Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

What sort of intensity do you think we'll have mate? Looking at the current radar

it doesn't appear to be quite as potent as it was.

Radar doesn't look great but I'm confident it will pep up, as it stands (if the radar doesn't change) light-moderate snow with some heavier bursts. GFS and NAE are going for the precipitation to get heavier, I'm guessing the other models will as well, so moderate snow with heavy bursts.

NAE looks good for our region, shows the heaviest stuff in the pennine chain/central areas which would support the met "be prepared warning".

post-8968-12669459131117_thumb.gifpost-8968-12669459238717_thumb.gifpost-8968-12669459330617_thumb.gif

Edited by 10123

Posted

Radar doesn't look great but I'm confident it will pep up, as it stands light-moderate snow with some heavier bursts. GFS and NAE are going for the precipitation to get heavier, I'm guessing the other models will as well.

NAE looks good for our region, shows the heaviest stuff in the pennine chain/central areas which would support the met be prepared warning.

post-8968-12669459131117_thumb.gifpost-8968-12669459238717_thumb.gifpost-8968-12669459330617_thumb.gif

Thanks :drunk: Temps down to 1.8c and falling, with a Dew point of -4c

Hopefully, there should be sufficient cold to play with when the precipitation arrives.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm expecting snow from 9PM till 8AM, perhaps a little sleet on the back edge, NAE supports this. Also in the south West the showers following behind the front have been falling as snow or a wintry mixture.

Doing simple maths and going by posts from sheffield and Huddersfield and the time posted, the band is moving north at around 20mph, and should be in Leeds in around an hours time, good news being that we are not seeing the drizzle expected to preceed the front so conditions are clearly the right side of marginal and with the air temperature below 0C in precipitation i expect heavy precipitation, NAE model seems to have this over the BBC ajusted forecast and GFS aside from precipitation being a little stronger than expected, but more likely that it will be over around 03:00.

Posted

Thanks smile.gif Temps down to 1.8c and falling, with a Dew point of -4c

Hopefully, there should be sufficient cold to play with when the precipitation arrives.

Temps falling here as well, currently 1.c with a DP of -1.1c.

Posted

more likely that it will be over around 03:00.

I think it will move really slowly as it reaches Yorkshire, I still think not leaving till 9Am, perhaps a little earlier.

may i ask what is your forecast is based on?

NAE, have found it to be slightly better than GFS.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Be Prepared issued now on met office for next few hours

Sleet and snow will become heavier as it spreads northwards tonight, gradually dying out during the first part of Wednesday morning. Temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cms of snow are expected locally at low levels, with accumulations of as much as 10 cms above 200 metres.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

North & West Yorkshire

Issued at: 1735 Tue 23 Feb

Edited by Snow Angel

Posted

Heres my view on tonights event biggrin.gif

The band of snow should arrive in leeds at about 10/11pm tonight, quite patchy and light/moderate to start with but pepping up quite sharpishley at around 3am giving a further 3 hours of quite heavy snow http://charts.netwea...6/21/ukprec.png , before becoming lighter and turning more to sleet and rain at lower levels around 5/6 am..... Then through the day snow below 1000ft should begin to thaw, especially where sun comes out.. 1500ft+ should have no snow melt and the larger amounts of snow will also be found at the higher elevation you are...

Pennines/moors north yorkshire ideally located.

Heres my snowfall predictions:

North yorkshire/West yorkshire - low ground 3-8cm high 10-15cm

south yorkshire - 2-5cm

east yorkshire - 1-4cm

linconshire - 1-4cm

No accumulations near the coast and very little 20 miles of the coast.

Regarding friday onwards, looking quite interesting, more on that later! smile.gif

EDit: snow should be 2/3 hours earlier than anticipated :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

very light patchy bits of snow in Chesterfield for over an hour. Not settled one bit. Going to miss us again. It's nearly always all around us, but not here. Why?

Posted

What sort of intensity do you think we'll have mate? Looking at the current radar

it doesn't appear to be quite as potent as it was.

I don't think he was being sarcastic mate, I was about to ask the same :lol:

oh I was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I'm expecting snow from 9PM till 8AM

Turning to rain at all levels from 2-3am onwards mate :lol: with only the NW staying onto reasonable dew points, isotherm etc.. And northern most parts of Yorkshire.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Turning to rain at all levels from 2-3am onwards mate smile.gif with only the NW staying onto reasonable dew points, isotherm etc.. And northern most parts of Yorkshire.

