Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

A lot more ash coming out now as well as some superb views of this latest eruption.

Just hope the wind is still in the wrong direction for it reaching the UK as this cloud is rising much higher now.

Lava bombs too now.

Toggle the webcam for fullscreen for a truly spectacular view!

23:40pm Getting to be a very explosive eruption now.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

23:40pm Getting to be a very explosive eruption now.

Yes, I haven't seen flame on all three cams before. Dusk is just the right time to be watching!

Posted

Yes, I haven't seen flame on all three cams before. Dusk is just the right time to be watching!

Yes, it's hard to know which one to watch it is so exciting.

Like you I have never seen flame from the Hvolsvelli cam before and it seems to be an enormous amount of ash being thrown out again.

And it's a lot more than just a glow too. Glad I stayed up to watch.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

This new eruption still going strong. It seems to be showing a wider area of lava, I am now wondering if there is now more than one vent spewing lava.

Certainly on the Hvolsvelli cam it is showing a very wide area of flame lighting up the top of the mountain and looking closely it does appear to be two areas rather than one.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Eruption looks as though it's quite 'ashey' at the moment — very grey. I see the MetO site states that the eruption was reaching 3-4km again yesterday afternoon.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Eruption looks as though it's quite 'ashey' at the moment — very grey. I see the MetO site states that the eruption was reaching 3-4km again yesterday afternoon.

But didn't seem to contain much ash yesterday although that doesn't seem too matter much now with a change in wind direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

It doesn't look like there is much ash in it to me, if you check out all three different cameras.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I imagine that ,without melted ice, this will carry on like the first eruption. I think it's that mix of lots of meltwater that explodes the magma into the big ash plumes that caused us the bother.Now the ice cap/glacier is melted over the vent it'll smoke on but the ash is bigger and drops out around Iceland?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

It doesn't look like there is much ash in it to me, if you check out all three different cameras.

Loads of ash and lava spewing out late last night/early morning. You can see the proof in the colour of the snow around it.

Worth a look if anyone does any time lapse video of last night.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Fears for air passenger safety rose last night after two RAF jets declared an emergency when flying through volcanic ash.

The military suspended training flights after the Typhoon pilots noticed a sudden and dramatic loss of power in their engines.

Returning to RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire after an exercise, they encountered ash at 30,000 feet - just below the cruising altitude of civilian jets.

Post-flight checks by engineers revealed thick layers of ash behind the compressor blades on the engines of both planes.

'The ash was so thick in one of the aircraft that it was literally scooped up and put in a plastic container,' said a source at the Ministry of Defence.

In aviation circles there have been unconfirmed reports of ash deposits affecting civilian jets including a British Airways 747.

BA, Thomas Cook and the Civil Aviation Authority denied the claims. Airlines must by law report any traces.

The BA worker behind the unconfirmed report of ash damage said: 'A couple of the

crew who have landed from long-haul flights today are worried as after they landed their pilots and engineers have shown them volcanic dust on the wings and engine - in fact one engineer's words were "the engine is ****ed'

'The ash was stuck to the fan blades, this was a 747. '

British Airways said it was 'complying completely' with the new rules and insisted no ash deposits had been found.

In another incident, a Thomas Cook pilot dramatically aborted a flight after reporting an 'intense' smell of volcanic ash and an engine fault.

In dialogue posted on the internet by flight enthusiasts, the pilot of the Boeing 757 heading from Manchester to Crete, alerts air traffic controllers to the problem at 20,000ft.

In the cockpit recordings, the unnamed pilot said: 'We've had the smell of ash in the aircraft and twice one of our engine bleed-airs has failed.

'We're pretty sure it's volcanic ash.'

He took the aircraft back to Manchester airport where it landed safely.

The plane with only crew on board was heading to Crete to rescue passengers stranded there by the volcano crisis.

A spokesman for Thomas Cook said the flight had been rerouted because of a 'minor technical fault with its air conditioning' and was quickly back in service.

