Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted

Good to hear. Is it heavy?

It was quite light though getting slightly heavier on a brisk Easterly wind (what is this wind thing?). Flakes should be with you soon if they are not already.:)

Posted

Thanks you guys, may as well give you an update on what is going on here.

By the looks of it 5-8cm of fresh snow, snow plough has wiped the snow on the road, and literally 30 seconds later the road is covered again. I live on a busy road so there Will be disruption in the Leeds area. Snow is moderate to heavy and is swirling around in the easterly wind. Temperatures are marginal at -0.3c but there are reports of lying snow at 100M in Leeds.

So basically you guys will do really well as it should have turned to rain by now if the GFS was correct and I doubt it will be too marginal.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Cheers WhiteXmas, (reminds me of the £300 bet I won this year, thanks to the GFS).

the A692 outside my door white again (looks like councils not getting advice from the right resources as usual or using sparing handfulls)

so glad I am off next two days, perfect dog walking weather as the white stuff is self cleaning and could well stick around if this continuous dumping carries on till morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I might be wrong, or I hope i'm wrong, but the latest Northbound and Southbound camera's at Dunblane just north of Stirling look like a crash incident... Southbound has a truck on the far left, Northbound has (what looks like) a gritter with a car crashing into the side of it? I do hope i'm interpreting the images wrong.

:) you are right. I hope they are ok. On the other camera I think a lorry has over turned onto the embankment

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted

Thanks you guys, may as well give you an update on what is going on here.

By the looks of it 5-8cm of fresh snow, snow plough has wiped the snow on the road, and literally 30 seconds later the road is covered again. I live on a busy road so there Will be disruption in the Leeds area. Snow is moderate to heavy and is swirling around in the easterly wind. Temperatures are marginal at -0.3c but there are reports of lying snow at 100M in Leeds.

So basically you guys will do really well as it should have turned to rain by now if the GFS was correct and I doubt it will be too marginal.

nothing marginal about -0.3 mate :) Cheers

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Not sure. But i can see a ghost on the Carter Bar camera !

I might be wrong, or I hope i'm wrong, but the latest Northbound and Southbound camera's at Dunblane just north of Stirling look like a crash incident... Southbound has a truck on the far left, Northbound has (what looks like) a gritter with a car crashing into the side of it? I do hope i'm interpreting the images wrong.

Posted

The pictures have just updated and nothing moved. A few more cars on the northbound camera. Dang. The lorry on the Southbound looks like it tipped over, and the car that crashed into the gritting truck might have taken a blow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

The pictures have just updated and nothing moved. A few more cars on the northbound camera. Dang. The lorry on the Southbound looks like it tipped over, and the car that crashed into the gritting truck might have taken a blow.

I hate to say it but that looks a bad, bad accident.

Updated and can't see much changed but snow is much heavier. Driver of the gritter is obviously out of the vehicle.

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Aye, looks like the gritter has turned a right onto incoming, blooming gritters, hope everyone ok

(and someone remembers to send out replacement gritter looking at weather turning bad up there, before more accidents occur.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Temperature stopped rising at 2.6C and dewpoint is 0.2C and lowering with some heavy precipitation falling according to the radar!

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

It's the final countdown! Do do doo doo! Do do do do doo!

Dont get your friggen hopes up i was told 4 inches and all its doing here and has been doing here all night was snow the tootsiest snow flakes all night... and its only doing it because i want snow.diablo.gif

Posted

Boooo! It's very wet snow, we have a partial dusting but looks slushy and we are already on the back edge of the front and its only 5am! No idea if we had more and its melted...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Lol, stuck in the middle of two bands of snow! It's bound to start again sometime..

Posted

It was blizzard conditions on the M80 betwixt Stirling and Glasgow - but being wet snow, didn't really do much except make my car wet and the roads mucky.

If that was it, then for all the love in Toorpendom, where's my toys.

:)

Posted

http://expert.weathe...022412_2400.gif

The main band is hitting in the next 6-12 hours

edit: Back on here now. Oddly we're at 1.6C so now less marginal than all the better placed locations last night!

And with full snow cover! Brilliant!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Gah! Hardly any snow in Glasgow but by the looks of the live webcam Inverness has lying snow already! :)

Posted

It's northgraded, so to speak, and eastgraded a little also.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

http://expert.weathe...022412_2400.gif

The main band is hitting in the next 6-12 hours

edit: Back on here now. Oddly we're at 1.6C so now less marginal than all the better placed locations last night!

And with full snow cover! Brilliant!

Meto rainfall shows it here now ? Still more to come, but I can't see it being the snowfest we all hoped for.

Posted

Meto rainfall shows it here now ? Still more to come, but I can't see it being the snowfest we all hoped for.

The main band is just about to hit here and we've already got a cm or two base, so I think we should see at least an inch or two. Any reports from west Fife?

Gah! Hardly any snow in Glasgow but by the looks of the live webcam Inverness has lying snow already! :)

We've got a thick covering out here in Kilmacolm and it's snowing pretty heavily at the moment. Glasgow is always rubbish for snow! Roughly where are you in Glasgow? I used to live in Newlands and Shawlands (at various different times) and it was utter pish for snow there :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift