Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

i cant believe where i live theres still quite a bit of snow around! getting patchy but still around 60% left of the snow cover after 2 full days! impressed!

Edited by Craigers

Posted

i cant believe where i live theres still quite a bit of snow around! getting patchy but still around 60% left of the snow cover after 2 full days! impressed!

Morning Craig, Yes it's the same here mate. When the rain arrived, shortly after Sunday's snowfall, I thought most of the snow would have disappeared very quickly. But, like you, we have around half of it left. It's been quite cloudy at times, though, which has prevented the sun getting to work on it.

Posted

Still got some snow cover in and around Leeds from Sunday.

Cold wind blowing in from the NE / E

Watching the front coming up from the South I can't see it lasting more than a couple of hours unless it slows down

or stretches out !!!

Maybe a covering tonight but not much more I don't think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

Anybody know what time snow/sleet arrive in Chesterfield/N.Derbyshire area?

Posted

1600-1700 for 2-3 maybe 4 hours with some elevation then changing to rain before midnight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Took a trip up onto the Yorkshire wolds last night around thixendale/leavening, still plenty of snowcover with some lovely drifts across the roads, some a few feet deep, felt like a mini version of ice road truckers as they slam through the drifts :). Should be a decent top up tonight and will stay as snow up there when maybe it will turn to rain/sleet down here. Anyone living nearby to this area should definatly take a trip there, watching the sunset over the vale of york from garrowby hill is definatly worth the trip!

Posted

Heres my view on tonights event biggrin.gif

The band of snow should arrive in leeds at about 10/11pm tonight, quite patchy and light/moderate to start with but pepping up quite sharpishley at around 3am giving a further 3 hours of quite heavy snow http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100223/06/21/ukprec.png , before becoming lighter and turning more to sleet and rain at lower levels around 5/6 am..... Then through the day snow below 1000ft should begin to thaw, especially where sun comes out.. 1500ft+ should have no snow melt and the larger amounts of snow will also be found at the higher elevation you are...

Pennines/moors north yorkshire ideally located.

Heres my snowfall predictions:

North yorkshire/West yorkshire - low ground 3-8cm high 10-15cm

south yorkshire - 2-5cm

east yorkshire - 1-4cm

linconshire - 1-4cm

No accumulations near the coast and very little 20 miles of the coast.

Regarding friday onwards, looking quite interesting, more on that later! smile.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Heres my view on tonights event biggrin.gif

The band of snow should arrive in leeds at about 10/11pm tonight, quite patchy and light/moderate to start with but pepping up quite sharpishley at around 3am giving a further 3 hours of quite heavy snow http://charts.netwea...6/21/ukprec.png , before becoming lighter and turning more to sleet and rain at lower levels around 5/6 am..... Then through the day snow below 1000ft should begin to thaw, especially where sun comes out.. 1500ft+ should have no snow melt and the larger amounts of snow will also be found at the higher elevation you are...

Pennines/moors north yorkshire ideally located.

Heres my snowfall predictions:

North yorkshire/West yorkshire - low ground 3-8cm high 10-15cm

south yorkshire - 2-5cm

east yorkshire - 1-4cm

linconshire - 1-4cm

No accumulations near the coast and very little 20 miles of the coast.

Regarding friday onwards, looking quite interesting, more on that later! smile.gif

Hope you're right in some ways but wrong in others. I love the snow but the roads are a pain in the ..... from Pudsey - Otley.

Ive got to get to Otley in the morning to do a clinic at the WGHwallbash.gif

Posted

Hope you're right in some ways but wrong in others. I love the snow but the roads are a pain in the ..... from Pudsey - Otley.

Ive got to get to Otley in the morning to do a clinic at the WGHwallbash.gif

well once slightly milder air filters in any snow on main roads should quickly melt (obviously with aid of grit), you shouldnt have a problem :p

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Looking good for tonights event with maxima in the 1C to 4C range and the precipitation looking to arrive around 21:00 or 22:00 here, giving a few hours for temperatures to drop away here.

While there will be variations, i would say that if the temperature is below 0C in your location at around 19:00, then there is a good chance of a decent snow event.

In regards to the event itself the front seems quite a bit stronger and more orginised thatn progged, and also a smitchin further south, so with the MET going for 2-10cm, some places may exceed that.

Also, after looking at the data and forecasts, i am not convinced that all we will see is light snow with it turning to rain, radar image shows the band getting stronger and also vertical stacking taking place (getting wider north to south), so precipitation for longer and i can't see dew points rising above 0C before about 06:00 and by that time precipitation will be gone so the only rain likely is if it hangs about or weakens on its back edge.

Also, could be some fairly heavy snow around midnight as dew points across the region will still be around -2C, and also air temperature should be at or below 0C.

Current temperature here is 1C with a dew point of -2C..

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Going by the NW radar it looks as though the band will hit here in the next 3 - 4 hours max! Is the bands movement expected to slow down?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yeah, watching the RainToday radar it's already reached Cheshire, and is starting to fragment. It appears to clear any location in about 2-2.5 hours, so going by that I'd say that it'll arrive W. Yorkshire between 5.00 and 6.00 pm, and be passed through by 9.00 pm. And if it doesn't pep up then it's going to be patchy and not very heavy as well. In other words, not much to really get excited about.

Posted

It won't be long before the rain arrives here, and the conditions will make it an interesting match at Glanford Park tonight.

Posted

First flakes here...very light but definitely snow.

Temp at 1630 was back down to zero after a high today of just 1.5°C

Posted

It won't be long before the rain arrives here, and the conditions will make it an interesting match at Glanford Park tonight.

Very muched slowed down on the eastern flank, hardly moved at all in the last 10mins! Before that it was moving north at quite a pace, be interesting if this develops after a bit of a lull.

Posted

Looking forward to some decent snowfall tonight into tomorrow.

No mention of this "be prepared" warning

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting Northern Ireland and parts of northern England. There is the potential for heavy snow to give significant accumulations, especially over high ground. There is likely to be significant disruption to travel networks, particularly over higher level routes.

Snow will gradually turn back to rain from the south later on Wednesday.

West Yorkshire & North Yorkshire.

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just arrived here and the previous snow has survived so it'll be interesting how much falls.

Posted

Where???!!!

Posted

I'm expecting snow from 9PM till 8AM, perhaps a little sleet on the back edge, NAE supports this. Also in the south West the showers following behind the front have been falling as snow or a wintry mixture.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's been snowing steadily here for the last 40 minutes or so. Looking at the radar it doesn't suggest there'll be too much unless it either slows down or develops in intensity. Temp' is -0.9c so it' settling nicely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Just started snowing lightly here - a few flakes in the wind, which has also got up over that last 10mins or so. :winky:

Posted

I'm expecting snow from 9PM till 8AM, perhaps a little sleet on the back edge, NAE supports this. Also in the south West the showers following behind the front have been falling as snow or a wintry mixture.

What sort of intensity do you think we'll have mate? Looking at the current radar

it doesn't appear to be quite as potent as it was.

It's the name of my local football ground,although your probably just being sarcastic :winky:

I don't think he was being sarcastic mate, I was about to ask the same :D