Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why Are People Still Looking For Cold And Snow?

Cymro

Posted

Personally I fail to see why people are looking still for cold weather, yes snow could fall for the next six weeks or so if the weather patterns look favourable this isn't unusual, however when you see people crying downgrade damn we won't have snow etc it makes me wonder why are people still looking for cold?

As a gardener I can't wait for eh first 20 of the year and things get going, the fields are starting to turn greener after being yellow burned out since mid December.

Bring on Milder weather now I say o'r its going to cost me a fortune in paraffin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think a lot of it is down to how much snow people have had or haven't had over the winter. I bet the majority of people in Scotland, Northern England and upland Great Britain have had enough of snow but there are many who missed out in the February events such as myself who wouldn't mind a last bite at the cherry.

I would probably rather have a nice clean polar maritime airmass at the moment with bright sunshine and showers like one would expect at this time of the year however if wintry synoptics do appear, I wish it would just get on with it, give a good dump of snow then move away to something milder after instead of the homogenous cold that doesn't quite produce the goods.

Posted

Its not often I get fed up with snow but for the first time this year I have been..

I hope it doesnt turn colder and the warmer weather stay's around now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

We've had this question asked about a dozen times over the last couple of days alone, and I get the impression that some of you are going to keep on asking it until those of us whose preferences don't dramatically switch on the 1st March each year "admit" to being "wrong".

There are some people who like it to be cold and wintry all year round, while there are others who appreciate a wide variety of weather types including spring snowfalls, which isn't necessarily a case of "looking for cold" but rather being excited over one of many types of weather that they enjoy. My stance is that my favourite weather types are the same all year around, and so while I like there to be a significant difference between winter and summer with spring and autumn marking the transitions between the two, I am not averse to a spell of wintry weather in April or May just as I am not averse to a spell of warm sunshine in the middle of December.

The pressure on the Net-Weather populace to "move on" by switching to regarding snow as the worst thing since World War II on the 1st March occurs every year, the fact that we've had a cold winter this year is just an excuse to perpetuate it all the more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Because I hate warmth - simples :)

It's like I don't see why people enjoy 30c in the summer - I can see very few positives. Sure you can go outside and have a BBQ, but 30c certainly is not pleasant. Sticky nights, annoying insects, sunburn, uncomfortable days - not my idea of pleasant weather.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Because when it snows at this time of year it is generally bright with the snow coming in the form of showers. Also, the ski resorts could really do with another few inches of snow to top up the still substantial amounts on the hills. In 2008, we managed to have a good ski season in the Easter holidays thanks to synoptics like this http://www.wetterzen...00120080325.gif at the end of an otherwise mediocre winter for snow.

http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/

Cairngorm is still doing very well, Glencoe is doing ok, Nevis Range is struggling a little on lower runs, Glenshee could do with a bit more snow and the Lecht looks reasonable enough for skiing but the cold returning will be beneficial for all of them.

Current 0C Isotherm http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100327/06/06/0degisotherm.png

Monday http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100327/06/54/0degisotherm.png

Tuesday http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100327/06/78/0degisotherm.png

Precipitation http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100327/06/72/ukprec.png

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100327/06/99/ukprec.png http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100327/06/99/0degisotherm.png

The above = snow down to lower levels even, with 0C isotherm being well below munro height by day and night.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Another important point- all of us have likes and dislikes that are hard to fathom by others. For instance I don't see the attraction in rugby but I see attraction in snooker, while many others could say the opposite. Each individual is attracted to a different set of things in the world, some pairs of individuals have a lot in common, other pairs do not.

Continuing the rugby/snooker analogy this question is a lot like someone asking "Why do people watch snooker? It's just people walking around a green table knocking balls into holes with a stick!". Many snooker fans would be happy to defend their sport if this question was asked once in a while but I imagine they'd get cheesed off if it was asked several times per day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

If we had 6 months of cold and snow every year maybe I would prefer 13c and sunny.