I think it is a case of wait and see, NAE shows snow throughout and so does the BBC graphics. I do think it will turn sleety for a time or perhaps a little rain before clearing. Meto put us in a "be prepared warning" for Wednesday with sever disruption expected and I doubt they would do it if it rains at 2am on wards. I'm guessing you are basing this on the GFS which I don't think is a very good model atm.

Edited by 10123

Posted

I think it is a case of wait and see, NAE shows snow throughout and so does the BBC graphics. I do think it will turn sleety for a time or perhaps a little rain before clearing. Meto put us in a "be prepared warning" for Wednesday with sever disruption expected and I doubt they would do it if it rains at 2am on wards. I'm guessing you are basing this on the GFS which I don't think is a very good model atm.

What's wrong with the GFS?

I made a forecast a few days ago about what will happen, and it's not changed an inch as the GFS has been consistant with regards tonight/tomorrows system.

If you look at the netweather extra radar, you'll see a lot of sleet showing on it, not that further South it's rain. I reckon they'll be a spoiler for a lot of areas tonight with the milder air pushing ahead of the front.

Let's see. They will be tempory accumulations at best away from Low ground.

10cm? na

Posted

Storm Force Lewis, on 23 February 2010 - 18:00 , said:

Turning to rain at all levels from 2-3am onwards mate with only the NW staying onto reasonable dew points, isotherm etc.. And northern most parts of Yorkshire.

I think it is a case of wait and see, NAE shows snow throughout and so does the BBC graphics. I do think it will turn sleety for a time or perhaps a little rain before clearing. Meto put us in a "be prepared warning" for Wednesday with sever disruption expected and I doubt they would do it if it rains at 2am on wards. I'm guessing you are basing this on the GFS which I don't think is very good.

Such apposing views!!!! will be interesting to see what happens

Edited by Snow Angel

Posted

I think you only have to look at the fact its still snowing here 4 to 5 hours after the first of it started falling. And most of us in the midlands thread were expecting snow for roughly an hour then turning to rain. Anywhere north of manchester could do alright. Scotland though have the band moving north stuck over them as snow for about 12 hours or more. could be loads up there by thursday.

Posted

Snowing here in Huddersfield, moderately, but expect heavier burst. Cant believe it will turn milder after, it's been pretty cold all day!....anyone know whats happened to the model thread?

Posted

bbc weather going for -1 for leeds at 8am!!??

Surely that cant happen, it should have turned to sleet or rain by then.

I certainly think its going to be a case of see what happens and now casting :lol:

Posted

Sorry to intrude!

Yesterdays snow down here, was best modeled by the NAE, which showed snow into Herts etc... while most other models and forecasts went for just rain through the wole event but it changed from rain to snow and stayed as snow till the PPN stopped.

Oh and it snowed down here today, quite heavy aswell so good luck to all of you!

Posted

Snowing here in Huddersfield, moderately, but expect heavier burst. Cant believe it will turn milder after, it's been pretty cold all day!....anyone know whats happened to the model thread?

Has it been snowing for long in Huddersfield? It has been showing over me for the last half an hour but nothing fa :excl: lling

Posted

bbc weather going for -1 for leeds at 8am!!??

Surely that cant happen, it should have turned to sleet or rain by then.

I certainly think its going to be a case of see what happens and now casting :excl:

I agree mate.

Anyhow here's a chart;

post-2644-12669497982217_thumb.png

Posted

Has it been snowing for long in Huddersfield? It has been showing over me for the last half an hour but nothing fa excl.gif lling

LoL!..sorry to hear that, but I'm sure it will reach you soon...it started here about half an hour ago and seems to be getting heavier!

Posted

woohoo small flakes in the wind! 100% snow which is good :excl:

I agree mate.

Anyhow here's a chart;

post-2644-12669497982217_thumb.png

Nice chart. I think you might be a few hours early though, maybe 5/6 am when it turns sleety..

Anyways im just guna enjoy the snow and not worry about it turning to sleet/rain :) Even places like glasgow will see sleet/snow melt over the coming days :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Bit of a none event here. Snow turned light already.