Read more at floodwarn.co.uk volcano pages or the forum

This article from Daily Mail : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267996/Iceland-volcano-RAF-suspends-Typhoon-flight-training-ash-engine.html#ixzz0luVAktaU

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Playing with fire.

Of course there's long term damage to think about as civilian aircraft keep exposing themselves to the ash. Thankfully the the problem with changing winds should go away for most of Europe then it's a case of long term failure due weakening of the engines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Volcano and Lights

Beautiful pictures of the volcano and the

Northern Lights.

Awesome.

BL :)

Posted

Another pic of the same type, Taken a couple of weeks ago, to me it's Heaven and Hell in the same shot

Heaven and Hell

Thank you, that's very beautiful to see.

BL :)

Posted

While as good all passenger planes were grounded over much of Europe, I assume the skies were almost completely clear of contrails almost Europe-wide.

A plus side of the enforced ban were the pure blue skies the weekend before last.

Surely a lack of contrails followed by a sudden appearance of them this week has had a tamporary but profound effect on the weather and general climate?

The difference over Bristol from clear skies once the planes started flying again was very marked!

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

After a day of slowly subsiding seismic charts it all seems to be shooting back up again. Another night of fireworks perhaps. If it is anything as beautiful and exciting as last night I will be glued to the webcams again.

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

Posted

While as good all passenger planes were grounded over much of Europe, I assume the skies were almost completely clear of contrails almost Europe-wide.

A plus side of the enforced ban were the pure blue skies the weekend before last.

Surely a lack of contrails followed by a sudden appearance of them this week has had a tamporary but profound effect on the weather and general climate?

The difference over Bristol from clear skies once the planes started flying again was very marked!

Surely a large amount of volcanic ash had a temporary effect on the climate?!

I haven't seen proof, indeed a peer-reviewed piece on contrails v climate change. Anyone?

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Surely a large amount of volcanic ash had a temporary effect on the climate?!

I haven't seen proof, indeed a peer-reviewed piece on contrails v climate change. Anyone?

A large amount of volcanic ash certainly will have an effect on the climate but it takes a really big ( or very long lasting ) volcanic eruption to achieve this; something like Pinatubo in the early 1990s ( 91 I think ).

Eyjafallajokull is much too small to have any noticeable impact on the climate, the ash really needs to be ejected into the lower stratosphere in very large amounts to have the desired effect.

With regard to contrails it was most noticeable this morning that all the 3 oktas cloud resulted from the spreading out of at least 24 contrails. There was a paper in 'Weather' magazine some time ago examining the increase in cloud cover and possible lowering of temperature as a result of contrails but it would take a lot of searching for me to find it.

Posted

Understood T.M.

Therefore, I'd be interested in the amount of CO2 and SO2 emitted from this volcano in comparison to 10 years worth of aircraft emissions. Groups such as Plane Stupid would do well to realise that aircraft emissions are something so miniscule in the grand scale of things. I fail to see their problem, actually.

Aircraft emissions are tiny compared to any volcanic blast.

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Understood T.M.

Therefore, I'd be interested in the amount of CO2 and SO2 emitted from this volcano in comparison to 10 years worth of aircraft emissions. Groups such as Plane Stupid would do well to realise that aircraft emissions are something so miniscule in the grand scale of things. I fail to see their problem, actually.

Aircraft emissions are tiny compared to any volcanic blast.

I beg to differ http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
Plane-free skies over Europe during Iceland's volcanic eruption may yield rare clues about how flights stoke climate change, adding to evidence from a closure of U.S. airspace after September 11, 2001, experts say.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63M1PH20100423?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtopNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Top+News%29

This was posted by netweather on Facebook today, even though John Holmes dismissed the idea on this forum two days ago

Posted

I will come back with some info on contrails along with references to those parts about contrails that I personally have doubts about. I hope an informative post. Hoping to post over the weekend-time permitting.

Posted

Wash with care

Careful how you wash your vehicles ..

This ash is scratchy and rather acidic.

BL B)