Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Time for some new safety limits chaps. BA to the rescue again.

Mmmm from the met office

post-2404-12729122391376_thumb.png

Posted

Fog is completely down on the webcams. Ah well, an early night is needed anyway. :)

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

I initially thought the tremors had gone really low but looking at the above chart it gives the overal picture, that in fact they are still high even if a lot lower than earlier today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Western Isles airports now also at risk of temporary closure on Tuesday.

Posted

Western Isles airports now also at risk of temporary closure on Tuesday.

John Holmes will have got off to Cypress today, will he get back though? Hope he is going for more than a week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

John Holmes will have got off to Cypress today, will he get back though? Hope he is going for more than a week.

Here it comes:

The skies over parts of Scotland were closed as a precaution tonight after an increased concentration of volcanic ash was detected in the atmosphere, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said.

The ash is forecast to exceed the safe level agreed by the CAA and airlines in the Outer Hebrides, off the west coast of Scotland, tomorrow.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1271346/Iceland-volcano-Ash-cloud-returns-grounds-flights-Ireland.html#ixzz0mtt11QAl

No sign of much change in this wind direction for the next week, according to Metcheck.

Posted

nope

not DUE to leave until next Monday

this the latest

http://news.bbc.co.u...ope/8658738.stm

never mind Metcheck-GFS 300mb charts way into next week are not looking good for the UK and other areas around us. Assuming the volcano churns out for that period much as it is doing at the moment, and of course that the model has the right idea, which I suspect it has.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

nope

this the latest

never mind Metcheck-GFS 300mb charts way into next week are not looking good for the UK and other areas around us. Assuming the volcano churns out for that period much as it is doing at the moment, and of course that the model has the right idea, which I suspect it has.

Oh dear! Not looking good for you, I have friends due to fly on Monday next also to Europe. I mentioned to them today that the ash cloud might not be good then, I reckon they will think I am a proper Jeremiah!

Not sure of the significance of a swarm of 12 quakes on Monday, yesterday now, under Eyjafjallajokul but the tremor graph showing a downward trend.

http://en.vedur.is/e...okull/#view=map

http://hraun.vedur.i...9/gosplott.html

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Hmmm, heads are being scratched Stateside whether tour 1 will be able to get home. This Atlantic block looks to turn into a northern block so we should be alright come the weekend.

Posted

nope

this the latest

Dont worry John BA will have new safety guidelines in by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I have heard a few times on t.v and stuff that from looking at past eruptions the Kalta volcano erupts some time around or after the Eyjafjallajokull Volcano. Does anyone know if it is likely to happen this time?

sorry if someone else has already asked the same question, i have a feeling i might of already asked it a week or so ago!

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

not strictly correct that-the next update is at noon and no flying until at least 1300 is the NATS and Irish current input.

this is the full NATS text

Latest statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption

Update on Tuesday May 4 at 0630

Based on the latest information from the Met Office and the CAA, NATS advises that, due to a heavy concentration of volcanic ash, a no-fly zone is in place in the west of Scotland and Northern Ireland, including some airports in the Western Isles from 0700 (local time) until at least 1300 (local time).

Apart from the no-fly zone, normal air traffic control operations are expected within Scottish airspace during this period, including Scottish airports, although some regulation may be required in light of operational experience.

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. NATS will continue to monitor the latest Met Office information and the CAA’s updates on the density of the ash cloud across the UK.

The next update will be at approximately 1200 (local time).

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I have heard a few times on t.v and stuff that from looking at past eruptions the Kalta volcano erupts some time around or after the Eyjafjallajokull Volcano. Does anyone know if it is likely to happen this time?

sorry if someone else has already asked the same question, i have a feeling i might of already asked it a week or so ago!

You've got too remember that Katla is a fairly active volcano so it could be just pure co-incidence that it erupted after the Eyjafjallajokull Volcano. At the moment it's sleeping quite peaceful and also doesn't share the same plumbing system. It's also overdue for an eruption so the two could coincide again or it may do nothing for several years yet.

Sadly the Volcano is hiding again although steam is visible from melt water and Lava. Tremor is down a bit so the eruption may be less active today or maybe not. We can't see. Grrrrr.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I have heard that Katla does erupt in a short geologic timescale after the current one. However, short geologic timescale is about as vague as 'in a few centuries'.

Looking at the latest chart outputs I wouldnt be surprised to see some of the West coast UK airports closed towards the start of tomorrow, (Cardiff, Bristol etc). The VAAC output also showing parts of Scotland to be affected.

Edited by john w

Posted

not strictly correct.....

Well for Irish airspace it is.....from IAA

The IAA has cleared Irish Airports to open for full operations from 1300 hrs local time today Tuesday 4th May. Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Knock, Donegal, Waterford, Kerry, Galway and Sligo may resume normal operations.

Current Information from the VAAC confirms this information. We expect operations to be normal at all Irish Airports for the rest of today.

Ireland will not fall within the predicted area of ash concentrations that exceed acceptable engine manufacturer tolerance levels.

Our decision to close earlier today was based solely on the safety risks to crews and passengers as a result of the drift south of the volcanic ash cloud caused by the north easterly winds.

The situation will be reviewed as the week goes on. Winds are forecast to continue coming from a Northerly direction for the next few days and this could lead to further problems.

There will be a further update on the IAA website at 20.00hrs tonight, Tuesday 4th May, 2010.

Edited by Doc

Posted

Voda cam allowing a few peaks at the various plumes, at the moment. Still foggy in the valley tho' so we can't see the outflow area.

http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos/en

Everything is covered in ash, no white to be seen anywhere. Looks like a different place completely. Burnt & smoking...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Well for Irish airspace it is.....from IAA

There will be a further update on the IAA website at 20.00hrs tonight, Tuesday 4th May, 2010.

tks for the info - I stand corrected

Posted

Ah ha yes can see the plume at last. Puffing nicely and less steam than previously so either the lava has stopped or it's melted enough of the glacier too flow without creating any steam.

Posted

I'm wondering how much of that valley full of fog is due to the volcano.

Probably none more likely the good old temperature inversion at work.