Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The forecast precipitation amount for this area has been dramatically reduced over the past couple of days from between 60 and 70 mm at one point to around 18 mm on the 06z GFS.

The Met' Office weather advisory has also been removed so, all in all, I'm not expecting anything of any note to happen here. Perhaps a thin snow cover at some point on Wednesday!

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Had a few flakes of global warming this morning. Fully expect more overnight tonight.

Ah Mondy,

It looks like you're a satellite picture short of a good dumping mate dry.gif

Big Innes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmm I hope I see some snow down here in the low ground of the Midlands before this cold spell has finished.

I would say at the moment my chances are 30%. Tuesday overnight into Wednesday looks our best shot before melting during Wednesday here in the Midlands.

Posted

Was really excited about this cold spell few days ago, but now appears that it may only affect Southern Scotland, the far North of England & Northern Ireland. Weds looks like the best prospect for wintry stuff here. Currently cold rain...temp 4.4oC

Was really excited about this cold spell few days ago, but now appears that it may only affect Southern Scotland, the far North of England & Northern Ireland. Weds looks like the best prospect for wintry stuff here. Currently cold rain...temp 4.4oC

You'll need to move house then :lol: I think about moving house all the time when the weather is weathering in other parts of the UK but not where I am.

I see the Met-O have extended the advisory for snow and rain on Wednesday into the west of Scotland too. It is all as clear as mud. Part of me wants another huge dump of snow since the last lot has now melted, but it would be a little inconvenient as I need to get MrsCatch to the hospital on Wednesday...

Posted

This morning's snow in East Kilbride is pretty much all gone in drizzle and 4C. Looks very marginal but seems like a good chance of catching some more over the next couple of days.

Posted

The NAE is really agressive in terms of how much snow it has falling in N.Ireland, gives about 15-25cms in general, though snow amounts won't reflect how much snow has fallen given there will be some melt during afternoon hours, but if the front does linger we will see decent amounts build up, esp over higher ground and where the heaviest of the front sits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Already some sleetyness in the heaviers burtst of rain here in Consett, about 250m.

Quite a surprise so soon, hopefully this evening and during the night we could get some proper snow on higher ground. A drive up to the moors looks good for tomorrow and wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Already some sleetiness in the heavier bursts here in Northern Ireland too. Currently 5c after dropping from 7.8c earlier this morning.

It would be fantastic to see a huge dumping, most of the snow we had over winter was small accumulations.

I'm weary though, its very late in the season.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Temperatures rising as milder air pushes north. Sadly the cold spell is now a short lived cool spell if you're lucky. Some heavy looking rain around Hampshire area which maybe of interest later. All the fun much further north than earlier.

Already some sleetiness in the heavier bursts here in Northern Ireland too. Currently 5c after dropping from 7.8c earlier this morning.

It would be fantastic to see a huge dumping, most of the snow we had over winter was small accumulations.

I'm weary though, its very late in the season.

5ºC with a dew point of 3ºC at Glasgow Airport so a tad on the warm side at the moment. Hopefully once the rain/precip band moves north this will bring the temp down a bit. Only time will tell but after the winter we've just had nothing will surprise me now.

Edit: Some low dew points on the east coast, 0ºC in Dundee and -4ºC up in Aberdeen.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

5ºC with a dew point of 3ºC at Glasgow Airport so a tad on the warm side at the moment. Hopefully once the rain/precip band moves north this will bring the temp down a bit. Only time will tell but after the winter we've just had nothing will surprise me now.

Edit: Some low dew points on the east coast, 0ºC in Dundee and -4ºC up in Aberdeen.

4C/2C here and the precipitation has started falling - had 2mm this morning all of which was lying snow on the hills but has now melted. Have had 0.5mm of rain so far since the band started but it is fairly light and I expect that as night falls so will the temperature.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Yea 4.5c here and just rain with odd burst of sleet though further uphill it is sleeting on verge of snow.... the BBC weather video Is on there site you see it changing from midnight .. Is this front stalling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Hmmm I hope I see some snow down here in the low ground of the Midlands before this cold spell has finished.

I would say at the moment my chances are 30%. Tuesday overnight into Wednesday looks our best shot before melting during Wednesday here in the Midlands.

Yeah, I agree. It would be a shame not to get anything from this cool/cold period. Probably not the most inviting wind direction, although should hopefully still bring in enough cold air to give us a chance of some sleet/snow.

