Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Dry Start To The Year In The North West

Posted

This has been a notably very dry start to the year here in the NW, would be interested if anyone has any statistics for this area. When precipitation has fallen it has been moderate at best and mostly very light. March looks like continuing the trend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Dry this year? We had almost a foot of snow in Jan!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A mostly drier winter here, apart from some heavy snowfalls. Here comes another very wet summer.

Posted

Unfortunately as soon as the atlantic comes back to play then we will be drenched with irelands left overs once again :)

A mostly drier winter here, apart from some heavy snowfalls. Here comes another very wet summer.

Why? - this does not necessarily have to be the case - remember 1947.

Posted

This has been a notably very dry start to the year here in the NW, would be interested if anyone has any statistics for this area. When precipitation has fallen it has been moderate at best and mostly very light. March looks like continuing the trend.

I don't have any stats but it has felt exceptionally dry for the time of year, I think even more so for Cumbria than Lancashire. I've loved every minute, I've not once wore my full waterproof regalia whilst walking the dogs this winter, the ground is nice and firm underfoot, and I can nip to the bin in my slippers, what more can you ask? I dont know what the conversion ratio for snow-rain is but 1 foot of snow is hardly anything in terms of rainfall and certainly doesnt constitute a wet spell by North West England's standards! After the November we have just had, I think its fair to say we have earned a decent dry winter. I think I would maybe (but I'm not sure) exchange a dry winter for a dry summer. The spell of weather at the start of January when we had clear blue skies, freezing temps, a foot of snow and hoar frost making everything sparkle in the sun may well be my favourite spell of weather of all time.

Posted

January 2010 had a rainfall total of 61mm

February 2010 had a rainfall total of 48mm

February 2009 was drier than February 2010, infact Jan to Apr '09 were all drier than average. 61% of the expected Jan-Apr rainfall total.

I remember March last year, when we had dust blowing off the fallow fields, whipping into miniature dust storms on Chat Moss indicating how dry it had been.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don't have any stats but it has felt exceptionally dry for the time of year,

Perhaps if someone produces some stats ?.

We have have loads and loads of snow and lots of rain here

My 'measurement' ....'Bugger I should have taken my unbrella', ......is set on average at present.

Posted

Perhaps if someone produces some stats ?.

We have have loads and loads of snow and lots of rain here

My 'measurement' ....'Bugger I should have taken my unbrella', ......is set on average at present.

I was referring to the North West, I'm aware that has been pretty damp down your way. It would be interesting to see how above average it has been down south compared to how below average further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I've found conditions underfoot quite damp in the hills, well in those parts that are not under snow but that could be down to slow snow-melt.

Posted

I was referring to the North West, I'm aware that has been pretty damp down your way. It would be interesting to see how above average it has been down south compared to how below average further north.

There is a difference between NW and NE England for February

NE England had 116% of the Feb average

NW England and N Wales 67%

Philip Eden's values

NE: 147%

NW: 71%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

its been very dry here.

i have recorded only 104.6mm since 1st january, which is only a third of what we would have by now any other winter.

Posted

The last 5 months here:

October: 58.6mm (126%)

November: 79.1mm (138%)

December: 93.7mm (180%)

January: 77.6mm (153%)

February: 66.0mm (172%)

In 2010 only 13 out of 63 days have so far had no precipitation, so a dry spell will be most welcome!

Posted

This time last year, Great Asby had received 236.8mm of rain. So far this year, we've had 65.3mm.

Confirms my thoughts - Cumbria compared to much of the country in terms of rainfall has seen anamolous low totals compared to the average, even compared to last year which was relatively dry this year has been very dry here indeed. We were protected from the northerlies which delivered snow in January, and protected from the easterlies in Feb, and when any fronts did arrive from the south west they had mostly fizzled to nothingness. This winter has been exceptional in terms of being completely absent of heavy bursts of rain and gales - very benign indeed and this factor perhaps more than the consistent cold has been the most notable aspect of the winter. What a contrast to November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

This time last year, Great Asby had received 236.8mm of rain. So far this year, we've had 65.3mm.

This is almost lulling me into the false sense of security that my rainfall total will whup yours this year as the total here stands at 155.2mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This is almost lulling me into the false sense of security that my rainfall total will whup yours this year as the total here stands at 155.2mm.

Well parts of Cumbria saw that in one day last year so under 100mm is very little at this stage!

Not sure exactly what my monthly/annual total is but since the start of October we've had 233mm of rain, which includes two days with over 40mm, so hardly a washout here either!

Posted

I've never been so keen to lose a claim to fame since I was voted 'Cult of the Year' by the Great Cornard Upper School Dyslexic Society in 1985. Alas, as LS suggests, anywhere that's capable of exceeding 150mm over two days on a fairly regular basis always stands a chance of coming from behind.