Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi Steve,

Well - just seen the Welsh forecast on Beeb - and they have the snow on us (South East) until about 3pm - no rain then appears as it goes 'dry' - rain not coming until midnight (and then rest of week!) - so might have a good afternoon up here with us?

JK

Probably nothing doing in Newport though - so might be one of those days where the wife is calling saying you better get home now its a blizzard up here and everyone laughs at work where theres not even a hint of drizzle down here.

Posted

Meto have warnings out for somerset and devon at 150m and above for heavy snow from the slow moving heavier band of precip - so when that arrives here it should snow at most levels I would have thought - the -5 colder uppers have come further south

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Meto have warnings out for somerset and devon at 150m and above for heavy snow from the slow moving heavier band of precip - so when that arrives here it should snow at most levels I would have thought - the -5 colder uppers have come further south

Will i get some do you think?

Posted

OK I am going for a very wild guess of snow moving into most levels (wider area) of south east wales, pontypridd etc between 10:30-11:00am!!! LOL

Posted

OK I am going for a very wild guess of snow moving into most levels (wider area) of south east wales, pontypridd etc between 10:30-11:00am!!! LOL

arriving early eh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Very very very fine flakes here hanging in the air.

I'm reckoning that it will hit Merthyr around 11:15 - 11:45

Posted

Very very very fine flakes here hanging in the air.

I'm reckoning that it will hit Merthyr around 11:15 - 11:45

would anyone like to place their bets?hi.gif

Posted

Anyone else reporting snow at the moment. It's not much to shout about, but there's nothing on the radar.

Next year i'm running a sweepstake in work good.gif

Posted

would anyone like to place their bets?hi.gif

It was already snowing at home at 7am this morning - In Newport there are flakes in the air at the moment and its flippin cold outside for sure.

Is the general thought then - heavier snow perhaps mid morning until around 3ish perhaps followed by a brief interlude before the mild weather and rain washes it all away only for the colder weather to make a last desperate attempt to head off spring after the weekend.

I'll have a fiver on it - what odds are you giving Andy?

Posted

Anyone else reporting snow at the moment. It's not much to shout about, but there's nothing on the radar.

Next year i'm running a sweepstake in work good.gif

Nothing on the radar?

Can't you see the big wadge of snow coming at us from the south west?

try raintoday.co.uk

netweather's subscription radar

or the meto's free one

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Nothing on the radar?

Can't you see the big wadge of snow coming at us from the south west?

try raintoday.co.uk

netweather's subscription radar

or the meto's free one

I can see the big load over cornwall and devon, but as for the flurries up in Merthyr.... I don;t know where they are coming from.

Posted

It was already snowing at home at 7am this morning - In Newport there are flakes in the air at the moment and its flippin cold outside for sure.

Is the general thought then - heavier snow perhaps mid morning until around 3ish perhaps followed by a brief interlude before the mild weather and rain washes it all away only for the colder weather to make a last desperate attempt to head off spring after the weekend.

I'll have a fiver on it - what odds are you giving Andy?

well - the cold may hang around until well into the evening - before it starts warming up into the early hours - gfs has precip over us well into tonight - but that may include showers once the main front passes - I'd give 3/1 odds that cardiff will get snow by 10.30am and then the valleys soon after

I can see the big load over cornwall and devon, but as for the flurries up in Merthyr.... I don;t know where they are coming from.

Sorry Blackjack - The front doesn't just include what you see on the radar - on the GFS model it also includes a cloudy bit before that, which is obviuosly dropping the odd flake - due to the resolution of this (small amounts) this will not really show up on radar - although saying that - raintoday's radar resolution is quite good and can zero in a little better on things like this

Edited by andymusic

Posted

well - the cold may hang around until well into the evening - before it starts warming up into the early hours - gfs has precip over us well into tonight - but that may include showers once the main front passes - I'd give 3/1 odds that cardiff will get snow by 10.30am and then the valleys soon after

I am keeping my bet at same timing - again 3/1 as andy said!!

Posted

I am keeping my bet at same timing - again 3/1 as andy said!!

It's quite good that it's coming in earlier than progged - it can tap into the cold that we had overnight quicker - might make all the difference

Posted

GFS and NAE going for the snow to hang around until tonight - overnight it will then start to turn to rain (I would have thought more so over the valleys at least, cardiff may well turn back to rain sooner) - so the "3pm" snow watershed should only apply to the coastal zones

Raintoday now has the main band virtually coming over the coast at Llanwit Major - here we go folks!

Posted

It's quite good that it's coming in earlier than progged - it can tap into the cold that we had overnight quicker - might make all the difference

bluming freezing. Just came back from walking the dog in the sleet. brrrrrcold.gif actually whilst walking him, I got quite excited about when I can walk him in the summer, with hot sun shining down on us clap.gif although I hope we get some snow to finish this winter off first lol. No pleasing me is their.

Posted

bluming freezing. Just came back from walking the dog in the sleet. brrrrrcold.gif actually whilst walking him, I got quite excited about when I can walk him in the summer, with hot sun shining down on us clap.gif although I hope we get some snow to finish this winter off first lol. No pleasing me is their.

Yeah I know Ali - it's a real drawback that - gotta be perishingly cold to get snow - might look nice - pretty as a picture xmas card - but it's flippin freezing too - and in the real -10s and below you start to lose fingers and stuff with frost bite and go into hypothermia and - well you can work out the rest - it's a double edged sword - we love it cause it hasn't been happening a great deal in britain in recent years, but it can be a deadly force as well! - I suppose you could say it's a bit like a snake charming us - we are drawn into it's spell - but then it bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted

Yeah I know Ali - it's a real drawback that - gotta be perishingly cold to get snow - might look nice - pretty as a picture xmas card - but it's flippin freezing too - and in the real -10s and below you start to lose fingers and stuff with frost bite and go into hypothermia and - well you can work out the rest - it's a double edged sword - we love it cause it hasn't been happening a great deal in britain in recent years, but it can be a deadly force as well! - I suppose you could say it's a bit like a snake charming us - we are drawn into it's spell - but then it bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Mate, metoffice don't have cardiff in the heavy snow warning? - why?

My step dad has to head to work, Cardiff airport at 1 - do you think it will be tricky to get there?

Posted

not sure if mised this earlier and its a repost, but theres a flash warning from met office issued at 0957am http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

apologies if it is a repost!

JAY anything in cardiff yet?

Edited by worldairgroup

Posted

My step dad has to head to work, Cardiff airport at 1 - do you think it will be tricky to get there?

That's really weird - they've included Newprt un all - Jay take no notice mate - you will see some snow - bit of a surprise top estimations have gone up from 10 - 15cms - ooooooooooooooooooh - looks like we might have some fun today afterall - GFS was right with it's predictions once again!

Posted

That's really weird - they've included Newprt un all - Jay take no notice mate - you will see some snow - bit of a surprise top estimations have gone up from 10 - 15cms - ooooooooooooooooooh - looks like we might have some fun today afterall - GFS was right with it's predictions once again!

I'm taking pics of the snow after all it might be our last this winter.