Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When Does Spring Begin For You?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I would say for me, the first day of spring would be when a combination of mostly clear or clear skies, light winds and a high of 12C or more come into place. It really does vary from year to year, as was seen in 2008 when we had a lovely springlike episode in February which was never to be seen again until the start of April.

Just a list of when spring has started for me in previous years:

2009: March 15th

2008: Feb (taster), March 27th

2007: March 10th

2006: April 14th

2005: March 18th

2004: March 16th

Seems to be that the springlike weather comes around the middle of March which looks like to be about the same this year. What's different though is the antecedent conditions which have this year, like 2006, have been persistently cold and I remember in April 2006 walking around Bristol on something like the 23rd and the trees were just beginning to show signs of greening. We've certainly had some nice days so far this month, but nothing springlike for me personally and as Andy Bown has pointed out in his signature, it's now been 3 months since a double figure was recorded for both him and myself.