Cold?
IGNORED

Sustainable Snow Cover

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I notice on the model discussion thread a out lier at T240 ie 26/27th March

--------

Mmm,not sure i would welcome that so late in the season Yamkin.

Could be quite unpleasant, raw and sleety maybe, but worse than a cloudy mild,S.Westerly imo.

As Tamara said a good setup 2months ago,but not now,at least not if you are wanting sustainable snowcover

---------

Have we ever had more the 2/3 days of sustainable snow cover come the end of March (low lying areas in uk) ?. March 1947 ??.

I think it was early April 1989 we had heavy settling snow which lasted over 24hrs where I lived at the time (Woking Surrey) assume it lasted longer elsewhere.

I assume you would want a raw easterly with cloud cover during the day and or snow and clear cold nights?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Albert Square's had it for a couple of weeks now shok.gifbiggrin.gif

Yes 'my friend' watches that.

Isn't that stupid all that snow around the garden in Albert square

My other friend watch Corrie and it was snowing in Blackpool !

Posted

Albert Square's had it for a couple of weeks now :p:D

Albert Square is certainly experiencing a late Winter this year!

:whistling: :lol:

I think it was early April 1989 we had heavy settling snow which lasted over 24hrs where I lived at the time (Woking Surrey) assume it lasted longer elsewhere.

It was April 5th. I remember it well and also lived near Woking. I would be happy with another April 1989 or 2008 this year!

My little boy was born on 05.03.1970 - it started snowing on 04.03.1970 and we acheived a good 20 cms at Hemel Hempstead. Later on 05.03.1970 I mader an igloo for my little girl who was 2 years at the time. I cannot recall how long the snow lasted but it must have been for 2 or 3 days at least with that depth.

Then there was this last episode in southern France, just over a week ago - it started to snow on the Sunday evening with rain and snow through the Monday - on the Tuesday, there was still extensive snow cover and it was still cold enough for the snow to blow in the wind. After that it started to warm slowly at first then more rapidly, so we still had fairly extensive snow cover, though not 100% until the Thursday and some of the deeper drifts have only just disappeared as I write with temps getting up to about 18C.

Going further back it snowed on my wedding day, 04.04.1964, then we flew to Jersey for our honeymoon and the weather there was delightful and fairly warm - in fact we could sit on the beach and I hired a scooter and got quite tanned with the sun and the wind effect.

If he is to be believed that Joe laminate floori is promising us colder winters in the future - I believe the jury is still out on this but will await developments until called to that glacier on high!