Cold?
IGNORED

Mild Spell Discussion

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

As temperatures recover to normal and look set to go above it by next Tuesday, I'm using net weathers forecast here as the met office has double figures for us now which means the mild spell has already started. Net weather delays it.

Looks like the weather is going to be a bit different breezy for the first time in ages. Sadly not much in the way of sun though.

Bad news for is the garden is going too respond and I'm not going to be able to do anything about it since I've just had an op.

Posted

It does look warm even this coming week,not alot of rain about yet.

Depends how much rain you`ve had lately on will it grow much.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn901.png

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn9017.png

I see GFS is showing something very interesting after that though!!

Posted

Quite warm yesterday at 11.5c. Also very strange to hear the wind blowing again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Quite warm yesterday at 11.5c. Also very strange to hear the wind blowing again.

Pit, how many consecutive days was it at your location without a 10c temperature in the end. For me, it ended up 94 days as yesterday reached 12.2c.

Happy Days

STORMBOY

Posted

Its above average but these temps aren't that much above average really, esp now we are in Mid March and temps tend to rise anyway from now, esp during the daytime as the days get longer.

That being said it is very nice out there today and whilst cloud levels have increased during the day its still nice enough to be honest!

ps, many days in previous Mid Marches have seen maxes about as high as we have seen today in the CET zone, indeed its nearly normal in the last 10 years.

Posted

Pit, how many consecutive days was it at your location without a 10c temperature in the end. For me, it ended up 94 days as yesterday reached 12.2c.

Happy Days

STORMBOY

98 days just missed out on the ton. An impressive. Mild again today but not as warm as Yesterday.

Even though temps have got upto 11C here it still feels chilly out of the sun and especially at night and early morning, went for a walk and it felt very chilly, all set to end though from tomorrow with some nasty TM air bringing lots of cloud cover before a cooling trend again.

Posted

Hi all!

We have now opened a general weather banter thread here for all the conversation that doesn't fit into specific threads: netweather.tv/weather-banter

Posted

Very mild again. Upto 12.7c. Last nights minimum was cold at 0.4c.

Is it really that mild though, sure its above average but there have been many many CET days that have been as mild as that between the 10-20th of March, above average, yes, very mild, not sure I'd use that phrase to describe that, at least for the last few days, though we probably will reach that bracket in places towards the end of the week.

Posted

Is it really that mild though, sure its above average but there have been many many CET days that have been as mild as that between the 10-20th of March, above average, yes, very mild, not sure I'd use that phrase to describe that, at least for the last few days, though we probably will reach that bracket in places towards the end of the week.

2.3C above normal that's mild me thinks. Yesterday was normal but today again in double figures and a night coming up where it's likely to be above normal by 2c perhaps more so the day we got our first double figures was mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Some of the local Netweather forcasts seem to suggest temperatures may exceed 15*C in some spots during this mild/warm spell. A little bit warmer than the 13*C mark (when I had a check two days ago). Considering the winds are looking good for drawing some warmer air from the South, temperatures of 15 certainly could be achieved just as longs the weather doesn't end up being too cloudy/wet.

Posted

bbc say we will get 17c + in south east on thursday, then rain moves in clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

13.8C here today - we don't see that in the height of summer on some days when the haar sets in or we have overcast skies from Scandinavian sourced winds.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/datasets/Tmax/ranked/Scotland_E.txt

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGPH/1972/7/1/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=15&monthend=7&yearend=1972&req_city=Edinburgh+Airport&req_state=&req_statename=United+Kingdom

Interesting to note that 2006 had only 3 days which hit 25C and in fact contained many with temperatures around 15C and rain in this period.

Mind you the back end of that month was incredibly warm for Scotland http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGPH/1972/7/16/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=7&yearend=1972&req_city=Edinburgh+Airport&req_state=&req_statename=United+Kingdom

Though the maximum never hit 30C as it did last July on the 2nd which, although minor to those further south, was probably the hottest day we in Fife ever saw.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGPH/1972/8/1/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=15&monthend=8&yearend=1972&req_city=Edinburgh+Airport&req_state=&req_statename=United+Kingdom

In summary, we have rubbish summerslaugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

While it's true that we can experience poor Summers, some of the Summers, particularly the ones around the 2003 - 2006 period have been quite inviting I feel. I mean, fair enough, your view of Summers being mostly rubbish is your own opinion and the last few have indeed followed that route (except possibly August last year). However, I still feel we get enough variety from Summer to Summer, with wet/cool and dry/warm Summers, to prevent a good portion of these from being disappointing.

I suppose like with Winter, a scorching soggyless Summer could be seen as a bad Summer for some people, yet for others it could be seen as a big welcome - (the same for a Summer that is cool and damp). As it happens, though, I found Summer 2003 and 2006 a little too hot at times and was always hoping for a cloudier cooler day to break up some of the long passages of hot dry weather.

Personally, for me, a good Summer would be one where the temperatures varies from around 20*C to 30*C, and with a mixture of sunny dry weather and showers; thundery weather also included.

Really hoping that a warmer drier Summer can be accomplished this year. That would be great. cool.gif

Posted

I sort of see where you are coming from with this. 12.7C for mid-March doesn't seem that mild too me neither especially when you look in the past, temperatures of 20.0+ have been recorded for mid March. I guess when it comes to March, very warm comes into play now, so in respect, very mild in March is not the same as very mild in January ie. a very mild day in January is near the top of the temperature limit whilst a very mild March day isn't as it can be very warm ie. 20+C.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I suggest that 18C in Norwich is notably warm for the time of year though...

The main difference at this time of the year is that the continent warms up and solar input increases, so high temperatures are no longer entirely reliant on warm airmasses like they are in the middle of January. Hence the national January record is only 18C compared with long-term averages of 6 or 7C, whereas in August it is 38C compared with long-term averages of 20-22C for central and southern areas.