Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Polar Ice

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think you're right songster. Now we have large stretches of thin ice the 'swell' that the high tides bring (Esp. the spring ones) must rupture the pack.

Over early spring the ice would then 'heal' with new ice in the leads but this ice will be weaker than the rest and form lines of weakness throughout the pack.

If you look at the area you've highlighted you'll see a lot of the ice is in 'rounded' floes already having had their edges knocked off. The buoy data shows a southerly drift ,towards Svalbard and Fram, for all this ice.

Across the Basin you'll see similar in Beaufort sea area and this ice, along with the old perennial embedded within, is on the move towards the Bering Straights.

Posted

What we need to nail down is this notion of variability of sea ice Y.S.

I'm sure we all agree that ice extent varies, according to the many varied drivers, and that in the past the 'long cycle' phases (like the PDO) have lead to increases/decreases of ice cover over decadal timescales. None of this is in question.

Have we ever had sea ice so depleted in the past (in the past 600,000 yrs that is) as we see today. You, amongst other posters, seem to feel that it has and that , this being the case, the current Arctic Ice loss is nothing alarming.

I feel very differently about the situation.

I believe that science is telling us that we have NOT had such a depleted pack before (in the span of human existence) and that the wrecking of both the halocline and the 'old perennial' has placed the Arctic in it's current 'death spiral' (as some would put it) with no way for a 'recovery' to occur without the depth of cold,fresh water (halocline layer) across the surface of the ocean. If this layer formed under the conditions present at the height of the last glaciation how do we expect it to reform during an interglacial? what does this mean for the Arctic Ocean?

I feel it means that ice thickness will be pegged at current values, I think this is why the ICESat DAT showed such a uniform thinness in the pack from 04 to 08 (Kwok, et al) and that this years IceBridge and Cryosat2 data will show a continuation of this 'thin' ice trend.

If 2nd and 3rd year ice can now only manage that 2m+ depth (as occurs in the well mixed 'southern ocean' each southern winter) then we will always have a seasonal pack in waiting for the foreseeable future.

As for any change in the 'energy' the Earth receives. 12.64 w/m sq is what we get at the pole come solstice. With an intact pack 90% and more bounced straight back into space. With dark water now available 80% of that energy is absorbed. You feel this 'negligable' , I feel this addition, to a previously balanced system, important.

I do not believe in 'runaway warming', the planet is too clever to allow that, I do believe in a 'step change' to a warmer carbon cycle setting (as we have had in our geological past) and that is what I fear we are living through.

Hi GW,

But the point is ..... you do not know for fact ... as we do not have detailed ice-measurements that go back beyond a few decades.

We do however know that the Vikings colonised, farmed and hunted the Western coasts and southern shores of Greenland ... and that they were there and prospering for several hundreds of years. I would suggest to you that that could mean a lot warmer conditions were prevalent during this period over the Northern hemisphere ..... further backed up by various farming records (I reference the book ' The Little Ice age' here) - showing stable crop harvests and plentiful food over the medieval warm period for Britain and Europe.

Perhaps the Arctic was magically spared this warm period ....... perhaps not.

Y.S

There is also plenty of data aailable to at least suggest that such a situation was alos

Posted

Indeed, there is much evidence of Iron Age peoples practising arable farming in upland parts of Northern Britain - which are now far too cold, bleak and wet to grow anything but grass and heather.

It has been much warmer for prolonged periods in (NW Europe at least) than the current climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Hi GW,

But the point is ..... you do not know for fact ... as we do not have detailed ice-measurements that go back beyond a few decades.

We do however know that the Vikings colonised, farmed and hunted the Western coasts and southern shores of Greenland ... and that they were there and prospering for several hundreds of years. I would suggest to you that that could mean a lot warmer conditions were prevalent during this period over the Northern hemisphere ..... further backed up by various farming records (I reference the book ' The Little Ice age' here) - showing stable crop harvests and plentiful food over the medieval warm period for Britain and Europe.

Y.S

There is also plenty of data aailable to at least suggest that such a situation was alos

According to our family legend

My great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather said to my

great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather (ie his son)

In the ‘old days’ there was ice up here in the summer lad.nea.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Hi GW,

Y.S

Did the vikings 'prosper' or hang in there?

Is it not possible they found land that, like any put under the plow for the first time, was good but that they soon depleted it? Isn't the evidence that animals spent most of the year there in sheds and that the hay harvest was vital to their year to year existence? Further, isn't it the case that agriculture can be practiced, with some sucess, now in the same kind of places the vikings survived in?

I think Jared Diamond is worth reading wrt all this - but, hey, perhaps he says the wrong things :winky:

Posted

They must have managed pretty well for several generations.

I think any reserve of built up fertility would be exhausted with 10 or 20 years.

