Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It was very interesting here on Friday with meltwater all travelling on the surface because of the frozen ground, good job we are at the top of the hill. In the meantime since Friday I have a bad virus which the family passed on last week, so young Northernlights has been feeding the cattle this weekend. The laptop died on Friday evening but we managed to get new a one on Saturday at our local supplier and he had it ready for us on Saturday afternoon and then this morning the cart had a puncture just to round off a great weekend. Ground frost this morning lots of frozen ground still and patches of snow in all the sheltered spots, lovely sunny day otherwiseand 7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Was up Cairngorm for a ski yesterday and what conditions we have!!! Absolutely beautiful, better than all my trips to France and Italy. Very sore due to lots of trips down the White Lady and the Gullies but so worth it! Coire an T-Sneachda was looking stunning, as was Fiacall a' Choire Clais!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I hope you feel better soon Snowy :) :)

We visited New Lanark but couldn't make it up to the falls of Clyde as the footpath was flooded with the Clyde in full spate. It was August 2008 when we went...

New Lanark itself is well worth a visit though, I found it a very interesting place, but then I'm interested by these things. BoyCatch liked it but I'm not sure MrsCatch was convinced...

Thanks Catch, wee one had a relapse last night and was sick all over herself, bed, wall etc early hours of last night and now eldest has the cough of the century from nowhere! aghhh. well at least we get it all over in one go eh!

Might well try New Lanark then sounds interesting, and if we could do the falls of clyde too that would be great.

Weather is lovely though isn't it , longer light, dry settled days - great - even managed to hang the mounds of washing out today!lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thanks Catch, wee one had a relapse last night and was sick all over herself, bed, wall etc early hours of last night and now eldest has the cough of the century from nowhere! aghhh. well at least we get it all over in one go eh!

Might well try New Lanark then sounds interesting, and if we could do the falls of clyde too that would be great.

Weather is lovely though isn't it , longer light, dry settled days - great - even managed to hang the mounds of washing out today!lol!

New Lanark is really good for a short break and you don't really need to move about too far. We went last April for an overnight stay at the hotel and thought it was brilliant. It's interesting and has a pretty good educational value about Robert Owen and the mills - and that's coming from an easily bored adolescent!

Anyway, back to the weather, and I feel the beeb is overdoing the cloud for the next few days - I just don't see enough of an inward flow to get any cloud other that the minimal amount forming off the land http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100307/12/42/h500slp.png http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100307/12/42/ukwind.png

LS

Posted

Evening all, been another corker of a day, although temp only reached 7C, now 0.9C.

Few snaps of the snaw still surviving at Palacerigg.

post-2849-12679933464255_thumb.jpg

post-2849-12679933607655_thumb.jpg

post-2849-12679933758555_thumb.jpg

post-2849-12679933976355_thumb.jpg

Posted

Currently -2c here with ground quite hard again especially in areas where frost is still in the ground. Had to get the knackery to remove a dead roe deer from beside the farm buildings at the weekend which had died in spite of eating turnips in the field(10%eaten by hares and deer) nearby. I think it died of starvation, not a balenced enough diet.This has been a very hard winter for all wildlife. As for sowing spring crops well my April prediction still looks safe.

Fingers crossed but we haven't had a sick explosion for a few months now. It will come though. Last time BoyCatch managed to puke over the bedroom, the hall, the bathroom, him and me...

Anyway......-5C the lowest overnight at Glasgow Airport, currently -3C at Bishopton and -4C at the airport. Either way it is going to be a cold and crunchy walk to school. I'm hoping most of the snow is off the pavements now although there is enough left for another Met-O snow day. That's 13 in a row now, and a full week of snow in "spring".

Posted

Currently -2c here with ground quite hard again especially in areas where frost is still in the ground. Had to get the knackery to remove a dead roe deer from beside the farm buildings at the weekend which had died in spite of eating turnips in the field(10%eaten by hares and deer) nearby. I think it died of starvation, not a balenced enough diet.This has been a very hard winter for all wildlife. As for sowing spring crops well my April prediction still looks safe.

Such a shame for these animals, they really have suffered this year. I was up at Struie last Tuesday and saw several deer, all down by the roadsides kicking the snow away because the hills were covered in deeper snow.

I have had a male pheasant come to my garden for a feed every morning now for the last six weeks.......food being the reason. I put a seed mix out daily for him.

Well its another crisp beautiful morning!

New Lanark is really good for a short break and you don't really need to move about too far. We went last April for an overnight stay at the hotel and thought it was brilliant. It's interesting and has a pretty good educational value about Robert Owen and the mills - and that's coming from an easily bored adolescent!

:whistling: That's a seal of approval LS :good:

You can see the difference in water level from the (wet) day we were there compared to a pic taken from Google images:

post-2844-12680409039255_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12680408533555_thumb.jpg

A day like today would be perfect for visiting there, the river is probably quite low at the moment which would let you up the boardwalk to the more distant waterfalls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Glad to report we are getting there - eldest off school today but the rest of us at last on the mend. Even managed out for a short walk with toddler snowy in the buggy. Cool and refreshing, lovely snowdrops around (ignoring the dog doooo and the plastic).

Farmer is picking sprouts today, goodness knows what we'll get in the field in future, he has put in all sorts of alternative usage plans - 9 hole golf course anyone!

Bulbs in the garden have responded to nae snaw here and are poking up through the soil. i think lady P has passed on her gardening vibe - as i have now started "thinking" about doing a clear up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Kind of nondescript day here today. Mostly cloudy at 6C with a very light NE breeze. Very slight frost at -0.3C last night. Not much sign of growth in the garden with only a few now drops on show. Don't know what has happened to the rest of our bulbs this Spring. The Sidlaws to the North still covered in snow though getting a bit patchier now.