Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

http://www.ruv.is/innlendar-frettir

The above is updated now and again. Translate it to English and it makes a little sense.

The following is about more ash this evening and lightning too - http://www.ruv.is/frett/mikid-oskufall-vid-vik

all makes sense now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Hello all, i am seeing lots of flashes from this webcam http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

lots of forked lightning around now

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hello all, i am seeing lots of flashes from this webcam http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

lots of forked lightning around now

Indeed there is. :p

A good indication that the plume must be still going strong i would of thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Indeed there is. :p

A good indication that the plume must be still going strong i would of thought.

This is amazing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

I'm stuck in Florida I think, was due to fly home tomorrow afternoon but not looking too good for us, what do you guys think will be the situation as of 4pm GMT. They can only offer us a return alternative in 10 days time due to the amount of people having to be moved .....

Posted

The 18z GFS and the 12z UKMO don't look good, they have somewhat backed away from the idea of the upper low coming far enough east to shunt the upper pattern far enough east. Hopefully the models revert back to thier 0z ideas, but either way the models are suggestive of the plume being sent towards the UK till at least Thursday, so I'd expect very little flight activity till then...and this volcano really looks like one of those ones that will be going on for a real long time, must have a heck of a big 'storage area'

Posted

Also looks quite likely this will end up being a billion 'dollar' disaster to Europe, there is a small window possibly still on Saturday night for some planes but the wind flow may not be enough to get rid of the ash before wind shift back to a northerly again.

Posted

I flew right over that area and had a great view of it too with clear skies back in July 2007.

Feels like the models are going to become very unreliable past 3-4 days in coming weeks. I wonder if the airline industry had a general "master plan" for a post-Icelandic-volcano season or year, one would think it would have to be a predictable risk over a 20-50 year time window that massive disruptions could take place, just as civil unrest or war could produce such results. There is likely some sort of insurance and/or reserve contingency in place but not for the individuals caught up in the chaos (I realize the plume is not that bad yet, but only a bit of chaos is still chaos).

Posted

One of the few planes which was heading to the UK was the San Francisco to Glasgow flight (supposed to be Heathrow but Glasgow was - at the time - the only airport in the UK capable of allowing it to land)turned around to SFO 3 hours later.

Posted
Saturday April 17: Latest update at 0415 (UK Time)

Following the latest information from the MET Office, NATS advises that restrictions across UK controlled airspace have been extended until at least 1900 (UK Time) today Saturday 17 April and that restrictions to Scottish and Manchester airspace have been re-applied until the same time.

Current forecasts show that the situation is worsening throughout Saturday. We are continuing to look for windows of opportunity to handle individual flights in UK controlled airspace.

The next update will be at approximately 0900 (UK time) as planned.

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 2045

The volcanic ash cloud continues to affect UK airspace. Following the latest update from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until at least 1300 (UK time) on Saturday April 17.

There are currently no airspace restrictions in Scotland, Northern Ireland and in an area over the North Sea that includes the Shetlands and Orkney Isles. Manchester, Liverpool and all airports North of those may be available from 0400 (UK time) – 1000 (UK time) for departures to and arrivals from the North and West subject to individual co-ordination. However, please be advised that the situation is continuously changing. Forecasts indicate that the ash cloud is expected to return over Northern England at 1000 (UK time) and it is likely that restrictions will be reintroduced.

Please note these arrangements do not mean that all flights will operate. Anyone hoping to travel today or tomorrow should contact their airline before going to the airport.

We are looking for opportunities when the ash cloud moves sufficiently for us to enable some flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC.

We will review further Met Office information and at 0900 (UK time) on Saturday we will advise further arrangements.

We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

www.nats.co.uk

Posted

I'm stuck in Florida I think, was due to fly home tomorrow afternoon but not looking too good for us, what do you guys think will be the situation as of 4pm GMT. They can only offer us a return alternative in 10 days time due to the amount of people having to be moved .....

Worse places to be stuck though hey :p

Just like to add that it looks like the volcano is spewing again quite a lot.

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

Edited by Tom D

Posted

where did you get those last two images Mondy, the detail is fantastic.

LO

http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos/en

Live feed from the Vodafone webcam - as you say, great detail!

My gaffer was due to fly out to Florida yesterday - been re-scheduled for next Sunday (as it stands subject to change!!)

The poor bugger - last time he went on holiday out there, the flight was delayed a week (outbound journey) because of a hurricane!

Posted

Wow, that's unlucky — not good. I have sympathy as I was due to travel to the US on Thursday, if I had travelled 1 day earlier I'd be stuck there too. No-one knows when UK airspace will properly re-open, but it's going to be at least several days unless there's an unexpected change in wind direction and the volcano stops spewing. Have you thought about getting a boat back to the UK? Sounds daft, but it maybe the fastest option.

http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos/en

Live feed from the Vodafone webcam - as you say, great detail!

My gaffer was due to fly out to Florida yesterday - been re-scheduled for next Sunday (as it stands subject to change!!)

The poor bugger - last time he went on holiday out there, the flight was delayed a week (outbound journey) because of a hurricane!

Maybe next year, your boss should head to Bognor?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No flights until 1am at the earliest tomorrow now!

Posted

slight hint of rotten egg gas smell in air this morning at 06.00 plus my car had what may have been grey dust in the frost looked at cars thet had been stood at work (Oxford) all night they had a light grey covering of very small particules on them.