It just got colder and summers got wetter and shorter so they couldn't gather enough hay anymore.

Posted

Ok, so alot of you think that, if the alot of the arctic ice melts in the summer, then it won't be able to reflect heat back into space as it does now?

But what will happen to cloud cover and ocean currents? No-one seems to be thinking about that much?

Also, is it that maybe because the arctic ocean is less frozen now than we are used to (and i stress "that we are USED to"), could this be the reason that the jet stream has been on holiday in africa and southern europe for the past three years?

There's simply too much speculation and theory, and people seem to ignor the obvious, that we in an interglacial and arctic ice will melt.

Posted

Ok, so alot of you think that, if the alot of the arctic ice melts in the summer, then it won't be able to reflect heat back into space as it does now?

But what will happen to cloud cover and ocean currents? No-one seems to be thinking about that much?

Also, is it that maybe because the arctic ocean is less frozen now than we are used to (and i stress "that we are USED to"), could this be the reason that the jet stream has been on holiday in africa and southern europe for the past three years?

There's simply too much speculation and theory, and people seem to ignor the obvious, that we in an interglacial and arctic ice will melt.

So, it's just coincidence the ice is melting now as we add ghg to the atmosphere? And all those scientists they don't know anything, they should ask you since you know the obvious answer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

So, it's just coincidence the ice is melting now as we add ghg to the atmosphere? And all those scientists they don't know anything, they should ask you since you know the obvious answer?

But only a slight percentage of ice melt has been attributed to the increase in GHG's, at best they can be said to have augmented natural cyclical melt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

absolutely theres more twists to this topic to come,

im certain of this,

its often the case that when things look good with increases around the arctic/polar area that when there is a melt going on they seem to forget this is pretty normal in todays climate.

but some will pounce on this to try to force there beliefs onto others even though the fact is its not the end of the world and that by mid winter in thease areas we could be talking about amazing increases nobody really can predict 100% what will happen.

what is clear is the comments about interglacial period that is the key to much of this,but we are also in deep solar minimum with features starting to take effect ie like the jet stream volcanic activity solar particals cloud cover ect ect.

which areas have warmed the quickest durning this inter glacial period well its said the arctic then i would except this is pretty normal,now we wait to see what years of minimum and other forcings do.

we are also heading fast into a la nina state so i wonder what will happen next in this region.

ok so melt has been noticable,

but what do you expect when some pounce on every little bit of negitive news and use it for the own agenda because next year we could be talking once again about an increase.

climate in anyone area is never the same year in year out.

Posted

We really don't know enough to say whether it's coincedence or not, but common sense dictates that if we are coming out of an inter glacial....ice will melt, and seeing as the only place on earth that ice predominates is the arctic and the other place without bears, then we will notice the changes more?

I've always been of the opinion that "science" is the religion of looking for the most simple answer in the most complicated way.

Posted

Only 05' and 06' to cross now and we'll be in a more representative position for 'ice extent ' this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Only 05' and 06' to cross now and we'll be in a more representative position for 'ice extent ' this year.

Interesting now IJIS is 'playing ball' its the gossple again whistling.gif

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

I thought when it didnt want to play it was no good ?

Early July is when we start to see real divergence (historically)

Posted

We really don't know enough to say whether it's coincedence or not, but common sense dictates that if we are coming out of an inter glacial....ice will melt, and seeing as the only place on earth that ice predominates is the arctic and the other place without bears, then we will notice the changes more?

We're not 'coming out of an inter-glacial' we're in one, and have you not heard of the Antarctic and that the rate of melting there is much less? It's not as simple as you claim.

I've always been of the opinion that "science" is the religion of looking for the most simple answer in the most complicated way.

Like at the LHC for example? You think they are religious, those physicists there?

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

Insofar as volcanic influence is concerned ,we are seeing predominantly northly airflows driving the ash plume south (and not North) so 'ash' over the north is not an issue.

The lack of SO2 from this eruption would also mean that any 'cooling' from this tiny eruption is minimal........wait for Katla if you want to see 'impacts' on a global scale!!!

Hi GW,

Just a quick note - what do you mean by "the lack of SO2"? There's plenty of SO2 being pumped out of Eyjafjallajokull, as can be seen here:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/ash_plume.html

The "minimal cooling" is as a result of the volume of material erupting and the height in the atmosphere which it is attaining. There have been various parallels with Pinatubo to emphasise this point - Pinatubo caused maybe 0.5C of temp decreases and the current eruption, being on a smaller scale, would presumably have less of an effect.

Of course, the duration of this eruption may far outstrip the duration of Pinatubo's, in which case volume levels may be comparable - height may still be an issue, of course, but then Katla may remedy this if it decides to go kablooie.

