Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April CET

Posted

I'll give my call early next week.

An observation is how we haven't seen a real cold April since 1998, most Aprils since then have been mild or very mild. Perhaps 2010 is the year when we see a significantly colder April, SST's are very favourable and the potential for a cold start, it could be of the cold and unsettled variety, the atlantic seems to have steamed into gear at a time when it is traditionally very quiet, this year so far has been far from normal synoptic wise...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

An observation is how we haven't seen a real cold April since 1998, most Aprils since then have been mild or very mild. Perhaps 2010 is the year when we see a significantly colder April, SST's are very favourable and the potential for a cold start, it could be of the cold and unsettled variety, the atlantic seems to have steamed into gear at a time when it is traditionally very quiet, this year so far has been far from normal synoptic wise...

Not quite- the Aprils of 2000 and 2001 had comparable temperatures to April 1998 over large areas of the country. In Tyneside, for instance, April 2001 was actually the coldest of the three due to lower minima.

On the other hand, we haven't had a significantly (more than 0.5C) colder-than-average April in the CET zone since 1989! Many parts of northern and western Britain managed it in one or more of the aforementioned three Aprils though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

What do you mean by 'real cold'

1998 with CET at 7.7 the 159th coldest April. (we had of course heavy snow in April 2009)

1986 of course had that month long cold February followed just below average March and then the 20th coldest April CET at 5.8c

Are we due a much colder then average April CET probably , we have had a colder then average winter so I'll go for.so by logic.....

7.9c whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

8.4°C for me please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

7.8C for me please.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Uping my prediction to 8.4C, 0.3C above average.

Posted

Slightly above average is my guess at 8.4 degrees. It will be a cold start for many especially in the north, a generally unsettled month in the main, it will be the lack of clear skies at night which will help bump the CET up, not maxima which I suspect is going to be very suppressed especially under the rain, with lots of snow threat for the northern hills. Seems the atlantic has suddenly decided to rev into gear, just when you would expect it to die down, this is not a normal start to the year, the atlantic has been out of sync so far in terms of being very quiet, a generally southerly tracking jet will steer low pressure across the country much as we have now but southern parts will probably benefit from milder air from the south from time to time.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

9.2c please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

My guess is 8.7C.

Posted

A fairly typical and not particularly exciting April to come I feel. I'll go for a CET of:

8C

:)