Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2010

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Believe it when I see it but I hope they are wrong!

Posted

Maybe Positive Weather Solutions are looking for some media exposure, and it looks like they've got it. Not a very clever idea if they turn out to be wrong. Hats off to them if they're correct though.

Edited by stuboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

One of the articles states it will break the UK top temp record this year - brave call I feel, but credit if it does happen. Does anyone know what method/s he uses?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The Postive Weather Solutions summer forecast

JUNE: Starts with fine weather. Rain mid-month but temperatures warm to very warm. Changeable later in month with fine conditions although some heavy rain to finish.

JULY: Starts unsettled with some rain, then dry through mid-month with warm to very warm temperatures, lots of sunshine and light breeze. Humid towards end of the month with thunderstorms and possible flash floods.

AUGUST: Thunderstorms quickly replaced by unbroken sunshine which may cause record temperatures. Warm mid-month but broken up by unsettled periods. Good weather towards month end before showery, cooler conditions move in.

Above is their prelim forecast. They are relying on the fact that El Nino will still be a player and interact with the jetstream and send well north of the UK at times.

Well summer 76 was almost wholly dominated by HP over or close to the UK and Ireland, this forecast doesn't really suggest that. It seems they seem to be looking for southerly plumes.

I won't be looking for El Nino to be a player for summer, but their winter LRF was pretty ok so lets see what happens.

BFTP

Posted

Looking through those articles and looking at the forecast I would agree that somebody is after some publicity (was surprised to find it wasn't Piers Corbyn!). After 2 seasonal forecasts that were opposite to what Met Office predicted (not hard to do) and the likes of the BBC are running the story. I do hope the British public has learnt to pour a heap of salt all over that forecast.

Posted

Notice how almost all of those papers are tabloids, which seem to predict extreme weather at every opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if it snows in August now.

Edited by Paranoid

Don't be silly paranoid August snowfall away from the scottish mountains is VERY UNLIKELY in the UK.

I seriously thought it was an early Aprils fools joke but all the online sites are carrying the story, it seems the real suckers are them, how the hell can a small bunch of forecasters forcast a BBQ summer when a big Professional organisation couldnt is beyond me, very irresponsible forecast by positive weather solutions(who the hell are they anyway), lets hope they get as much stick as the UKMO did when it will so obviously fail.

Remember when the met office said last summer was set to be one for BBQs? Skip related content

Related photos / videos

570766176-bbq-summer-predicted-2010.jpg#300,225'BBQ Summer' predicted for 2010 Play video

More photos: Weather

content

It ended up being wet, windy and wild, then came the big Freeze which had been billed as a mild winter.

The government's forecasters have not been with it lately it seems.

But now a small firm of forecasters from Wales, called Positive Weather Solutions, who've correctly predicted the wet and the cold, are saying this summer will be the hottest on record.

They say average temperatues in June, July and August will beat even those of the 1976 heatwave when stand pipes and drought became a feature of daily life.

As a nation we're famous for talking about the weather and with the mercury set to soar beyond 38 degrees , lets hope this summer is becomes a hot topic of conversation.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I expect it to be a typical british summer, drier than last year but also rain and cool most of the time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Since we barely squeezed above 21C in about half of the summers since 1996 the chance of genuine heat IMBY is a fairly small one - 30C last July will probably be remembered for a long time here as one of the few genuinely hot days in living memory.

PWS are obviously looking for attention but they have as much chance as anyone else - actually, scratch that, they really don't as they're not calling for slightly above average but instead a monumental heatwave at the start of August which is always an outside bet.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well I hope "PWS" have got some face masks and like eggs :):cold: Talk about Media hype. There forecast is seriously flawed and there going to be remembered for this Fantasy Summer prediction, for all the wrong reasons. All I can say to them is the very "Best Of Luck" because there going to need it!! :D

Posted

Above is their prelim forecast. They are relying on the fact that El Nino will still be a player and interact with the jetstream and send well north of the UK at times.

Well summer 76 was almost wholly dominated by HP over or close to the UK and Ireland, this forecast doesn't really suggest that. It seems they seem to be looking for southerly plumes.

I won't be looking for El Nino to be a player for summer, but their winter LRF was pretty ok so lets see what happens.

BFTP

Its a very brave call by them, to call for record breaking temps at any time is a bold call even in a globally warm year...

As you say El Nino is a non factor this summer, in fact I wouldn't be all that surprised if we aren't far away from La Nina, however that being said I do expect it to be fairly warm summer overall, but still too early to make a good call yet from a personal viewpoint.

Posted

Its a very brave call by them, to call for record breaking temps at any time is a bold call even in a globally warm year...

As you say El Nino is a non factor this summer, in fact I wouldn't be all that surprised if we aren't far away from La Nina, however that being said I do expect it to be fairly warm summer overall, but still too early to make a good call yet from a personal viewpoint.

Indeed, I have a feeling that we will see the reverse to this winter develop this summer. Where 40-60 N were cold they could become warm and where arctic etc were 'relatively' warm could become cold and in fact a notable global cooling compared to notable early warmth may develop. Come end of the year I expect it to be balanced as I agree KW a La Nina looks likely to be in place.

BFTP

Posted

Hardly brave,, just par for the course

August set to be a scorcher

Forecasters are predicting that temperatures will steadily rise over the next few weeks with the possibility of reaching 101F (38.5C) in mid-August.

Jonathan Powell from Positive Weather Solutions said: 'The roller-coaster summer will have another high. When it does arrive, record temperatures may well be achieved.

'At present, the second week of August looks likely to break the warmest-day record for England, and possibly Wales.'

July 2009 ....... ;)

Posted

Summer 1976 wasn't even an El Nino summer, it came at the end of a prolonged La Nina episode.

Sorry kev, my ref to 76 was that it was a HP dominated dry and hot spell. Looking at PWS forecast they seem to forecast a fair bit of unsettled weather too so no 76 summer. They seem to cover quite a few angles and so it will need 'plume' style pattern to generate the heat they anticipate.

BFTP

Posted

Sorry kev, my ref to 76 was that it was a HP dominated dry and hot spell. BFTP

Actually, I wasn't even referring to you. Just the fact that summer 1976 wasn't an El Nino summer and that El Nino is not a necessary factor for a hot summer. The summer of 1975 was La Nina and that was a very warm one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

See little evidence of the superb first two weeks of August that Positive Weather Solutions were predicting earlier in the year.

Indeed. Perhaps they issue these forecasts so far in advance knowing that by the time the period in question arrives most people will have forgotten ( as I had ) which part of the season it refers to.