Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Bit of a damp raw let down in Leith. Some very minor accumulatopn on a few favoured cold durfaces (local kids park, sheltered back gardens) but streets, pavements, cars, roofs basically wet. Its just not heavy enough .. can just about make out the fife coast, an indication that it could snow at this rate for hours but actually accumulate little or nothing.

No obvious general intensification on the radar.. so looks like height and inland-ness might be the only way for a few lucky ones to rack up a few inches.

Oh well...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Surprisingly there is no weather warning for the Highlands on Traffic Scotland and no routes affected by the weather? Looking out the windows tells me something very different.

I must apologise as the area that might see the heavier more persistant snow & colder temps seems slightly further N than I thought yesterday. Looking at the fax charts and the NAE it seems locations such as Glasgow/Edinburgh remain on the edge of snow/rain. The temps in this region won't see anything higher than around 1C so alternating spells of rain/snow seem likely although this will turn more to snow as the front starts to back S.

At the moment I would say anyone N of Dundee are likely to see temps around or just below freezing throughout the next few days with further spells of snow. The snow depths could reach over 30cm in some areas.

If I had the opportunity I would love to stay in Inverness this week. This area could see very heavy falls. Im ashamed to say i've never been to Scotland and maybe next winter I may treat myself to a short holiday if heavy snow is predicted.

You'll need to ask around and get a few nights each staying with a few of the Scottish members on here; hey presto, free holiday :wallbash:

Edit: Walk to school time and it's going to be a good one. Later all!! :wallbash:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Surprisingly there is no weather warning for the Highlands on Traffic Scotland and no routes affected by the weather? Looking out the windows tells me something very different.

Agreed Stormy, no sign of any warning at all from the Meto. I would say we have nearer 5 inches snow with heavy very fine snow now coming down.

I was under the impression we may get a dusting this afternoon but most of the precipitation was for the central belt.

Just been looking at the ensembles for this area and they are showing heavy snow again for the 26th!!

post-2738-12669999680717_thumb.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Never noticed we had a Glen Strathfarrer until now! hello! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Hello :wallbash: You`ve been missing out! Beautiful part of the world and gateway to Glen Affric. ( and very white at the moment :wallbash: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

0.5 C here and whiteout. 2-3cm down. Lots of prep still to come. Will it continue as snow??

Hmm. Need to go to work as I have a meeting today with patent officers (for my off peak wind turbine blowing the snow in preferred directions invention biggrin.gif ). Ok, thinking I'll give it a go. Snowchains are in the boot anyway.

Posted

The M77 was a complete nightmare this morning! Cars littered all over the hard shoulder and in the fields next to it! You could barely even see the cars which were in tje fields with hazard lights only just visible through the blizzard and drifting snow! A good 2 - 3 inches of snow settled on the road. Here in Edinburger it's snowing heavily. Kilmarnock now has snow settling to a few inches apparently.

Posted

Bit of a damp raw let down in Leith. Some very minor accumulatopn on a few favoured cold durfaces (local kids park, sheltered back gardens) but streets, pavements, cars, roofs basically wet. Its just not heavy enough .. can just about make out the fife coast, an indication that it could snow at this rate for hours but actually accumulate little or nothing.

No obvious general intensification on the radar.. so looks like height and inland-ness might be the only way for a few lucky ones to rack up a few inches.

Oh well...

It must be so marginal because even here in Duddinsgton its turned heavier and we have lying snow now and you can see the snow in town

http://www.camvista.com/scotland/edinburgh/royalmile.php

Posted

Took the table pic 30 minutes ago and the second pic taken 5 minutes ago!!! No sign of let up!!

Agreed the Glen Affric and Glen Strathfarrar are beautiful areas and will look stunning to day.

Finally a "Be prepared" warning from Met Office

Heavy Snow 1100 Wed 24 2359 Wed 24 Snow showers turning to more general outbreaks of snow today will be heavy at times giving accumulations 10 to 15cm in places especially over higher ground. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 0837 Wed 24 Feb

post-2738-12670014737317_thumb.jpeg

post-2738-12670014937117_thumb.jpeg

Posted

Proper stuff here in Dalry, Edinburgh.

<p>

Heavy horizontal snow settling on all surfaces on a strong easterly.

<p>

Woop woop.

Posted

Took the table pic 30 minutes ago and the second pic taken 5 minutes ago!!! No sign of let up!!