However we dont so give me a blizzard for Easter , her in doors can drive smile.gif

May,June,July,August are only months I would prefer CETs abover average but happy to have a real low recorded breaking cold August.

Posted

Because we're not all gardeners? laugh.gif

Snow at any time of year is fine by me: I'd even take the middle of July for the pure novelty of it.

Posted

Because people like me prefer cold and snow over hot and sunny, I do like occasional spells of hot weather, but I cant tolerate days on end with 25C+ and sun. People are entitled to their own opinions over what weather type they prefer, but recently I have found some people wanting more cold and snow have been moaned at by people wanting milder weather, nobody in particular.

Posted

Why on earth can't everyone, be they a cold lover or a warm lover for gawds sake stop moaning about the other side.

To say this constant harping on about preferences is tedious is an understatement.

Just enjoy 'your' weather and leave others to enjoy 'theirs'.

Seems simple to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I like Snow in Winter and Warmth in Summer.

In between i accept that we can get either but getting excited about Snowfall this late in the season is so futile as it just doesn`t last,except in the Scottish highlands.

Posted

It's like I don't see why people enjoy 30c in the summer - I can see very few positives. Sure you can go outside and have a BBQ, but 30c certainly is not pleasant. Sticky nights, annoying insects, sunburn, uncomfortable days - not my idea of pleasant weather.

What Nick said :)

(except I don't see how you can have BBQs outside when it's 30c .....)

Plus, this forthcoming spell of cold, wet, windy, possibly snowy weather looks somewhat more interesting than average temps with a bit of cloud and maybe the odd bit of light rain overnight :)

Edited by Essan

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I hate the heat and prefer the cold. The reason I keep predicting record warm CETS all year around is because really cold April-August months become rare since the late '80s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its unbelievable how many people still want snow. It will only melt straight after it stops but thats my preferences.

I love the snow but i find it annoying when cold/snow returns in spring. Im definately a person for hot and cold. ;)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Don't get me wrong I like snow myself, Had 45 days of lying snow which consisted of the whole of January nearly and half of february and a few days in December, almost cosective air frosts since the end of september till middle of feb. As a gardener I loved this because it kills all the diseases and pests etc but now with a greenhouse full of seedling and april fast aproaching I would love for a bit of warmth, And all that about the march the 1st was uncalled for. I personally agree with you that weather varys and shouldnt be situated around dates however there was no need for a rant as if I personally was one of those that go on, what you'r forgetting is its now the 27th of march, the first of march my patron saints day was all but 26 days ago the length of a month nearly? How can you compare that to now? Daylight hours are longer etc totally different circumstances, Most people in Britain forget that the farmers are also having a hard time growing crops this year beacuse they havent been out in the fields to plough with frozen ground and they haven't been able to plant seed for the same reasons. When prices of Bread, Potatoes and food goes up people are first to complain. Weather affects every aspect of life hence the such interest init.

Posted

Don't get me wrong I like snow myself, Had 45 days of lying snow which consisted of the whole of January nearly and half of february and a few days in December, almost cosective air frosts since the end of september till middle of feb. As a gardener I loved this because it kills all the diseases and pests etc but now with a greenhouse full of seedling and april fast aproaching I would love for a bit of warmth, And all that about the march the 1st was uncalled for. I personally agree with you that weather varys and shouldnt be situated around dates however there was no need for a rant as if I personally was one of those that go on, what you'r forgetting is its now the 27th of march, the first of march my patron saints day was all but 26 days ago the length of a month nearly? How can you compare that to now? Daylight hours are longer etc totally different circumstances, Most people in Britain forget that the farmers are also having a hard time growing crops this year beacuse they havent been out in the fields to plough with frozen ground and they haven't been able to plant seed for the same reasons. When prices of Bread, Potatoes and food goes up people are first to complain. Weather affects every aspect of life hence the such interest init.

Valid points, but none of this contradicts the fact that snow at this time of year isn't as rare as some make out - it should be expected now and then. You're certainly more likely to experience a late wintry episode at this point than an early summery one.

