Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Ahhh, see Catch I am all knowing and all seeing :wallbash:

And you clearly aren't poor if you live in "ooooooooooooooo Kilmacolm!!!" :D

Script taken from Daily Record:

A man was released from custody today after an inquest into a series of Grand theft auto cases.

The grounds for release were described by Chief Inspector Ross Halford:

" Well, he was from Kilmacolm".

:wallbash:

The thing about it the whole "I'm from Kilmacolm" thing is that there is a certain element of truth to it. Maybe not explicit to do with Kilmacolm, but I do think if you're "richer" you would get an easier ride in court, etc.

We are poor in money terms though, despite living in Kilmacolm, we are so skint we get milk tokens!!

Another wee hour or two of this and I will be talking about the snow of 24th Feb 2010 for years to come. Saddest part of that is we've got 2 inches at best, 3 if you use the Telford scale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Made an attempt to get to work. A68 was a whiter shade of brown at Lauder, never mind Soutra, with some drifts trying to develop. With the wee one in the back, I decided it wasn't worth it and crawled home. Accident waiting to happen out there.

Guess I'll just have to sit here and watch the radar biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Ok, ok I know you are jealous neighbours of the Granite CITY :D So just for today you can be a city too :wallbash:

We're 100 miles away from Aberdeen, nothing to do with those Lowlanders :rofl:

:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Agreed........another virutal slap from me :D:wallbash::wallbash:

Slap me too then.... it's gonna be torrential around inverness at low levels (up to maybe 200m) on Friday. Yuk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

The thing about it the whole "I'm from Kilmacolm" thing is that there is a certain element of truth to it. Maybe not explicit to do with Kilmacolm, but I do think if you're "richer" you would get an easier ride in court, etc.

We are poor in money terms though, despite living in Kilmacolm, we are so skint we get milk tokens!!

Another wee hour or two of this and I will be talking about the snow of 24th Feb 2010 for years to come. Saddest part of that is we've got 2 inches at best, 3 if you use the Telford scale.

It looks like there are many, many hours still to go for snow and whether it is to get any heavier than is currently falling I don't know and it is probably incredibly difficult to forecast it even a couple of hours out just now. I think the real pasting could be when the front about turns and moves south again.

Posted

Looks as though the front is now on a go slow and will hold on around angus,north dundee and forfar areas.

Iam about 10miles from the coast and higher up we have about 4-5cms and snowing with heavy bursts on and off.ithink i am right on the edge of it snowing all day or a slight milder interlude. Heavy now though.

Posted

I'm in Cathcart. There's a slight settling on the grass but even then not much. Just seems to making everywhere wet. unsure.gif

Just goes to show the difference a few miles can make..its almost white-out conditions here and some pretty impressive drifts in the strong winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Blimey, if this stays as snow! post-1989-12670065672117_thumb.png

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

METAR for Glasgow Airport:

EGPF 240950Z 07015KT 3400 +SN FEW007 BKN010 01/00 Q0992 =

Not often you see +SN and no need to say what that means :D

from http://wxweb.meteostar.com/cgi-bin/metartafsearch/both.cgi?choice=egpf&Hours=0&submit.x=10&submit.y=13

I'm ashamed to say that I can't make that out :wallbash: and I'm supposed to be a Uni student :wallbash: Is it saying 34 hours more of snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Slap me too then.... it's gonna be torrential around inverness at low levels (up to maybe 200m) on Friday. Yuk.

You think? Temps and dew points look on the right side of marginal?

Posted

Blimey, it this stays are snow! post-1989-12670065672117_thumb.png

:wallbash: blitzen...calm down and tell us what you are trying to say. Just kidding but that was pretty funny to read :D I could just imagine you hammering away rapidly on your keyboard upon viewing that chart!

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

What are the depths like in Glasgow? I have a friend in Glasgow and by the looks of the models it could snow up in Scotland for the next 36 hours straight :wallbash::D:wallbash:

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

:wallbash: blitzen...calm down and tell us what you are trying to say. Just kidding but that was pretty funny to read :D I could just imagine you hammering away rapidly on your keyboard upon viewing that chart!

I can't believe I typed that! :wallbash: Sorted now!

Posted

What are the depths like in Glasgow? I have a friend in Glasgow and by the looks of the models it could snow up in Scotland for the next 36 hours straight :wallbash::D:wallbash:

Hi Andy,

It is very widely variable. Everyone seems to have differing levels of snow however I would say the average at the moment is a few cm's and that will no doubt increase greatly in the hours to arrive.

Posted

Oh and its my daughters 12th Birthday today. She hates snow and was not impressed with what she saw this am. She is not one who enjoys the cold. I wished for snow when i blew out my candles on Sunday so she is blaming me :D

I'm ashamed to say that I can't make that out :wallbash: and I'm supposed to be a Uni student :D Is it saying 34 hours more of snow?

The 3400 is the visibility of 3,400m (I think).

+SN is heavy snow.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

My god,

It must be snawin or something whistling.gif

Ah cannae believe how many pages I have had to read through to catch up on the latest biggrin.gif

A fair bit of snow clearing to get in to the car this morning, I would guess about 3.5" at 7.30am good.gif

A tricky drive down in to Dunfermline as it was also quite icy underneath the snow and starting to drift in the wind.cold.gif

Down to Rosyth heading for the Bridge and it was Green and wet, nae snaw, nuthin, ziltchoops.gif

Poor b*****s help.gif

Big Innes

Posted

What are the depths like in Glasgow? I have a friend in Glasgow and by the looks of the models it could snow up in Scotland for the next 36 hours straight mellow.gifmellow.gifmellow.gif

Hi Andy..we have about 3-4" of lying snow here..hard to tell with all the drifting going on..but some of the drifts are at least a foot or more.

Posted

A rain/snow mix here in St Andrews with temperature at 2c dew point 1c. The surrounding hills (above 150m ish) look nice and white.

Posted

The 3400 is the visibility of 3,400m (I think).

+SN is heavy snow.

Ahhh I see :D. 34 hours of snow is more exciting though so let's delude ourselves! :wallbash:

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hi Andy,

It is very widely variable. Everyone seems to have differing levels of snow however I would say the average at the moment is a few cm's and that will no doubt increase greatly in the hours to arrive.

Thanks :wallbash: I can't believe how much snow you guys are going to get! The radar has stalled and it looks like the snow will be just continious for 2 days straight. That is some serious accumilations. I'm surprised more hasn't been made out of this on the news and things. I reckon at least 25cm widely in many parts of Scotland by tomorrow night.

Hi Andy..we have about 3-4" of lying snow here..hard to tell with all the drifting going on..but some of the drifts are at least a foot or more.