Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows Winter 09/10

Posted

This has to be the dullest and calmest winters since being on the Isle of Lewis.

started with a big bang with 2 big systems way back in September and then part from 2 or 3 days since then virtually nothing.

this winters highest wind speed of 78.8 mph

compare that to other winters.

09/10 78.8 mph

08/09 105.9 mph ( with sustained winds in of 98 mph for a time )

07/08 94.4 mph

04/05 108 mph

hopefully this winter was just a one of, and back to normal service next winter.

Posted

A winter largey without strong winds, mild temps and rain, after that awful November. Hopefully the start of a trend.

Must have been eerily calm there!?

its been really wired to tell you the truth, you just get so used to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

great winter, atlantic free mostly, except the last day with dreaded Xynthia, didnt affect the uk, maybe only the extreme SE, Xynthia (Sunday's low) even has a wikipedia page now

cookie im sure it will be back to normal sadly next winter

Posted

November was the only month with gales this time,but it was the roughest/wettest november since 2000.

Otherwise the jet is too far south to bring any storms to the north and most of the UK,so instead lots of highs and cold easterlies/N-ly for the north,there must of been some E-lys gales recently in Scotland.

Spain and France was the place for 100mph+ gusts!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Here's to one of these next winter (along with a subsequent spell of northerly blocking of course!!)

Rrea00119930111.gif

Posted

Here's to one of these next winter (along with a subsequent spell of northerly blocking of course!!)

Rrea00119930111.gif

i will make a deal with you, one month of cold blocking and lots of snow followed by a month of Atlantic lows mild temps and rain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

i will make a deal with you, one month of cold blocking and lots of snow followed by a month of Atlantic lows mild temps and rain?

Sounds like a good winter to me, though of course that particular low brought incredible snowfall to northern Britain, although it was followed and preceeded by a very mild and wet few months. If we can swap the order around i.e. one month of mild, atlantic, windy, wet weather with that storm and then a month of northerly blocking to preserve the huge snowcover and build on it, we have a deal - pity the deal's way way out in FIlaugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Posted

I was considering that but as even '93 was before my time '84 was way too far back for me! I believe that had an average which was 0.1C above this January for Alba http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/datasets/Tmean/ranked/Scotland.txt Just shows that blocking and cold zonality can work equally well this far north! I also realised (off topic here!) that February was very cold this year at 0.3C, yet it honestly was less snowy than February 2007 here (in terms of maximum depth) and much less so than 2005. '47 at -2.4C average just seems insanely cold!

For here end of September 2009 was windy and November was really stormy. December was more mild and cold we did have the odd wet and windy day. December is usually calm here. But January was something unexpected about 3 weeks worth of cold and snowy weather. At the end of January we had two storms reaching gusts of 70mph nothing compared to last January when 120mph gusts were recorded. During February we didn't get one storm and March so far none.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup two winters on the bounce without any real storms. One of the quietest periods I can remember.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's also a big contrast from some other recent seasons- the first half of January 2005 was very windy in northern England, with a notable gale on the 8th which caused considerable structural damage (probably the severest since January 1990) and then January 2007 had repeated gales in the first two-thirds of the month, on a par with February 1990 & January 1993.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

force 10 already out here from the met office for tonight,

not sure weather or not to start an atlantic lows thread or just to keep it in here.

HebridesGale warnings - Issued: 1013 Thu 18 Mar

Southerly gale force 8 veering southwesterly and increasing storm force 10 later

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 0505 Thu 18 Mar

WindSouth or southeast, veering southwest, 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 later.

Sea StateRough or very rough occasionally high.

WeatherRain or squally showers.

VisibilityModerate or good occasionally poor