Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well if its snowing in Penicuik thats a good sign! although you have elevation on your side.

Absolutely chucking it down (with rain), temps seem about 2 - 2.5c here not dropped since lunchtime.

Kilmacolm was gridlocked earlier today due to abandoned/parked cars along the main roads:

post-2844-12671957274917_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671957730817_thumb.jpg

Not helped by the roadworks:

post-2844-12671958147417_thumb.jpg

I got ToddlerCatch's pram up this (dragged it backwards):

post-2844-12671959255617_thumb.jpg

Even after 12 hours rain the snow is still quite deep (didn't see the dog poo until I got the pics on the PC):

post-2844-12671960137117_thumb.jpg

My parents' drive (1/4 mile from my house but it took an hour to get there):

post-2844-12671960989717_thumb.jpg

Steps to their front door (honestly, there are two steps there):

post-2844-12671961485217_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

well according to the bbc glencoe is the snowiest place in the world this winter. not sure about the logic there!! have ony been to glenshee before, and had a fine time. overall what an amazing snowfall, and when the roads are cleared great prospects for skiing into march

Aye, that is a big claim right enough whistling.gif

But it has been a remarkable snowy season up there and the last couple of days have pretty much topped it off good.gif

Still more to come anyone biggrin.gif

Big Innes

Heavy snow now here in Penicuik and starting to settle temp dropping as colder air starts to dig in

Looking at the bbc forecast the snow pushes back into Fife midnight onwards

Ooo!

Something for the weekend sir whistling.gif

Big Innes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Catch if thats the snow after all that rain - wow you have had loads of snow - i'm impressed.

Hoping not to get too much coastal heat here but i suspect that could be the case especially if Penicuik (midlothian not all that far away from me in the car!) is getting snow around 200m and its chucking it down with rain here. my temp hasn't wobbled at all really so far today - wind seems to have picked up though.

The ground is soaking big huge puddles forming - the track to my house is like a mud bath again - long live the frost!!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

well according to the bbc glencoe is the snowiest place in the world this winter. not sure about the logic there!! have ony been to glenshee before, and had a fine time. overall what an amazing snowfall, and when the roads are cleared great prospects for skiing into march

Skiing well into May more like it!

SS2

Posted

Catch if thats the snow after all that rain - wow you have had loads of snow - i'm impressed.

Hoping not to get too much coastal heat here but i suspect that could be the case especially if Penicuik (midlothian not all that far away from me in the car!) is getting snow around 200m and its chucking it down with rain here. my temp hasn't wobbled at all really so far today - wind seems to have picked up though.

The ground is soaking big huge puddles forming - the track to my house is like a mud bath again - long live the frost!!

i reckon you will do ok after dark the snow line is dropping

Posted

Skiing well into May more like it!

SS2

And a few good long patches to choose from for a midsummers day slide on the 21st of June!!!! Just a couple of years ago saw fresh snow on the tops of the Cairngorms on the 24th of June while going up and down to Glasgow and again at the end of September in the same year.

Posted

i reckon you will do ok after dark the snow line is dropping

Yeah i hope so, fed up with rain now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Got back this morning in the early hours from a working trip to London. Quite a difference in temperatures. People standing outside the pubs drinking there before the rain started. Had to drive back via Forth Bridge because of the A9 situation.

Heading up to check on my elderly mum in Aberfeldy first thing tomorrow. Phone lines down so haven't been able to contact her directly. At least her power is back on. Youngest keen to get up there to build a second igloo of the season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Rain on it's way out now as the DAM line sinks south, snow beginning to fall here and winds pushing from all directions it seems.

Looks like the next 24 hours will see even more. Brrr..

The Low in the North sea seems to be steadily moving north up the east coast of the country and it's outer edges moving onshore overnight, westward action as it meets the cold air flow from Scandi.

Some storm in the English channel over the next 48 hours - glad am not getting a ferry anywhere anytime soon! That low pressure system keeps it's energy all the way onto landfall and keeps on churning until about t96 over St Petersburg.

The Atlantic definitely picking up activity now. The North South divide in upper temps keeping us in among the cold stuff for a while yet - an Icelandic high projected for the start of next week hopefully keeping the remnants of that storm at bay and a couple of crystal clear blue sky winter days.

Posted

The Atlantic definitely picking up activity now. The North South divide in upper temps keeping us in among the cold stuff for a while yet - an Icelandic high projected for the start of next week hopefully keeping the remnants of that storm at bay and a couple of crystal clear blue sky winter days.

We're all gonna be wondering what all the fuss is about down south over the weekend. I miss the sunshine we had for so long!

Posted

1.5/0.3c here now

Still raining solidly

Thats a bit disappointing as it must be getting borderline now. With upper air a little colder over the next few hours hopefully this will make the difference.

Rtavn062.png

It really has been a bumper dump of snow. The snow is between 10-12 inches undisturbed in my parents' garden and that's after the rain so I can only guess there was a foot of snow before the rain set in, possibly more but who knows???

Most of the trees/bushes were clear of snow after the wind and temporary thaw on Wednesday afternoon and we had 4-6 inches on the ground at that time. You can see in the photos that the trees/bushes have been recovered.

We are forecast for more snow tonight (not too much) but any snow on top of what we have will bring chaos, especially if we get a frost and some freezing up of the slushy bits.

Edit: Light snow started now....

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Sleety snizzle here, temperature of 2C, dewpoint 0.8C, will be icy/snowy by morning

Posted

Mixture of Rain/Sleet overnight which has continued sporadically all day, leaving no more in the way of accumulation but no great thaw/melt either.

Temps have fallen now along with DP too just since 4pm now 1.8/0.6 and it's now mre snow again but it's of the horizontal kind (it's windy too), very fine stuff but complete whiteout while looking out,if you know what I mean.. doubt it will leave any accumulation either we're now back to the wrong side of the east coast margin methinks, anyway I hope there's not much more before it cools down as we have no grit/salt left here and I've just cleared the last of the slush/sleet from the drive and road in case of it freezing like last week.

PS.. car is home for the first time in 3 days too ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Same here. Temp is 2.0C with sleety graupely snizzle. Wind is increasing again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Evening all. Started snowing and settling about 15mins ago. I'm a bit unsure about the Lochgelly weather station now as I have checked dew point readings on other sites and Lochgelly's always seems to be higher? My own weather station doesn't give dew points but temp reading is 0.8c. Any idea how long we have this for? Looks like overnight according to the TV.

Posted

Evening all. Started snowing and settling about 15mins ago. I'm a bit unsure about the Lochgelly weather station now as I have checked dew point readings on other sites and Lochgelly's always seems to be higher? My own weather station doesn't give dew points but temp reading is 0.8c. Any idea how long we have this for? Looks like overnight according to the TV.

Hi Blitzen,I just put on the North-East thread that our temperature had dropped in the last hour or so from 2.1c to 0.9c and it had started to snow quite heavily,the snow has started to lay on the grass so it does auger well fo both of us to get at least a covering by the morning-only trouble it will be slushy stuff unless we get a touch of frost which I doubt until tomorrow night. I hope you get out and enjoy it.

I hope you get a fall of snow Blitzen and the colder weather doesn't end any time soon by the looks of things. Possibly some snow showers from the northern flank of the deep low passing to the south on Sunday??

Edited by CatchMyDrift