Agreed the Glen Affric and Glen Strathfarrar are beautiful areas and will look stunning to day.

Very nice pics and the main area of snow hasn't even reached you yet!

Synoptically speaking what Scotland is about to experience couldn't really get any better. Even those who are having marginal snowfall will see this turn more readily to snow over the next 48hrs as the front moves back S. The warnings of 15cm are conservative to say the least and I wouldn't be surprised if Inverness experience well over 30cm before the front moves S.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just back from school and heavy blowing snow starting to accumulate a little, not much impact on road surfaces yet. but everything else good covering of 1cm or so now.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

So, being here in Glasgow, and to drive back to Stirling at 2pm - what's the outlook ? Is Stirling M80 corridor too marginal to see the proper snow ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Synoptically speaking what Scotland is about to experience couldn't really get any better. Even those who are having marginal snowfall will see this turn more readily to snow over the next 48hrs as the front moves back S. The warnings of 15cm are conservative to say the least and I wouldn't be surprised if Inverness experience well over 30cm before the front moves S.

That is quite something, i never thought that this would be as potent.

Not anything to write home about here yet but then as you say we have still more to come in the next 48hrs.

great to have your info.

Posted

I'm heading home to goold old Sneck tomorrow night, looking forward to it now! :acute:

Hello :acute: You`ve been missing out! Beautiful part of the world and gateway to Glen Affric. ( and very white at the moment :D )

I visit it often in summer, love how the Highlands has such a contrast between the steep peaks of the west, the machair and beaches of the isles, the bleak landscape of Sutherland, but my favourite is probably the mountainous forest area in which you live :good:

Are you a native or a white settler (which is a joke, obviously :lol:)

Edited by NorthernRab

A good covering now. Got to the primary school to be told by the secretary that the school was open but that the kids could go home if they wanted. She said they couldn't be sure that we wouldn't get a phone call later to go and get them, but that if we needed the kids to go in (e.g. for parents who worked) then that was fine. I felt really sorry for the kids (with working parents) who were getting sent it, the majority of the kids had a parent/carer who wasn't working. There was much euphoria and celebration :acute:

Edit: We were one of the few parent/kids walking to school in the snow, the traffic was horrendous through the village with all the parents using their cars. BoyCatch was ecstatic that he wasn't stuck in a car. We had a great time doing huge doughnuts in the pub car park with ToddlerCatch's pram :acute:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

So, being here in Glasgow, and to drive back to Stirling at 2pm - what's the outlook ? Is Stirling M80 corridor too marginal to see the proper snow ?

As you can see heavier bursts of snow now in Glasgow city centre but not lying yet. Just outside Glasgow (M80 at Bishopbriggs) heavy snow for a while with side roads getting a bit dodgy although main roads were still clear about an hour ago.

Posted

A good covering now. Got to the primary school to be told by the secretary that the school was open but that the kids could go home if they wanted. She said they couldn't be sure that we wouldn't get a phone call later to go and get them, but that if we needed the kids to go in (e.g. for parents who worked) then that was fine. I felt really sorry for the kids (with working parents) who were getting sent it, the majority of the kids had a parent/carer who wasn't working. There was much euphoria and celebration :acute:

Edit: We were one of the few parent/kids walking to school in the snow, the traffic was horrendous through the village with all the parents using their cars. BoyCatch was ecstatic that he wasn't stuck in a car. We had a great time doing huge doughnuts in the pub car park with ToddlerCatch's pram :acute:

OK I've resisted for months but here it goes: Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Kilmacolm!!! :lol:

I'm hoping you've seen what I'm talking about? :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hmmm... shan't be going far today. Already got about 4cm settled at sea level and the forecast is horrendous. Those schools that aren't shut already may be regretting it later.

However, I still think this will become sleet or even rain at low levels, especially tomorrow night into Friday before the cold heads back south. Flooding might be a problem for a short while before we return to the freezer on Saturday.

Posted

No sure how much snow will be around at 2pm, but just come doon the matey and it was starting to settle everywhere. Bin lorry overturned near Auchinkilns so up to M73 not a single car besides me.

Could see Cumbernauld getting quite a bit up in the town, when I left home a good inch on the ground already and blowing a hoolie as they say.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Heavy snow for tomorrow and Friday now forecast for Inverness :acute:

Edited by NorthernRab