Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Well I don"t think I will have to into the wood next week to photograph snow on the ground in March as it is currently 0c and still lightly snowing although the snow on the ground is pretty wet. It really has been a memorable winter with continuous lying snow somewhere at this level during 4 months probably.

The hard part comes now on the farm trying to juggle the remaining feed and getting the spring crops sown when spring arrives. Some of the indications suggest April at the earliest as the ground will have to dry out a lot . In the meantime the upcoming frostyish spell will be very welcome to start the drying process.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, down to 2.5 C from 3.1 in an hour. That is dropping fast and later today should be interesting.

Pity the ground will be so wet if snow starts to fall. Meto heavy snow warning for today and tomorrow for me. Hmmm

Ah well, time for the salt mines now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just goes to show how marginal this is in Inverness, just 25 metres altitude is the difference between very, very little snow at sea level and 3 inches!

No changes here from yesterday, still snowing!

I demand some nice photos of beautiful An t-Srùigh under the sneachd from yourself soon mate :)

Posted

BBC forecast has us back under the sun by Sunday. Braw! I'm missing all the lovely sunshine we had before the stalling front came and spoiled it with rain. Might have been a different story if it was all of snow! At least a whole lot of the country has done well from this fall, I guess I had my fair share on Dec 23rd. Hey, might even get to see some falling later on today :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Demand away, but unless the clouds lift...............not a chance. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. Temps have dropped from 2.6c to 1.6c in an hour here. The showers are turning to sleet. Wind is stronger too. Looks as if we are going to pick up more today but I think it will be very wet snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

wind really picking up - had sleetyness/rain this morning. Dull grey windy - yuck! send down the snow!!!!

Not sure if we'll get snow at lower levels - maybe much later as temps to drop to around 0- fingers crossed.

Posted

Quite interesting to note that glencoe on wednesday I think it was had the record amount of snow for any ski resort in the entire world for 24 hours at 80CM! How many times can you say a Scottish ski resort beat every other ski resort in the world for snow in 1 day. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hi NUT

Yeah i was looking at the snow depths around the world resorts and it was quite amazing to see Scotland way up there!! Simply amazing amounts of snow - only wish i wasn't crap at skiing Lol!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

:)

Vodafone data services on the Meall a' Bhuachaille mast opposite CairnGorm have gone down - CairnGorm Webcams offline and probably will not come back online till the system reboots in the early hours of Saturday morning even if data services come back on during today. One things for sure, no-one is getting near that hut. East Lady has to be an avalanche concern too (hopefully that's not why the cams went off... :) )...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

A March Nrly is the only way to finish off this winter now :)

Posted

Clearing to the north now with isolated snow showers. Scraped the 3 inches of slush that fell again overnight off the farm road this morning in case it refreezes overnight. Another thing that is remarkable about this winter is the constant return of colder air this time from the north the opposite of what happened in the last two days. Currently 1c and wind easing.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

well the radar showing snow over me but it just rainrofl.gif

It's been fair now for most of the morning in these parts, so it looks like the precipitation is now over for this epic event good.gif

Hopefully things will get a chance to dry out a bit and all the surface water on the roads will go before any frosts arrive over the weekend cold.gif

Should be a big money spinner for the Ski industry up North now whistling.gif

Big Innes.

Just back in from a wee adventure (basically since 8.30am!). Will update with full story later (and photos). Snow hasn't melted much despite all the rain :D:D :blink:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Just back in from a wee adventure (basically since 8.30am!). Will update with full story later (and photos). Snow hasn't melted much despite all the rain crazy.gifcrazy.gifblink.gif

Hi Catch,

I'm in the Slush line here at about 650 ft ASL cray.gif the Snow line here looks to be about the 750 - 800 ft ASL cold.gif

Big Innes

Hi Catch,

I'm in the Slush line here at about 650 ft ASL cray.gif the Snow line here looks to be about the 750 - 800 ft ASL cold.gif

Big Innes

I was down in Port Glasgow at Tesco earlier on and the snow line is literally about 20m asl. I kid you not!!

Temperature at Glasgow Airport is a balmy 4C, but importantly the dew point is 0C which indicates the cold air is coming back south :blink: :D

All I need now is a frost.....

Posted

I still hopeing the cold air will dig down here soon and turn this rain to snowcold.gif

Heavy snow now here in Penicuik and starting to settle temp dropping as colder air starts to dig in

It's been fair now for most of the morning in these parts, so it looks like the precipitation is now over for this epic event good.gif

Hopefully things will get a chance to dry out a bit and all the surface water on the roads will go before any frosts arrive over the weekend cold.gif

Should be a big money spinner for the Ski industry up North now whistling.gif

Big Innes.

Looking at the bbc forecast the snow pushes back into Fife midnight onwards

Posted

well according to the bbc glencoe is the snowiest place in the world this winter. not sure about the logic there!! have ony been to glenshee before, and had a fine time. overall what an amazing snowfall, and when the roads are cleared great prospects for skiing into march