.... Itv local forcast said sleet and snow staying with us from tuesday night till friday.... i was quite shocked with no mention of rain .... do they know something we dont? :)

Posted

Well Well Well.... Itv local forcast said sleet and snow staying with us from tuesday night till friday.... i was quite shocked with no mention of rain .... do they know something we dont? :)

Should be an interest few days ahead. Lets see what Look North goes for in a few mins.

Posted

Look North has put a heavy snow warning in place for most of the week but they were clever using the safe-word wintry an awful lot. No offence to Coast but I'm glad I don't live on the south coast they seem to have had it wet wet wet recently and did anyone see the news pics of Gordon Brown walking through that rain in London(not south coast but south). Big puddles.

Posted

Inland Northumberland and north and west county durham look like they will do very well from Wednesday to Friday for sustained snowfall.

Signs the front is not going to get quite as far north as first expected, with the 528 dam line hovering close to the border, preventing any of the milder air from really establishing. Cumbria will join in the fun as well, Look North region well positioned for being the snowiest part of the country this week. North Pennines and Lakeland Fells are going to do well.

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Had a moderate shower here about 730 giving us another dusting and topping up yesterdays when the sun didnt get to. Looking very good for all of us overnight into Wednesday.

Net weather hinting it will turn milder after the snow but most others keeping the cold over us. Whatever happens rush hour Wednesday morning looks like being fun!

Posted

Well. not looking spectacular for Tyne and Wear. A little bit confusing though, all reports (media) tell us that we are in for a dumpimng tonight before turning to rain, yet we haven't got a warning or even an alert out for here, how disappointing !

karl

Posted

Well. not looking spectacular for Tyne and Wear. A little bit confusing though, all reports (media) tell us that we are in for a dumpimng tonight before turning to rain, yet we haven't got a warning or even an alert out for here, how disappointing !

karl

I think there is still a lot of uncertainty as to how long the snow will last and indeed how much if any will accumulate at lower levels,I see it as nowcasting as the mild air might not even make it to North Northumberland-stay tuned.

Posted

karl

Warning back up now. Invent model just updated appears precip hangs around longer on Wednesday. Still cold enough for snow higher up

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

regions:60% Northern Ireland

60% Yorkshire & Humber

60% North East England

Heavy Snow 0010 Wed 24 1800 Wed 24

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting Northern Ireland and parts of northern England. There is the potential for heavy snow to give significant accumulations, especially over high ground. There is likely to be significant disruption to travel networks, particularly over higher level routes.

Snow will gradually turn back to rain from the south later on Wednesday.

Issued at: 1232 Tue 23 Feb

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

well us in Co Durham look like having no gritting done again.looks like A roads only :cold:

Definitely looking good for us for snow, but not for travelling!

Tomorrow morning could be very interesting if only A roads are gritted, it'll be hard enough just reaching the A roads.

I will be parking about a mile from home tonight just so I don't have to get up a bank tomorrow.

They've stopped gritting our bank and even the slightest covering makes it difficult to get up so it looks very likely the estate will be cut off again tomorrow. I will enjoy walking up passed everyone struggling.

Hope low lying parts get some action too.