Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunday's Low

major

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Hi Tamara well its very windy here but nothing too bad at the moment, fingers crossed it stays that way! It looks terrible further north. Its been really stressful the last few days knowing that an eastwards correction by the models of that storm would have probably meant some extreme winds here, the strongest winds look likely here in the next few hours, I'm counting down the hours as by midnight the worst should be over here.

Yes, hopefully you will be celebrate a reprieve with a very large drink later this evening nick! It will just be a relief to be able to think about everyday things again without this sort of worry playing on your mind.

I will be glad and relieved when this passes too - relative to what central/northern parts of France are facing, like you I am touching wood everything goes as predicted here in the SE UK too!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Precip shield heading towards the channel now with the first fingers of the rain already reaching southern areas, had some light rain in the last hour down here in Chichester. The rain doesn't seem too heavy right now but will be interesting to see just how strong the front is when it arrives, the models do prog it to be quite potent in the channel so will be interesting to see what happens.

Posted

From the latest shipping forecast gale warnings:

Biscay, issued on Saturday 27 February 2010 at 1557

Easterly gale force 8 veering westerly and increasing hurricane force 12 imminent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

im about 15 miles from the coast, nothing here yet! still and calm.

The Meto flash warning for the South coast comes into effect at midnight so I wouldn't expect anything for a while yet. My guess it will start raining in the next hour or so and then gradually get heavier and the wind stronger.

Posted

Not a breath of wind here on the central South Coast at the moment, very quiet and very odd. Could this be the lull before the storm?

Delurking after many months with a 'Hi' and 'thank you' to all you knowledgeable folk who have informed my very amateur interest in all things weather. smile.gif I agree, Kent. I'm in Torbay and it is weirdly still this evening. I recall a really windy (slight understatement!) afternoon in autumn 2000 and prior to that the morning had been unusually still. I am watching the low progress on the satellite images with interest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Not a breath of wind here on the central South Coast at the moment, very quiet and very odd. Could this be the lull before the storm?

Hi Kent,

I thought the very same thing - been outside and everything is very calm and still.............. my nan lives on the seafront at Hayling Island and the beach is literally at the end of her back garden, she's all prepared just in case but said she loves watching big waves coming over the top of the wall, yikes! ph34r.gif

Posted

Hi Kent,

I thought the very same thing - been outside and everything is very calm and still.............. my nan lives on the seafront at Hayling Island and the beach is literally at the end of her back garden, she's all prepared just in case but said she loves watching big waves coming over the top of the wall, yikes! ph34r.gif

Hi Sibs, hope she stays safe. Id say the rain will be there within the hour and with it the wind which will increase especially as the rain becomes heavier. Looks like we are in for a very wet and windy night.

Posted

Turned eerily quiet here but further south into the Pyrenees some very strong winds with apparently 147kmh an hour gust near the main link between France and Spain at the Col De Somport, temperature readings very bizarre, here 24c! 20km away 12c in Pau! Biarritz 22c, must be a very localized foehn effect. I think the Cold front is about to come through and I think some very strong winds imminent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi Sibs, hope she stays safe. Id say the rain will be there within the hour and with it the wind which will increase especially as the rain becomes heavier. Looks like we are in for a very wet and windy night.

Thanks Kent - the last storm we had she was busy taking photos bless her! Just got both my cats in as I can see some rain heading towards us already on the radar like you say. They've been busy bringing in frogs and toads this week with all the rain so I don't want anymore tonight! They don't hurt them but it's disconcerting having them hopping everywhere!!

I'm not sure that the wind will be anything stronger than we're used to though but if it is I may venture down to the seafront to have a look at the waves myself! rolleyes.gif

Posted

Very fine rain here in Brighton but as a few have said it is very still and calm outside,i hope it is not bad as my Nan is very ill in hospital and it is so close to the seafrontcray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi Kent,

Hi Slb,

I love Hayling Island for it's birdwatching but I would not want to be there tonight and tomorrow. Hope Nanny stays safe.

Will surely be an unusual storm synoptically and I hope this thread keeps us glued to our screens with the posts coming thick and fast.

Take Care

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted

Very fine rain here in Brighton but as a few have said it is very still and calm outside,i hope it is not bad as my Nan is very ill in hospital and it is so close to the seafrontcray.gif

Sorry to hear that, hope she's ok. Try not to worry too much, my cousin works in our local hospital and she says that very good contingency/emergency plans are always put in place for possible severe events. They sent a 4x4 to take her to work in all the snow we had!

Posted

Hi Slb,

I love Hayling Island for it's birdwatching but I would not want to be there tonight and tomorrow. Hope Nanny stays safe.

Will surely be an unusual storm synoptically and I hope this thread keeps us glued to our screens with the posts coming thick and fast.

Take Care

STORMBOY

Hi Stormboy,

Thanks for that, she's recovering from shingles at the moment too so hopefully she'll be ok. Luckily she hasn't had any problems with flooding previously but my cousin who lives about half a mile from her had her house flooded when the sea came over in the high spring tides about 4 years ago.

They are lucky to have seaviews but can be a bit dodgy in storms! Just started to rain here, my other half's gone to get a curry so hope he doesn't get too wet!

Take care

Posted

very heavy here in morden been going for about a hour now maybe the outer bands approaching the river at the back off me is already over flowing so dont look good here. hopefully this will all be over hyped drains also has took a pounding over the last 5 days.

Posted

It would seem our problems coming from this storm pale into insignificance compared to the massive earthquake that has hit Chile and the possibility of Tsunamies all over the south Pacific.

Posted

Sorry to hear that, hope she's ok. Try not to worry too much, my cousin works in our local hospital and she says that very good contingency/emergency plans are always put in place for possible severe events. They sent a 4x4 to take her to work in all the snow we had!

Thanks Slb for the reassurance,she is just so confused and very ill that it does worry me how she may react to a storm she hates storms and i feel so useless,but hopefully it wont be too bad and she may not know its happening anywaydrinks.gif

Posted

It would seem our problems coming from this storm pale into insignificance compared to the massive earthquake that has hit Chile and the possibility of Tsunamies all over the south Pacific.

I know, sobering thoughts indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Indeed. But hoping not to be a harbinger of doom, flooding could well become a very serious problem alongside the added complication, the high tides will undoubtably cause. I'm to believe it will be the extreme southeast where the layout of the land and sea could well cause a rising of the tides even further but then again I'm no expert so I'm guessing.

Here's hoping we have some action to savour, but with no loss of life.

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted

Could anyone tell me if I'm looking at the right buoy for this LP system at the moment? :lol: I'm probably miles off but just wanted to double check..

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=62001&unit=M&tz=GMT

plot_metphp.png

Posted

I find XCWeather useful in tracking this low in Spain and France,

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ES/observations

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/FR/observations

- the French view also includes the south coast of England.

According to the pressure overlay the centre of the low is just north of Asturias.

Could anyone tell me if I'm looking at the right buoy for this LP system at the moment? :lol: I'm probably miles off but just wanted to double check..

Yes the Gascogne Buoy is quite close to the centre.

Edited by galba

Posted

Yes the Gascogne Buoy is quite close to the centre.

Thanks for that just wanted to check. Thanks for them links also will come in handy over the next few hours I'm sure!