Maybe a chance for some wintry weather on Thursday, as well, if we're lucky.

What ever happens the snow shield could have a hard time staying intact, because should those two days fail to break the snow shield, then Easter Sunday could be our last chance with another possible occurance of some Northerly winds and some good dam numbers. So fear not! We'll make sure our snow barriers get a beating.diablo.gif

Sure looks like some of you in Scotland have had thier snow shields wounded and cracked with some sleet and snow, with more breakages tonight. smile.gif

Posted

Mountain weather 'planning outlook' below from mwis.org.uk seems to suggest mega-snowfall over the Southern Uplands:

"Cold throughout the coming week and the Easter Weekend. By Wednesday (31st) there will have been a considerable dump of snow from the eastern and southern Highlands of Scotland south to Cumbria, with the whole of the Southern Uplands bearing the brunt - up to 3 ft of 'level' snow will lie in enormous drifts. Beyond, further snow will fall almost daily, mainly on northern and western mountains, as clusters of heavy showers come in, although at low levels there will be gradual thawing."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Positively balmy weather out there atm...I'm seeing temps at 11.9C, everything moving up from the SW...Some cold spell....lol....Interesting to see how GFS (yet again) overcooked the precip and snow potential in the run up...What looked like 'snowmageddon' for the midlands a couple of days ago now reads occasionally moderate rain with a hint of slightly colder air later on in the week as the LP is dragged off to the east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yes, the air temp here is now 3C from 4C an hour ago but there is already sleetiness in the light precipitation and I am not that far from the coast. May well get something as it gets heavier. A certainty inland I would think.

Positively balmy weather out there atm...I'm seeing temps at 11.9C, everything moving up from the SW...Some cold spell....lol....Interesting to see how GFS (yet again) overcooked the precip and snow potential in the run up...What looked like 'snowmageddon' for the midlands a couple of days ago now reads occasionally moderate rain with a hint of slightly colder air later on in the week as the LP is dragged off to the east

Did GFS overcook it or just have it too far south? There are many areas under threat of a severe spell of weather; either rain or snow with some very high rainfall totals predicted by not just the GFS, but the NAE too:

post-2844-12698778636355_thumb.gif

It's a wee bit unfair to have a go at the GFS about overcooking when it really just made a mess of the placing of the low??

Looks like Ireland is in for an event.

Aye, somewhere out of Scotland, Ireland, N.England and N.Ireland is going to get a pasting. A complete and utter pasting. If this was mid-January we'd all be going mental. Maybe because it's the end of March no-one can quite believe this? There is potential here for a snow event that will be talked about for years to come.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Latest BBC forecast is 10-15cm for low ground in N Ireland and Scotland and over a foot over high ground. So for most a reasonabley deep fall of snow, but nothing memorable unless you are above 150-200m.

Edited by 10123

Latest BBC forecast is 10-15cm for low ground in N Ireland and Scotland and over a foot over high ground. So for most a reasonabley deep fall of snow, but nothing memorable unless you are above 150-200m.

10-15cm is still a memorable fall since it is the 29th March today!! I mean seriously?! :) Some winters didn't have that kind of snow :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Did GFS overcook it or just have it too far south? There are many areas under threat of a severe spell of weather; either rain or snow with some very high rainfall totals predicted by not just the GFS, but the NAE too:

It's a wee bit unfair to have a go at the GFS about overcooking when it really just made a mess of the placing of the low??

IMO GFS seriously overcooked it....The positioning of the LP hasnt really changed much to my (admittedly untrained) eye over the past few days....My thoughts were that Scotland and NI were always going to get the brunt of cold air and associated wintry weather...The precip totals are nowhere near what GFS was predicting 48-72 hours previously....Even on the 12z GFS, it stills wants snow in the midlands on Wednesday with moderate intensity...I just cant see it, thats all :lol:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

I would be more than happy with 10-15cm!

Agree re. the GFS, it actually got the pattern right, just struggled with the placement of the low. Obviously not good from my POV but it would be wrong to say the GFS got this one massively wrong as it hasn't.

Posted

10-15cm is still a memorable fall since it is the 29th March today!! I mean seriously?! :) Some winters didn't have that kind of snow :lol:

Totally agree could be very memorable event. Combination of strong winds and heavy snow could mean some of the worst conditions of the year in S Scotland/NI over high ground.

Combination of strong winds and snow were lacking this winter across most of the UK.

Mark