Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Welsh Mild Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

What a fail the weather forecast has been.

Last time I checked there was a strong storm heading over from the south.

It's bone dry and partly cloudy here and it looks like it's missed the UK except the SE of England.

Of course the forecast may have changed hours earlier but I haven't been here to check. whistling.gif

It was always gonna be difficult to exactly pin down how far north this storm was gonna go - the bbc actually had it right last night on their forecasts - and yourself in Chepstow were right on the north western edge of how far the low got into Wales - it could have been very different!!!!!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

It was always gonna be difficult to exactly pin down how far north this storm was gonna go - the bbc actually had it right last night on their forecasts - and yourself in Chepstow were right on the north western edge of how far the low got into Wales - it could have been very different!!!!!

It could've which just shows how quickly things can go right/wrong for us.

I didn't see the forecast last Night, I think it was Friday when I last checked and there was talk of flooding in the local area so alot of people were unknw.gif Today. :)

Posted

It could've which just shows how quickly things can go right/wrong for us.

I didn't see the forecast last Night, I think it was Friday when I last checked and there was talk of flooding in the local area so alot of people were unknw.gif Today. laugh.gif

Ali in Magor told me her son's football match was called off because it was waterlogged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

so relieved all this cold weather is abating. :)

for a snowy, or snowier than usual winter anyway, i have got off pretty lightly. managed to keep earning in the main.

oh well, as Spring descends on us (YES!!!!), I'll take my leave of you now, and rejoin you in late December again!

adios!

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Spring is on its way i think, wont be too long before plants etc come back to life as some are already. Been fairly mild last few days with lows of around 4C or 5C and highs of 9C to 13C. Friday was windy, yesterday and today seem to be cloudy and breezy with the odd bit of rain but fairly mild.

When do you think temps could be getting to the mid/high teens? last year it was from around mid/end of march here. same this year? im now looking foward to warmer weather as winter is just about over isn't it?

Posted

Spring is on its way i think, wont be too long before plants etc come back to life as some are already. Been fairly mild last few days with lows of around 4C or 5C and highs of 9C to 13C. Friday was windy, yesterday and today seem to be cloudy and breezy with the odd bit of rain but fairly mild.

When do you think temps could be getting to the mid/high teens? last year it was from around mid/end of march here. same this year? im now looking foward to warmer weather as winter is just about over isn't it?

Could go either way... 7th April 2008 we had snow, same time a year earlier we had a mini heatwave with temps in early 20C's.

Posted

don't expect too much until the beginning of April regarding temps but - the models are showing possibly lots of settled weather with a high pressure - so that will help to make the weather feel more pleasent

Posted

It's a lightning detector. Cost is upwards of £600, but gives you a computer map of storms for up to 300 miles away. If you want a good weather station, get a Davis Vantage Vue

with the datalogger. I have one they're brilliant.

Thanks - I'll look into that

Posted

Interesting countryfile forecaste pretty good chance ,of sleet snow thursday with a cold easterly wind with further snow friday.

Posted

GFS 18z - still showing a very snowy picture for Wales come wednesday night into all day thursday and into Friday - if it comes off it'll be a snowfest folkscold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Whats the latest on this Andy - are we still on for one more snow event before Spring comes in. Took my daughter out learning to drive tonight and there were gritters out on the road up here near Penallta.

Must say -personally not too optimistic but whatever this has been one of the best *(ie most seasonal) winters we've had in a long time

Out of interest - did anyone read about the huge block of ice sheared from the Antartic Ice shelf - the commentator reckons it could potentially have an effect on our winters for years to come. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/26/antarctica-iceberg-global-ocean-circulation

Posted

Whats the latest on this Andy - are we still on for one more snow event before Spring comes in. Took my daughter out learning to drive tonight and there were gritters out on the road up here near Penallta.

Must say -personally not too optimistic but whatever this has been one of the best *(ie most seasonal) winters we've had in a long time

Out of interest - did anyone read about the huge block of ice sheared from the Antartic Ice shelf - the commentator reckons it could potentially have an effect on our winters for years to come. http://www.guardian....ean-circulation

It's possiblle Steve - will need to look st the next two model runs to confirm - but there is back up for this from accuweather's forecasts and from today's country tracks weekly forecast - it will come down to how close the high pressure comes to sit right over the UK, if it sits to the north of us then we stand a good chance, if it camps right over us then it will choke all the precip, so it will be dry but cold. That's an interesting article there Steve - I did see the news headline about it also - kind of ties in with that film "Day after tomorrow" lots of fresh water diluting the salt water chnging the earth's climate - certainly very interesting

Posted

Countryfile had hp over scotland with a lp moving in off the n sea looks promising.

Nice one Keith - haven't had a chance to see that this evening - I think we got a good chance of a little more wintry weather this week and possibly beyond that

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Must be right andy your buddy dan the man corbet(whos spent to long under the sun bed looked like burnt toast)had snow pushing down central uk with a brisk cold wind.Only saying to jack one vary rare not to have snow first week of march.

Edited by keithlucky

Disappointing model runs this evening starting to downgrade the cold and snowy weather towards next weekend.

The best for snowy weather is the UKMO tonight, with the GFS looking very disappointing.

ECM somewhere in between.

Posted

Yes I saw the forecast, the HP over atlantic moves north and eventually descends towards the UK over Scotland when the LP sinks south. This drags easterly winds over us.

Posted

Disappointing model runs this evening starting to downgrade the cold and snowy weather towards next weekend.

The best for snowy weather is the UKMO tonight, with the GFS looking very disappointing.

ECM somewhere in between.

Must be the UKMO and ECM that the BBC are using right now for their weekly forecasts today - GFS might still bounce back mind - has done before!

Posted

^ Yup, the BBC seemed quite confused because they had snow on the charts with temps around 7-8c.

Posted

^ Yup, the BBC seemed quite confused because they had snow on the charts with temps around 7-8c.

anything past 3 days they cover all possiblities

Posted

anything past 3 days they cover all possiblities

Evening Andy how's it been in Wales, a very nice day here in Cornwall ...the wind has been a little fresh.

Milder temps ahead for us unless it all changes..will have to see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Is it me or is this year just going really fast? I can't believe its March from tomorrow already, wont be too long before next winter is here at this rate! lol

Posted

Evening Andy how's it been in Wales, a very nice day here in Cornwall ...the wind has been a little fresh.

Milder temps ahead for us unless it all changes..will have to see what happens.

not really gonna be mild at night - plenty of -2s this week I think - we'll see later on the 18z if that HP is gonna play ball and let the snow in

Is it me or is this year just going really fast? I can't believe its March from tomorrow already, wont be too long before next winter is here at this rate! lol

I think it's probably because we've had what's felt like a long arduous winter - I also think as you get older time just quickens anyway!

Makes the here and now even more important

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

The weather outlook released their spring forecast today and they're suggesting a very cold and snowy snap at the beginning of April :D

Posted

The weather outlook released their spring forecast today and they're suggesting a very cold and snowy snap at the beginning of April ohmy.gif

amazing - mystery how they can put so much detail on the forecast at such distance away from it - we'll just have to see - a good guess- complete miss - or good science

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

amazing - mystery how they can put so much detail on the forecast at such distance away from it - we'll just have to see - a good guess- complete miss - or good science

yeah I know what you mean lol. But they do seem to be quite accurate. They predicted the last two cold winters and they said last summer would be wet at the same time met office said barbecues at the ready. Anyway, I hope everyone has a brilliant St Davids day tomorrow =) I certainly wont with courseworks at school and the dentist.