CB

Posted

Interesting now IJIS is 'playing ball' its the gossple again whistling.gif

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

I thought when it didnt want to play it was no good ?

Early July is when we start to see real divergence (historically)

A feature of that graph is how all the lines crowd together in Spring and Autumn.

Look at any year and what happens in the crowded area doesn't mean much for later.(either way!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

We only need to maintain our current melt rate for just another 5 or 6 days to be bottom of the last 8 years, which even if 2010 was near the top, it would still be way below the long term average. I just really don't see any positives there at the moment, the Arctic just had an anomalously mild winter, several years now of record or near record low extents leaving the ice in a bad state. Currently we are still in a negative AO and NAO, so either this stays and the cold continues to be pumped out of the Arctic, or it changes and Eyjafjallajokull send a load of ash onto the ice for the peak of summer!

The only positives I can see are just based on hope, like the prolonged solar minimums lag time will end soon and we will see dramatic cooling, or that the ice will just recover despite all the stuff I mentioned earlier.

Sorry for seeming so pessimistic, 'tis just how I see things at the moment!

Posted

I'm glad 'realism' is overcoming claims of 'pessimism' here.

I know what I have had to say regarding the continued collapse of the Arctic ice over the past 3 years was unpleasant but it was accurate ( even if I needed Dr B. to be there to see the continued collapse of the perennial that folk had argued was not occurring!!!).

I know we all need a bit of sunshine to make life a little more 'pleasant' in it's drabber moments. If what you see occurring in the Arctic worries you and you find it drags you down then stay away from all that we may be potentially doing to our planet (and the implications this holds for mankind) or you'll find yourself blaming the messenger too and labelling them 'doomsayer' or some such (which is most unpleasant when all you want to do is raise awareness to the issue as you perceive it and hopefully find a way to have been incorrect in your concerns).

The collapse of the Arctic was never a competition (sorry stewf) and ,to me, it seems that the folk who have comforted themselves on ice extent alone will be worst hit by this summers min.

C-Bob, agreed and agreed. Still no news of Katla apart from ice melt at the summit and a few shallow quakes.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I'm glad 'realism' is overcoming claims of 'pessimism' here.

I know what I have had to say regarding the continued collapse of the Arctic ice over the past 3 years was unpleasant but it was accurate ( even if I needed Dr B. to be there to see the continued collapse of the perennial that folk had argued was not occurring!!!).

I know we all need a bit of sunshine to make life a little more 'pleasant' in it's drabber moments. If what you see occurring in the Arctic worries you and you find it drags you down then stay away from all that we may be potentially doing to our planet (and the implications this holds for mankind) or you'll find yourself blaming the messenger too and labelling then 'doomsayer' or some such (which is most unpleasant when all you want to do is raise awareness to the issue as you perceive it and hopefully find a way to have been incorrect in your concerns).

The collapse of the Arctic was never a competition (sorry stewf) and ,to me, it seems that the folk who have comforted themselves on ice extent alone will be worst hit by this summers min.

C-Bob, agreed and agreed. Still no news of Katla apart from ice melt at the summit and a few shallow quakes.

You do make me laugh GW. Collapse of the Arctic etc, etc lol lets see where we stand come September.

Posted

You do make me laugh GW. Collapse of the Arctic etc, etc lol lets see where we stand come September.

Yes we will c.c., yes we will.

And ,pray tell, how do you see the ice fairing this fine summer?

Are you want to give your understandings a public airing or are we to play our cards close?

Will we be above or below the past 3 years of record lows??smile.gif

Posted

The Canadian Press

Published on Thursday, May. 20, 2010 2:23AM EDT Last updated on Thursday, May. 20, 2010 2:24AM EDT

Arctic sea ice is on track to recede to a record low this year, suggesting that northern waters free of summer ice are coming faster than anyone thought.

The latest satellite information shows ice coverage is equal to what it was in 2007, the lowest year on record, and is declining faster than it did that year.

“Could we break another record this year? I think it's quite possible,†said Mark Serreze of the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo.

“We are going to lose the summer sea-ice cover. We can't go back.â€

In April, the centre published data showing that sea ice had almost recovered to the 20-year average. That ignited a flurry of interest on climate changemag-glass_10x10.gif skeptic blogs.

But much of that ice was thin and new. The warmest April on record in the Arctic made short work of it.

Ice cover has already fallen back to where it was in 2007 at this time of year and is disappearing at a faster pace than it did then. Dr. Serreze said winds, cloud cover or other weathermag-glass_10x10.gif conditions could slow the melt, but he points out that the decline is likely to speed up even more in June and July.

