Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Temps have fallen now along with DP too just since 4pm now 1.8/0.6 and it's now mre snow again but it's of the horizontal kind (it's windy too), very fine stuff but complete whiteout while looking out,if you know what I mean..

Sidey-ways snow :) I have some grainy video of the start of the snow on Wednesday morning which I will no doubt watch 10,000 times in summer and the snowfall looks perfectly level across the picture, as if it will never fall to the ground :) I have hardly ever seen snow like that.

Like you, I'm almost at the point of hoping that if we do get more snow that it doesn't come to much... *runs for cover*

Just had a report from a friend that 31 inches (75cm) snow has fallen west of Kinloch Rannoch (~200m.a.s.l.) :shok::shok::shok: No plough round yet so those communities are well and truly stuck!

Still nothing but cold rain/sleet in Edinburgh...

Snowline along the Clyde Estuary at Port Glasgow/Greenock/Dumbarton is about 20-30m above sea level. There is a thin strip of green at the coast, then white.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

BBC News just now - Scottish ski centres have had more snow this week than the venues for the Winter Olympics in Canada.

:shok:

BBC News just now - Scottish ski centres have had more snow this week than the venues for the Winter Olympics in Canada.

:shok:

If only we'd known that this winter was going to be so good. We could have had the winter Olympics in Scotland.

Inverness: the Winter Olympic City.

Imagine the kudos with that one :) :)

Edit: and imagine the bill :shok:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Had heavy smaw (small snow) here leaving a thin covering on the roads, it has eased off a bit at the moment and the wind is blowing hard.

Still got a decent covering from the last two days biggrin.gif

Current Temp 0 Deg C cold.gif

Could be an interesting Friday night/ Saturday morning whistling.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

The temp has dropped quite markedly late afternoon and early evening and it has been smawing (great word Big Innes)could get interesting later tonight.

Models are showing continuation of the cold in the foreseeable.

SS2

Posted

The temp has dropped quite markedly late afternoon and early evening and it has been smawing (great word Big Innes)could get interesting later tonight.

Models are showing continuation of the cold in the foreseeable.

SS2

drinks.gif SS2

Some spectacular scenes on the news reports from just a wee bit further north and west of here clap.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Sleet and sometimes some sopping wet flakes here in Leith. Impossible to imagine anything settling though. given how wet the ground is here ... but higher parts of town should get something. Airport reporting 1c/DP0c so conditions are right for many at only relatively slight height. In-laws up at Liberton at 400ft , should be scraping it off the car before morning. Not Leith though !

Edited by by-tor

Sleet and sometimes some sopping wet flakes here in Leith. Impossible to imagine anything settling though. given how wet the ground is here ... but higher parts of town should get something. Airport reporting 1c/DP0c so conditions are right for many at only relatively slight height. In-laws up at Liberton at 400ft , should be scraping it off the car before morning. Not Leith though !

The curse of living at sea-level :( I just couldn't move back to somewhere at sea-level, unless it was in some far flung corner of the world were it snowed at 0m :lol:

Edit: Temp at Glasgow Airport 2C, dew point 0C. Could well be frosty/snowy tonight then :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Snow getting considerably heavy now! Might start to settle on the ground! biggrin.gif

Just 5 mins oot o' the toun Mr Stewie and ye can Ski or Sledge good.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Evenin! biggrin.gif

A mixture of rain sleet and snow at the Tollcross end of the meadows just now. I'm hoping for some proper snow before the night is out.

I wouldn't worry about having wet ground.... people often say that. If it is cold enough and the snow is heavy then it will settle.

Hmmm... +1C/0C... wouldn't take much....

Posted

Heavy wet sneet here now : being blown almost horizontally by the wind : nasty horrible .... totally marvellous weather

My giant lamposts (the Forth Bridges) have disappeared !

Posted

You're right of course Joe, if its heavy enough it'll do the business.

I'd imagine from The Meadows up to Bruntsfield, and all inland/higher city points south-and-west from there and beyond, there could be a covering overnight. Classic wet snowfall situation. If its not too unpleasant then might even get a bit of sledging with the youngster up at The Braids tomorrow, around 600ft ASL if I recall right and bound to catch it.

Edit: just noticed airport saying 33F/DP 33F so its marginal as usual...

Evenin! biggrin.gif

A mixture of rain sleet and snow at the Tollcross end of the meadows just now. I'm hoping for some proper snow before the night is out.

I wouldn't worry about having wet ground.... people often say that. If it is cold enough and the snow is heavy then it will settle.

Hmmm... +1C/0C... wouldn't take much....

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all - just had a very interesting journey home.

Left work and I heard on the radio that a lorry had jacknifed at Soutra on the A68. Great.

Ok, take the A7, but my wee one needs picking up from Nursery in Fala, only 4 miles south of Soutra. Snow begins at Pathhead; by Fala it is white out with a couple of inches down already.

By that time some lorries are now stuck climbing soutra and it's chaos; the queue stretches back to fala. Road not ploughed at all - completely snow.

So off I went across country to the A7, over middleton moor to Stow, then backroads over the hills home in whiteout conditions all the way.

This caught a lot of people by surprise.

Crappy thing is it's not lying a my house yet, although will hopefully soon.biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Hi, are there any photos of the immense snow in the Highlands, or any links to them, must be quite something a metre of level snow!

Posted

Might be some current indications that it may not amount to much in these parts. Cloud has lifted and is streakier, visibility improving and can see Fife now. Still cold, wet, raw and unpleasant but only expecting snowy-ish deposits on 400 to 500 feet plus (if it happens at all).

Think we'll know in the next hour or two if this is now the end-game of the general clearance from the north, and perhaps without much more cold undercutting.

Posted

Epic. lol ((

))

Do ye think he might get it cleared in time fur the second post, Mondy dry.gif

Big Innes

Posted

oooooooooh my back has gone just looking at that!!

Check out their channel (scroll half down for most "recent activity" / video uploads)

http://www.youtube.com/user/CairnGormMountain

Do ye think he might get it cleared in time fur the second post, Mondy dry.gif

Big Innes

Yeah, of course they will! Look here - they've been clearing all day for the mail to get through :whistling:

Posted

Snow slowly starting to cover the pavements here after a good while of heavy snow :whistling: If it keeps falling at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see this beat Wednesday's fall by morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow slowly starting to cover the pavements here after a good while of heavy snow smile.gif If it keeps falling at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see this beat Wednesday's fall by morning.

Looks like I've picked the wrong parent to stay with this evening - the radar shows all the heavier precipitation to our east and south while Strathmiglo sits in a constant lull. Freuchie however looks like it might have a decent bit of snow, if it was falling as snow - typical!

LS