Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Im not data head im sure we had wet snow june 6 1970.

wow Kieth - that's some recalling there mate - and snow in JUNE - amazing - I know they can get snow in June in Scotland but wow - Wales - quite the thing - but of course the 70s - that was another of earth's cooling cycles like the next couple of decades are going to be - so maybe we'll get snow in June again in the next couple of winters/spring/late winters ????????????????????

Posted

Not quite June, but this was 6th April 2008, we were sleeping in the extension to the awning when we woke up to a snow covering. We were at Pandy, north of Abergavenny.

post-11291-12668781028717_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not quite June, but this was 6th April 2008, we were sleeping in the extension to the awning when we woke up to a snow covering. We were at Pandy, north of Abergavenny.

April - wow - nice pic Joo - just shows - winter can bite back anytime over the next two months or so - before we can finally dust off - or in my case buy a new one - those BBQs and get the steaks a cooking - I got an idea - may be we could have a get together over a burger one day in the summer and meet up - the welsh/cymru thread forum

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Nice pic there Joo, and looking at that road sign , i would say that there must have been a MEGA blizzard , all be it a short one.

Extremes of weather int it brilliant.

April - wow - nice pic Joo - just shows - winter can bite back anytime over the next two months or so - before we can finally dust off - or in my case buy a new one - those BBQs and get the steaks a cooking - I got an idea - may be we could have a get together over a burger one day in the summer and meet up - the welsh/cymru thread forum

Good idea, ill bring my data log book and loads of old charts to keep the conversation flowing.

Wonder if we will be able to get up the graigerhorn with all that June snowfall though?

Posted

Latest NAE Looks pretty much the same in terms of snowfall for Wales- Mid and North receiving the worst of it.

http://expert.weathe...022312_2218.gif

http://expert.weathe...022318_2218.gif

http://expert.weathe...022400_2218.gif

Dewpoints and upper air temps will be rising as the front goes through but initially should be low enough to offer snow for S/SE Wales mainly for those around 200m i would say- maybe even to lower levels in SE Wales for a time away from the coast where conditions are again slightly colder.

http://expert.weathe...022315_2218.gif

http://expert.weathe...022315_2218.gif

Those charts still show a pretty good chance of us in the S East getting at least a taster tomorrow though don't they or am I reading with my snow tinted glasses on again

Posted

Those charts still show a pretty good chance of us in the S East getting at least a taster tomorrow though don't they or am I reading with my snow tinted glasses on again

no steve - you and I may get a few hours of snow - might settle as well before it changes back to rain

It even snowed later that day.

Let's hope we get snow again when I'm there this April.

well that's diagonal snow - definitely a blizzard

Posted

count me in Andy, I will have the triple, decker, mega wammy, humongous, enormous burger you have please yahoo.gif I understand they do them at ice land. lol

Posted

Nice pic there Joo, and looking at that road sign , i would say that there must have been a MEGA blizzard , all be it a short one.

Extremes of weather int it brilliant.

Good idea, ill bring my data log book and loads of old charts to keep the conversation flowing.

Wonder if we will be able to get up the graigerhorn with all that June snowfall though?

The graigerhorn even without snow feels like you've just (in a car) jumped into the space shuttle and you're taking off into outer space. It amazes me - I even see people walikng it with shoppingcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif and even nuttier - cycling up itcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif - now I like a bit of mountain biking (I've even got the racks on me volvo to put me mountain bike on) but the graigerhorn - I don't think so

Edited by andymusic

In reply to Keith's comment, I cannot ever remember snow in June, but in 1999, we had lying snow from some heavy showers in April 1999, it was on the night Ryan Giggs scored that goal in the FA Cup Semi Final against Arsenal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Yup i wouldnt rule out snow to lower levels of SE Wales (inland parts) as the front hits in to the colder air- Although the snow risk will transfer more to higher ground i think as the day goes on due to some milder air starting to move in.

Posted

In reply to Keith's comment, I cannot ever remember snow in June, but in 1999, we had lying snow from some heavy showers in April 1999, it was on the night Ryan Giggs scored that goal in the FA Cup Semi Final against Arsenal.

So it was only the snow that was good on that day then? lol

I remember snow in the April of 99 - I was a student teacher at the time and it was the first day of 'summer term' - hardly any kids in school as a resourceful pupil had phoned the bus company posing as a member of the senior management team and had cancelled all the buses - I understand that there are now more stringent checks in place after that one lol

I haven't made many posts on here, but have really enjoyed reading - plus its been much easier to get an accurate idea of what will happen with the weather here than by following either the meto or the beeb - thanks everyone

Edited by daiell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Just to point out some of the Met Office advisories have recently been updated by the looks of things: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Got some light snow flakes blowing around in the wind at times here, so hope it starts as snow instead of rain today!! temp 1.3C

Just as i typed that we now have light snow!

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales

Got some light snow flakes blowing around in the wind at times here, so hope it starts as snow instead of rain today!! temp 1.3C

Just as i typed that we now have light snow!

Light snow at the moment here in Bargoed - sky is also full of it - quite surprised.

I see though, form the latest forecasts, that the mild air will push rain in quicker than they originally progged last night so quite disappointed - was hoping to go 'gosh its bad up the valleys -I got to go home' in work later. Not going to happen now (I work in Cardiff!)

Lets hope the weather, again, especially the cold, decides it loves us and wants to stick around Wales!

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just snow grains now and then blowing in the wind here now, temp rising to so it might be rain from the word go here! Will have to wait and see.

Posted

Hi Guys,

Anyone who has not been out - it is a lot colder than it has been for quite a while - probably mainly due to the windchill - the temp is also hovering at zero up here in Bargoed.

We have the snow still coming down light but it is blowing around - it is sticking quite quickly as we have a covering - shows how dry it is and also cold ground temps. Could this cold air be stubborn and stick around a bit longer - would certainly think it could?

All I need now is the tumbleweed outside - also - gets some in here - its like a morgue!

JK

Posted

Hi John - as I left for work this morning at 7am the snow had just started as you said - very fine but blowing along the floor and sticking on the paths already. Temp was 0.5 degrees when I came out - dropped to Freezing through Cefn Hengoed but had rizen to 1.5 degrees when I got to Newport. The sky looked absolutely full of it- couldn't see any of the mountains around us. Nothing exciting in terms of met office warnings for our part of the world this morning but it sure is cold.

Posted

Hi John - as I left for work this morning at 7am the snow had just started as you said - very fine but blowing along the floor and sticking on the paths already. Temp was 0.5 degrees when I came out - dropped to Freezing through Cefn Hengoed but had rizen to 1.5 degrees when I got to Newport. The sky looked absolutely full of it- couldn't see any of the mountains around us. Nothing exciting in terms of met office warnings for our part of the world this morning but it sure is cold.

Hi Steve,

Well - just seen the Welsh forecast on Beeb - and they have the snow on us (South East) until about 3pm - no rain then appears as it goes 'dry' - rain not coming until midnight (and then rest of week!) - so might have a good afternoon up here with us?

JK

Posted

morning all,i got a feeling that we may see quite a bit of snow during today,if these temps stay as they are (cold) and that area comes over us it could hit us as snow on high ground anyway,but could even be snow at low ground.it does feel very cold today and my car is showing 0 c so fingers crossed we may get one last lot of snow beofre the milder weather comes in.