“Will [thawing] this year be particularly fast?†he asked. “We don't know. We really don't know.â€

One of Canada's top sea-ice experts suggests things might even be worse than Dr. Serreze thinks. His data could be underestimating the collapse of summer ice cover, said David Barber of the University of Manitoba. Researchers can't learn anything from satellite data about the state or thickness of the ice.

“What we think is thick multiyear ice late in the summer is in fact not,†he said. “It's heavily decayed first-year ice. When that stuff starts to reform in the fall, we think it's multiyear ice, but it's not.â€

Arctic explorers and scientific expeditions are finding more open water and untrustworthy ice ever, Prof. Barber said.

He pointed out the Arctic continued to lose multiyear ice even in 2008 and 2009, when total ice coverage rebounded somewhat.

True multiyear ice – the thick, hard stuff that stops ships – now comprises about 18 per cent of the Arctic ice pack. In 1981, when Prof. Barber first went north, that figure was 90 per cent.

“This is all just part of a trajectory moving toward a seasonally ice-free Arctic,†he said. “That's happening more quickly than we thought it would happen.â€

Once northern waters are clear in the summer, there will be little difference between navigating the Northwest Passage and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, he suggested.

He recounts sailing through degraded ice in an icebreaker. The ship's top speed in open water was 13.7 knots. Its speed through the decayed ice was 13 knots.

“It was almost like it didn't exist.â€

======================================================================================================

So we are hearing the 'big Guns' in Arctic sea ice predicting possible records this year!

Posted

The Canadian Press

Published on Thursday, May. 20, 2010 2:23AM EDT Last updated on Thursday, May. 20, 2010 2:24AM EDT

Arctic sea ice is on track to recede to a record low this year, suggesting that northern waters free of summer ice are coming faster than anyone thought.

The latest satellite information shows ice coverage is equal to what it was in 2007, the lowest year on record, and is declining faster than it did that year.

“Could we break another record this year? I think it's quite possible,†said Mark Serreze of the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo.

“We are going to lose the summer sea-ice cover. We can't go back.â€

In April, the centre published data showing that sea ice had almost recovered to the 20-year average. That ignited a flurry of interest on climate changemag-glass_10x10.gif skeptic blogs.

But much of that ice was thin and new. The warmest April on record in the Arctic made short work of it.

Ice cover has already fallen back to where it was in 2007 at this time of year and is disappearing at a faster pace than it did then. Dr. Serreze said winds, cloud cover or other weathermag-glass_10x10.gif conditions could slow the melt, but he points out that the decline is likely to speed up even more in June and July.

“Will [thawing] this year be particularly fast?†he asked. “We don't know. We really don't know.â€

One of Canada's top sea-ice experts suggests things might even be worse than Dr. Serreze thinks. His data could be underestimating the collapse of summer ice cover, said David Barber of the University of Manitoba. Researchers can't learn anything from satellite data about the state or thickness of the ice.

“What we think is thick multiyear ice late in the summer is in fact not,†he said. “It's heavily decayed first-year ice. When that stuff starts to reform in the fall, we think it's multiyear ice, but it's not.â€

Arctic explorers and scientific expeditions are finding more open water and untrustworthy ice ever, Prof. Barber said.

He pointed out the Arctic continued to lose multiyear ice even in 2008 and 2009, when total ice coverage rebounded somewhat.

True multiyear ice – the thick, hard stuff that stops ships – now comprises about 18 per cent of the Arctic ice pack. In 1981, when Prof. Barber first went north, that figure was 90 per cent.

“This is all just part of a trajectory moving toward a seasonally ice-free Arctic,†he said. “That's happening more quickly than we thought it would happen.â€

Once northern waters are clear in the summer, there will be little difference between navigating the Northwest Passage and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, he suggested.

He recounts sailing through degraded ice in an icebreaker. The ship's top speed in open water was 13.7 knots. Its speed through the decayed ice was 13 knots.

“It was almost like it didn't exist.â€

======================================================================================================

So we are hearing the 'big Guns' in Arctic sea ice predicting possible records this year!

Predicting yes, will it actually happen? And if it does what does that prove, that AGW caused it? Of course not!!

Posted

Two points GW, first what proxy records where used? And secondly the author Kate Ravilious is a former Guardian wag, now the evidence presented is unsubstantiated to say the least. If I was to post an article claiming the complete opposite, and it was from a right wing blog, then you and the rest of the warmers would slate it! Food for thought GW?

Posted

Trust me, Ice free summer artic is coming wether you like it or not. Get used to it, We're almost there now. As above, I still don't believe manmade global warming is the cause. Any netweather member who wants to place a bet of £20 AGAINST a record low min summer extent this year is very welcome indeed. PM me!

And no, I'm NOT a warmist, I shout at the telly when BBC blame man for artic sea ice loss, Warmists make my blood boil!

Edited by Chassisbot