Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi Ali - I think we've all got that snow fatigue and model fatigue - and it's gonna continue from what I can see - a nasty low with heavy winds + the possiblity of dragging the cold into it as well could be coming sunday and then after that - we could be in for more cold easterlies next week - so that spring warmth may well be on hold for a little while - and if you wanted to come and "borrow" some of me snow I'd turn and look away while you did - I'm sure

Well it makes another interesting week then. Lol, thanks for turning your back, would prefer you to lift a shovel as well, but hey beggars can't be choosers. lol

Posted

Moderate to Heavy snow since around 14:30 here, drifting in strong easterly wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

So is there still a chance of snow then as we go into march? i remember this time last year was a fair bit warmer than this lol, well here it was anyway with highs some days of 15/16C, compared to today with so far a high of 3C! temp now up from 2.1C to 2.7C.

Also, when is the jet stream likely to come back to the uk?

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

If the cold conditions continue into march and april, does this mean we could end up with sort of a decent summer? I would really like to sit out in the sunshine this year.

Posted

If the cold conditions continue into march and april, does this mean we could end up with sort of a decent summer? I would really like to sit out in the sunshine this year.

All the signs are that the blocking scenarios will continue and a few long term forecasters are forecasting a hot summer

So is there still a chance of snow then as we go into march? i remember this time last year was a fair bit warmer than this lol, well here it was anyway with highs some days of 15/16C, compared to today with so far a high of 3C! temp now up from 2.1C to 2.7C.

Also, when is the jet stream likely to come back to the uk?

It looks to be on permanent leave doesn't it - seems to have been partly responsible for the disaster on the island of madeira as well by dragging the atlantic storms south - on vacation - we'll just have to see

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Must be a cold winter just seen my first small daffodil feb gold normally out in february as name implies,wont open until march havent seen daffs this late since 1982.

Posted

Been snowing and drifting since about 1.50pm wind has dropped back abit but upper air is above 0c now going by GFS,UKMO below 0c and even tiny snow grains, this is unprecidented going by GFS for upper air as I`ve seen.!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wzkarten.de/wz/pics/Rmgfs032.gif

http://www.wzkarten.de/wz/pics/Rmgfs062.gif

Snow and soft hail now 0.2c

Posted

All the signs are that the blocking scenarios will continue and a few long term forecasters are forecasting a hot summer

It looks to be on permanent leave doesn't it - seems to have been partly responsible for the disaster on the island of madeira as well by dragging the atlantic storms south - on vacation - we'll just have to see

Will the jet stream ever come back?

Is this the end of the jet stream?

As the arctic ice melts during global warming, this could lead to the end of the the atlantic dross as we know it.

Global warming to equal cooling for the uk whilst other areas warm up (eg vancouver?)

Ice cold winters that we deserve for our latitude!

Posted

No point in looking at T+216, I think we have seen how quickly things can change. However the ECM is very interesting as soon as T+72 , with NW winds and sub -5c Temps at 850HPA.

Still seems a possibility that rain will turn to snow towards the weekend seems to be a general agreement we should see some some snow especially in western uk.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Andy you better put some of your snow in the freezer mate coz this rain will melt it in no time,in fact its raining so hard now i think there be nothing left up bwlch tomor morn.

Posted

Andy you better put some of your snow in the freezer mate coz this rain will melt it in no time,in fact its raining so hard now i think there be nothing left up bwlch tomor morn.

Don't worry - just seen the GFS 18z - and once again a trend is really developing in FI (low res) - beginning of March sees a north easterly followed by an easterly - to go well into the month - which will continue keeping the cold and here in wales should allow lows to come up from the south/south west and feed off the cold and dump it's snow again and again

I feel rather like Wat Tyler here and suspect i may be in for a hanging, but also i think Andys style is ruffling a few feathers and is "not the net weather way".

We here in Wales ( and i think i speak for 50% plus of the posters in here) , look forward to Andys posts regardless of what they contain.

Nothing better than a conspiracy theory, to raise the bar of the debate and draw in all comers, which indeed this has done.

Keep right on Andy!!

drinks.gif

Thanks Pascals - I appreciate the support - I just try and say it the way I see it - + I believe everyone has the right to their own opinion too regardless of what that might be! - it's important people post their thoughts on here and keep this place alive with interesting debate - shows everyone else in the UK who lurk about and look in (while we're enjoying our snowfalls) that we have a voice and have something to say!

