Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted

A new thread for the discussion of the upcoming colder spell.

Model Output Discussion:

General Weather banter/discussion:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62065-weather-banter/

Please note, if you think the very idea of snow in mid-Spring is an insult to human civilisation then theres this thread:

Posted

Looks like a very possible heavy snow blizzard coming like what happened in April 2000 or april 1998 but that gave 2 very heavy surprise snowstorms all 3,I`m preparing for this,monday looks very wet cool/cold,and that is what happened previous dates above,before the snow and cold came.

Except it`s late march.

78_30.gif

Posted

The colder arctic air will arrive later Tuesday for most as we see the 528 dam thicknesses transfer southwards. Thereafter it looks like many will stay in the cold air for possibly 48 hours, so chances of any showers being of the wintry variety especially in the north on Wednesday and Thursday looks very high indeed.

So if you don't get any low level snow from the frontal system on Tuesday, there is still chance of a snow shower up to about Thursday.

The colder air looks like being mixed out by Friday with some slightly milder air from the atlantic, however, increasing signs that a northerly plunge may develop later Saturday and for easter sunday. It is a cold outlook notably cold on high ground in the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The colder arctic air will arrive later Tuesday for most as we see the 528 dam thicknesses transfer southwards. Thereafter it looks like many will stay in the cold air for possibly 48 hours, so chances of any showers being of the wintry variety especially in the north on Wednesday and Thursday looks very high indeed.

So if you don't get any low level snow from the frontal system on Tuesday, there is still chance of a snow shower up to about Thursday.

The colder air looks like being mixed out by Friday with some slightly milder air from the atlantic, however, increasing signs that a northerly plunge may develop later Saturday and for easter sunday. It is a cold outlook notably cold on high ground in the north.

This is from the BBC report:

"Over the past half a century, snow has fallen across low-lying areas of the UK during 12 Easter breaks - the last time was the Easter of 1998."

Excuse me? Easter Day 2008 we got 4 inches of snow in Suffolk almost gone by lunchtime, but still.

Posted

Hi,

Do you think I could see at least some falling snow or even some lying snow this week? Of course I live in Liverpool and do you think we could be in the firing line as I have read that north western areas are favored looking at the snow risk and snow depth maps the risk seems to include us I know we had lying snow in Liverpool in April 2008 but most of it had melted by lunchtime do you think if I get lying snow it will melt away quite quickly due to the stronger sun at this time of year?

Hi,

Do you think I could see at least some falling snow or even some lying snow this week? Of course I live in Liverpool and do you think we could be in the firing line as I have read that north western areas are favored looking at the snow risk and snow depth maps the risk seems to include us I know we had lying snow in Liverpool in April 2008 but most of it had melted by lunchtime do you think if I get lying snow it will melt away quite quickly due to the stronger sun at this time of year?

I can't see any snow lasting for any length of time, although that depends how deep it is :lol: I'm looking forward to the 18z and I fully intend to get the ramp dusted off some time soon :) :) :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
10033006_2818.gifyahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Posted

Covering of snow down to about 150 metres here - totally unexpected!

Any other Scots reporting snow?

Covering of snow down to about 150 metres here - totally unexpected!

Any other Scots reporting snow?

Nothing but grey and murky with light rain here, although the temp is quite low.

Where's my TrafficScotland linky gone...

Edit: Nothing much about...nice and sunny up north though :lol:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

What's anyones opinions of ni seeing this fall as snow tomorrow?? I really cnt see temps dropping to 2-3c wouldn't the cloud stop this unless a front is coming through before band???

this mornings bbc forecast is suggesting ni might get quite alot and you might well get your 2-3c maxs. fortunately i'll be much milder! lol 6-7c predicted.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

this mornings bbc forecast is suggesting ni might get quite alot and you might well get your 2-3c maxs. fortunately i'll be much milder! lol 6-7c predicted.

I don't know about that 3c and rising but if rain comes temps will drop and will manage that..but I live near too stations that are always the first to rise lol and one of them says 6c and the other says 4c I doubt it's 6c!! It's very depressing when we are 5c and everywhere else is 3c I know without a doubt it'll be mild here it always rises even though everywhere else is dropping!! Horrible'

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

You have got to be kidding me. Were you asleep for the whole of winter? SE had it better than many other places.

Simple common sense and experiance dictated that the previous predictions of heavy snow around the home counties was unlikely, it was always in deep FI.

Strider

True. It was at times exceptional we have had a truly spectacular winter - for a change! Yep, with a northerly it takes a prolonged northerly to reach us - I was joking in part. However, the 528 does encompass my area - I think it will be sleet, any precip that falls that is! lol! Cheers! :drinks:

Edited by snowfish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

...... the interesting mix continues this morning, typical, normal, spring weather which will be most welcome!

no real cold in evidence, no real warmth either in this 'cuspal' time of the year... pretty much too late now for a proper cold spell, pretty much too early for a proper warm spell (yes there are exceptions). oh what a difference a week or two makes either way.

The models suggest a cold snap which of course at this time of year leads to snow on northern hills.

People talking of snow on Brighton beach are I fear being a tad optimistic (at present)

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Snowing big fluffy flakes here in East Kilbride at about 200-250m asl. Couple of centimetres accumulated so far. Nothing but drizzly rain so far down in Motherwell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

Personally I think the 00z keeps 850's way to high in the East, The 528 damline avoids the East Mids until early Thursday now. I feer the South are being very optimistic if they are expecting Heavy Snow. The NAE doesn't show any Snow in the next 48 hours for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland only.

I don't think anyone in the south has been expecting any snow at all, be it heavy or light - touch wood it stays that way as well.

Posted

Snow down to about 150m just N of here.

Is it me or are the 00z's showing a bigger warm sector in the low and reducing the snow risk somewhat? West looks the best place to be.

BBC showing lots of snow in S and C Scotland for tonight tommorrow morning though.

Posted

yea i cant see snow at all ... i did yesterday with 3c maxes but now its rising and is 4c... theres no way! unless the rain hurrys up as im sure itll keep the temps down.. the suns even out here.dry.gifcray.gif

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

I think there have been quite a few that have . To be fair all of last week showed Snow in the South. Then the Weekend has downgraded precipitation totals, 850's in South , The length of the Cold and the Minimum Temps. In other words Friday's charts for Tuesday (4 days) Were pretty much useless.

its been downgraded for everywhere with some places in belfast reporting 7c and its 4c here. the rain better hurry up!diablo.gifcray.gif the snows gonna have to be heavy and if it is im almost certain of lying snow

Posted

its been downgraded for everywhere with some places in belfast reporting 7c and its 4c here. the rain better hurry up!diablo.gifcray.gif the snows gonna have to be heavy and if it is im almost certain of lying snow

Good luck the latest Forecasts do seem, to favour NI , Although your more inline during tomorrow . Heavy and Disruptive Snow for Northern Ireland , and Central and Southern Scotland from tonight into Wednesday according to the BBC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Not looking great for here now, looks like the snow risk will be further north and west until maybe Wednesday when the North East could have a better chance.

Think I'll bring my camera to work tomorrow and Wednesday and maybe head onto the moors after work, there should be snow up there at close to 500m.

Looking forward to the updated warnings from the Met Office this morning.