Posted

The rant was not aimed at you specifically, but the fact that it's the umpteenth time that I've seen this same question, expressed in a condescending way, over the last couple of days. The important bit there is "condescending", i.e. it's expressed in a way that attacks other people's beliefs, as if it's wrong not to be averse to snow in spring, or as if those who aren't averse to it are somehow responsible for the problems that it causes.

If it was simply asking people to explain why they hold particular views then it wouldn't be an unreasonable question, it would be like asking people why they enjoy, say, football or snooker or Formula One. But the way this question is expressed is more akin to "Formula One is processional, it pollutes the environment, it endangers human lives, and it's just cars going around a track, those of you who follow F1 should stop and think of the environmental consequences, I can't understand why anyone is interested in it, why are people interested?".

The references to the 1st March are because it marks the beginning of meteorological spring, and correspondingly it's the date when many people switch from looking for cold and snow to looking for warmth. There are sound reasons for doing this but it should not be used to attack those who prefer variety and/or whose favourite weather types are relatively consistent all year round.

To be honest i use to be not that bothered whether it got cold in late March into April but with people like the thread starter keep going on about it i am now hoping for more just to irritate people like him and mushy :shok:

Met monkey are going for it to last until the end of April ;)...wow cold lasting that long is almost unheard of, even i dont expect that.

We are expecting many parts of the country to see some increasingly unsettled and wintry weather from the beginning of the week starting from late Monday 29th running into the end of April.
Because I hate warmth - simples smile.gif

LOL well you being in staffordshire you dont need to worry about 30C even in warwickshire i hardly ever record temps of 30C+ so you further northwest surely dont have to worry aobut it, i havent recorded 30C in years its not that common around here, in the southeast yes but not the west midlands northwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Oh dear just stumbled across this thread wallbash.gif

I'm one of those people who get disappointed when downgrades come along. The reason for this is because I'd rather have daytime temperatures of 5°C with snow showers and night frosts whether there is any lying snow or not than 5°C and persistent rain with a little sleet. That is what will happen if we get downgrades this week.

Don't get me wrong, I've reached the time of year when I'd gladly swap this week for a nice, dry and warm one, but I still enjoy the 'sunshine and wintry showers' scenario - especially over dull, wet and cold weather! If anything, late March - Early April is one of the best times of year to get a 'snow showers northerly' as there can still be lying snow, mainly at night, whilst the stronger sun can allow for more dramatic showers to develop over land, and during the afternoons it doesn't feel quite as unpleasant as it does when you're exposed to a strong northerly wind in January.

I think a lot of it is down to how much snow people have had or haven't had over the winter. I bet the majority of people in Scotland, Northern England and upland Great Britain have had enough of snow but there are many who missed out in the February events such as myself who wouldn't mind a last bite at the cherry.

Had enough? Us? No!! There are still a lot of snow patches on the hills even at low-ish levels but one final dusting/covering/dumping of snow would be a nice end to winter. The winter just passed may have been cold here but it wasn't as snowy as it was cold. I'm sure there have been warmer winters with far more snow so a wee bit more snow won't go unsung :)

I'd love to see snow and then some proper warmth in quick succession. Just to get the natives confused :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

You know, there will be some who are not necessarily looking for cold and snow but enjoy the varied weather that spring can bring and why not, it's not like we can control it? Personally I would like some warmth at this time of year, but if we do get snow then I'm going to enjoy it!

Posted

Simple

white fluffy and takes us back to being a kid....

and.... we might get a day of work!

Posted

I think a short cold spell in the spring can always be good, gives the season charachter.

I dont like them too far into April though as that can lead to poor summers, 1998 anyone? No thanks. Though 2006 had a spring cold snap (a very cold one if memory serves with plenty of snow) throughout March and that summer was very nice.

Dont worry too much about this upcoming spell causing problems with the garden as I doubt it will bring the permafrost we had through jan and feb.