Posted

Don't worry - just seen the GFS 18z - and once again a trend is really developing in FI (low res) - beginning of March sees a north easterly followed by an easterly - to go well into the month - which will continue keeping the cold and here in wales should allow lows to come up from the south/south west and feed off the cold and dump it's snow again and again

Well I have two shovels at the ready, one blindfold just in case you find it hard to turn your back and a suitcase packed and ready just in case I get snowed in at yours whilst on snow nicking mission. Bring it on. lol

Posted

Andy whats your opinion on the weather for us in Cornwall for the next week please, do you think it;s going to stay milder here?

Posted

Noooo, i want spring !! i want spring!!

We could end up with some MEGA blizzards now!! thats ok , as long as it is not mega sleet fests.

I wonder if the met office will miss you out on the next blizzard forecast lol?

Apart from the main cities , we are rather sparsely populated , hence the main focus of the forecast being for the city areas of Wales.

diablo.gif

There is no way of accurately forecasting a summer based on the winter unfortunately, although I will gladly accept accept a nice hot one. As for point 2, spot on the Jet Stream is way south of its normal course, and has been for a considerable time. As per above, certainly hope it pushes back north of us by the time the summer comes along.

Must be a cold winter just seen my first small daffodil feb gold normally out in february as name implies,wont open until march havent seen daffs this late since 1982.

I've seen them out in January in fairly recent winters.

Posted

Andy that be good mate if that comes off,and i think you are doing a good job on this site to keep spirits up mate and to be honest i do go on other parts of this site and as a compleat novice, i think that some people on other parts do go way to far with their views about others (and other peoples posts)and in fact cant beleive the way some people act just because someone says something that they dont like. and at least you been keeping with the cold snowy weather and have not jumped ship with one model change,and this is not a dig at anyone it is just what i feel has been going on since 2nd week of jan.

so thats my mad 3 mins now come on Andy lets have a good dumping of snow and then nice warm dry weather until middle of oct lol.

Posted

Andy that be good mate if that comes off,and i think you are doing a good job on this site to keep spirits up mate and to be honest i do go on other parts of this site and as a compleat novice, i think that some people on other parts do go way to far with their views about others (and other peoples posts)and in fact cant beleive the way some people act just because someone says something that they dont like. and at least you been keeping with the cold snowy weather and have not jumped ship with one model change,and this is not a dig at anyone it is just what i feel has been going on since 2nd week of jan.

so thats my mad 3 mins now come on Andy lets have a good dumping of snow and then nice warm dry weather until middle of oct lol.

Thanks welshwizard - I appreciate your comments - It may seem like I'm a total snow fanatic - but because we have had a winter like we've had - there hasn't really been anything else to talk about has there + the title of this thread is "Cold Spell Discussion" - so I've certainly kept within the topic even with my sometimes extra curricular linking topics I've brought in to highlight the points I've tried to make. I am also a warm weather fan and enjoy my holidays to the canaries and enjoy my days out the back in the sunshine mowing the lawn or just relaxing - so it's not all snow snow snow with me - I'm not just a one topic man then

I feel rather like Wat Tyler here and suspect i may be in for a hanging, but also i think Andys style is ruffling a few feathers and is "not the net weather way".

We here in Wales ( and i think i speak for 50% plus of the posters in here) , look forward to Andys posts regardless of what they contain.

Nothing better than a conspiracy theory, to raise the bar of the debate and draw in all comers, which indeed this has done.

Keep right on Andy!!

drinks.gif

The Marmite syndrome, some love him, but some don't hence, the compliment and complaints in equal measure. but time to move on from this and back to the weather.

Posted

The Marmite syndrome, some love him, but some don't hence, the compliment and complaints in equal measure. but time to move on from this and back to the weather.

Yes i partially agree, but i would say that more love him than hate him , so i would call this the vanilla cheesecake syndrome.

It would be interesting to see how many people actually complain about Andy as opposed to those who support him?

Is there any access to this material?

Anyway roll on the weekend and one last blast before we enter March and SPRINGTIME!!

Yes i partially agree, but i would say that more love him than hate him , so i would call this the vanilla cheesecake syndrome.

It would be interesting to see how many people actually complain about Andy as opposed to those who support him?

Is there any access to this material?

Anyway roll on the weekend and one last blast before we enter March and SPRINGTIME!!

Quite a lot of complaints actually and many of those are so fed up with the awfulness of the Welsh thread, they do not post in here anymore.

Anyway let's draw a line under this and move on to discussing the weather.